CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-27-2012, 02:21 PM   #21
Dana Rice

Profile:
Re: Question: Anyone Who Has Attended or Participated in a PL Meet

Thanks Mark. Appreciate the help man.

Question for you experienced guys - I plan on doing some heavy singles in a couple weeks - if I put links to videos in this thread, would you mind looking at them and letting me know if you think they would pass?

Here is what I was kind of mapping out in my head for my 3 attempts:

Bench: 345 (i can get this for 3, non-paused), 365, 380 (this is my current heaviest - haven't tried it paused, but I will in the next couple weeks)
Squat: 400, 430 (current PR), 450
Deadlift: 510, 530, 550

But I may go a little lighter with my first attempts after hearing all the advice.
Thanks again!
Old 04-27-2012, 02:42 PM   #22
Mark Boyle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Rice View Post
Thanks Mark. Appreciate the help man.

Question for you experienced guys - I plan on doing some heavy singles in a couple weeks - if I put links to videos in this thread, would you mind looking at them and letting me know if you think they would pass?

Here is what I was kind of mapping out in my head for my 3 attempts:

Bench: 345 (i can get this for 3, non-paused), 365, 380 (this is my current heaviest - haven't tried it paused, but I will in the next couple weeks)
Squat: 400, 430 (current PR), 450
Deadlift: 510, 530, 550

But I may go a little lighter with my first attempts after hearing all the advice.
Thanks again!
I'd probably go a bit lighter on the DL opener. 10 lbs off your current PR is pretty heavy. You don't know how you'll feel after what could be a long day. Better safe than sorry in your first meet. I'd also wait to decided your opener on bench until you've practiced with a pause (really I'd wait, or at least be willing to be flexible, on all of them until you've done some heavy singles to see where you're at).
As for your 2nd and 3rd attempts, I think there are different ways of doing things. My 2nd attempt is usually planned (based on my lifts leading up to the contest) and if possible, I make it a small PR (mainly so I can say I improved). I'll usually stick to this unless my opener sucked. I'll generally pick something that, having done my opener and seeing how that felt, I'm 99% confident I can get. My 3rd is whatever my goal was, however I usually change this based on how I'm feeling. It will basically be the heaviest weight I estimate I can do that day (maybe 75% confident).
Old 04-27-2012, 03:00 PM   #23
Eric Shuty

Profile:

Post away with the videos...

My strategy is to go light first...as in a single routinely get in training no matter how I feel. My second lift is a 5-10lb pr attempt. My third attempt is a huge, long term goal type weight if i feel great that day. If I only feel decent and I'm squeaking by I'll add another 10lbs on my second attempt weight. If you're feeli good go big or go home...when else are you gonna have a crowd of people cheering you on?
Old 05-15-2012, 11:09 AM   #24
Dana Rice

Profile:

Alright - I am finally starting to test my heavy singles this week. Here are the 3 weights I was planning to attempt at the meet in 3 weeks - actually each was 5lbs heavier than I was planning on going, but because I was lazy and didn't feel like loading a bunch of small plates, I rounded to the next 5lb increment.

If you don't mind, please critique my form, and let me know if my depth looks appropriate.

Here is 405:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLtB9UUA184

Here is 435 (a new PR):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5OVxjk3X2c

and here is 455 (a new PR):
this one is a little shaky, I know - but was obviously a max effort for me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCrMUWKbi2E
Old 05-15-2012, 11:33 AM   #25
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

I thought 405 was your worst one. 435 kicked butt and 455 was tough but I thought it looked good for depth. Just keep the chest up and push those knees out.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:03 PM   #26
Dana Rice

Profile:

Appreciate it - thanks Robert. That was the first thing I thought when I watched the video, I let my chest cave a little bit. It felt pretty f*'n heavy on my back, not gonna lie.

I've never felt my lower back fatigued on squats before - but after trying to keep that weight upright, I did.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #27
Dana Rice

Profile:

Here are my 3 planned bench attempts.

Biggest thing I had to adjust to here was the pause. It looks good to me, but what do I know. Anyone who can offer critiques on whether the pause looks legit, again - I'd appreciate it.

1st attempt - 345
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fkpjW0TzIQ

2nd attempt - 365
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKUZ-CIVE94

3rd attempt - 375
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QMnmmQ3ghs

Obvously I failed here - but am hoping that with a little adrenaline and more rest between attempts I'll be able to hit it. I felt close.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:07 AM   #28
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Be careful on those bench reps. If your feet lose contact with the ground it is a foot fault - no rep.
Also, be sure the bar really comes to a stop on your chest and count a full second - have a friend do it for you, and then have him say "PRESS!" - before you press the bar back up. That pause feels like it is a million years long, but if you are not used to it in training, it will quite a shock when you get to your competition.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:19 AM   #29
Dana Rice

Profile:

Thanks Sean -

I totally forgot about my feet. Does the entire foot have to stay firmly pressed against the ground? I can see, now that you've mentioned it, my toes come up, but my heal stays down. Is that a fault?

I was actually trying to work on having my spotter yell the cues. I think he was a little quick on the press command, particularly on the 375 attempt.

would the 365 and 345 attempt have enough pause?
Old 05-16-2012, 11:38 AM   #30
Sean Dunston

Profile:

pause on 345 looked decent, the others were pretty brief.

notes on positioning during the bench press from the handbook:

Quote:
The lifter must lie on his back with head, shoulders and buttocks in contact with the bench surface. The feet must be flat on the floor (as flat as the shape of the shoe will allow). His hands and fingers must grip the bar positioned in the rack stands with a “thumbs around” grip. This position shall be maintained throughout the lift.
Any lift is usually considered a foot fault. Happened to me at my first competition.