CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-08-2012, 11:36 PM   #1
Bryce Horrell

Profile:
asymmetrical lifting (soreness on one side)

I made a post about this before but I never really resolved anything. I figured I could use some more input.

I have been lifting well these days. I concentrate on good form and appropriate intensity.

The thing is that I always get sore on my right side more than my left. For example...

Yesterday I did bent over rows, push press, lat pulldowns, barbell cleans from the waist, and bench. (some others too).

Today I am sore as hell in my right lat but not even the slightest bit in my left lat. I video taped myself doing my bent over row and I look even and symmetrical. I dont know what the issue is here. The strange thing is that even if I use dumbells I still have the same issue.

The same thing happens to me for just about every exercise I do. Even if it is light reps.

When I feel the right side of my torso it feels hard and lean. When I feel the left side it feels soft and plush.

How is this possible? Why is this happening? Why wont my body even out?
Old 02-09-2012, 08:27 AM   #2
Bryce Horrell

Profile:
Re: asymmetrical lifting (soreness on one side)

I read this online..

For the Bench..

4) Lowering the bar/pressing the bar unevenly - happens for the same reasons as the "lift one leg". One side will be stronger or more flexible, so the bar will typically be lowered farther on this side than the weak/tight side. While pressing, one side will shoot up and the other side (the weak side) gets stuck. This is a shoulder joint wreck waiting to happen. If you have issues with this, and you have been working on your barbell bench press technique for a few months, then IMMEDIATELY get rid of the bar and do 2 exercises: DB presses and dips. If you're crooked on these, you will be forced to correct the asymmetry.

My bench seems to be pretty good although I do catch myself with an uneven bar sometimes. Maybe I need to just concentrate on keeping it even. And that may involve going down in weight.

I also thought it could be lack of neuro-muscular activity on my less dominant left side of my body. I have heard that with strength training your body will eventually even out but in what time frame are we talking about here I wonder?

I think I am going to double - triple check my form again and look for tweaks. Maybe that is the key here.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #3
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: asymmetrical lifting (soreness on one side)

My best guess would be neurological efficiency (for lack of a better term) is superior on your right side vs. your left thus you are able to place greater stress on the musculature.