CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-13-2012, 12:00 AM   #1
Ben Norris

Profile:
The Ultimate Recovery Thread

Hey Everybody,

I dont think anybody on here would disagree that this forum has some top shelf information on all forms of training and nutritional advice. By the same token I dont think anybody on here could argue that alot of good information is scattered all around the place making it hard to find. Think of the hundreds of topics on what shoes to wear for Crossfit that pop up every week.

I have decided to make this thread so we have one place to discuss all things mobility, stretching, ice bathing, compression gear, icing, massaging, foam rolling, lacross balling, trigger pointing, sleeping, eating and any other recovery strategy I may have missed.

Alot of us on here love training, getting strong, getting fast become the best that we can be no matter what the challenges we may face. We may spend roughtly 1 hour training a day leaving the other 23 hours. Feel free to tell us if you icebath every day, or if after a heavy squatting day you ice your knees and what kind of mobility work you have found works best to ensure you recover quickly.

On here you can ask any question or put out any information relating to what you do in these other 23 hours to recover from the ar@e kicking we put ourselves though in the gym.

Feel free to add information you have gained over the years on warming up for specific exercises (what you do before you Olympic lift, Deadlift, Push Press) to help lift more weight and avoid injury. ie: Stretch hip flexors before squatting to help keep an upright torso.

Alot of us have niggling little injuries or sore spots and this thread is designed for others who may have been though the exact same thing as you and have found a way to cure these.

I look forward to reading everybodys recovery strategies and hope this topic will help people.

PS: If you have an actual injury like a SLAP tear post it in the injuries section. If you have recovered from a SLAP tear and you want to tell others what exercises to avoid to prevent a SLAP tear or prehab exercises you can do to avoid it feel free to post it here to help everybody out.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #2
Thomas Baker

Profile:
Re: The Ultimate Recovery Thread

Excellent idea, Ben. Look forward to what everyone is doing out there.

I aim for at least one ice bath after a tough session per week, daily foam rolling and as I type this ready to go on a recovery run and row session lasting 45-90 minutes with tons of mobility.

I'm also a huge fan of combining recovery and mobility with skillwork.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:15 PM   #3
Struan Potter

Profile:

I used to do ice baths after every tough session (both conditioning and weights), but my strength coach said that for the muscles to adapt and get stronger (or whatever else they do), they need to be sore. If you take away the symptons of pain, they aren't going to adapt, and may actually increase the risk of injury.

So if I'm sore, I just suck it up and train.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
Sara Lynn Miller

Profile:

PS:
What about people with back injuries?!
Old 02-14-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara Lynn Miller View Post
PS:
What about people with back injuries?!
heat-ice-heat-ice-heat-ice.

Seriously though, heat before WOD and ice after (even if there is no pain, it can't hurt).
Old 02-14-2012, 01:47 PM   #6
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struan Potter View Post
I used to do ice baths after every tough session (both conditioning and weights), but my strength coach said that for the muscles to adapt and get stronger (or whatever else they do), they need to be sore. If you take away the symptons of pain, they aren't going to adapt, and may actually increase the risk of injury.

So if I'm sore, I just suck it up and train.
Your coach is wrong. Soreness is by no means a requisite of adaptation.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:48 PM   #7
Collin Thompson

Profile:

I posted this in a different thread a while back but seems to fit what this thread is after:

Some random low-back pointers that have become gospel for me after compressing a couple spinal disks after botching a heavy deadlift: Stretch religiously. Sore backs can often be because of tight hamstrings and/or hips so you may want to check out mobilitywod.com (wfs) and search around. Look into foam rollers - I LOVE my rumble roller. If you sleep on your stomach you're not able to keep a very good your spine neutral, so try and become a side sleeper or a back sleeper (the best option). Consider fish oil for an anti-inflammatory. Use a weightlifting belt for deadlifts and squats (it is not a crutch). But really go over proper lifting mechanics to make sure you aren't straining your back during the lifts themselves - so many 'little things' can lead to back pain. For example during squats - keep your chest up, shoulder blades tight, knees out, deep breath before the rep to help stabilize, etc. Good luck!
Old 02-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #8
Ben Norris

Profile:

Good to see some excellent posts in here.

I have realised the importance of Mobility and Stretching after getting some tendonitis having neglected it for more than a year.

My bit of advice is we all stretch and roll our calves and quads but we forget to work on our forearms. Well at least I did. These are some of the most worked muscles in our bodies yet some of the most neglected. Give them some love and trust me they not only feel better you get more ROM at your Wrists.

I am off to book a massage now although I will more than likely be in alot of pain as my chest is very very tight...
Old 02-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #9
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struan Potter View Post
my strength coach said that for the muscles to adapt and get stronger (or whatever else they do), they need to be sore.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:53 AM   #10
Struan Potter

Profile:

I think I was being unclear. My coach brought this up because some of my teammates were taking multiple ice baths per day, let alone per week. He said its a similar effect to ibuprofen