CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 03-08-2012, 02:49 PM   #101
Rob Samuels

Profile:  
Re: Charles Poliquin likes CrossFit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post

1. Mainsite Programming:
From reading the format that is taught at the level 1, it appears that Mainsite does not folllow that format as written. I see the same elements there, but just not in the same order. Does that make a difference if it is in the same exact order as it taught in the level 1 seminars? I don't really think so.

I would like to take a step back from the right or wrong of it and not even debate that. However as a level 1 trainer if mainsite is not using the formula taught at the level 1 for their own programming I want to know why. Either they found something they believe is more effective in which case shouldn't the trainers be told about it? Or they are experimenting as has been said, in which case again shouldn't the trainers be kept in the loop? Or its just a bunch of randomness thrown together, in which case I ask why the organization that taught me A is doing B and not A?

So right wrong or indifferent I paid a good chunk of money to get training from an organization I trusted so I feel a sense of obligation to A make sure I am able to adequately understand what it is I am teaching, or B hold the organization accountable for what they taught me. Simple.

2. Varied/Random:
Whether you want to call it varied or random (same difference to me), CrossFit Mainsite, and pretty much every crossfit programming is varied. Since CrossFit is a GPP (Conditioning) program, is that really a bad thing or does it really matter? I don't think it really matters.

I think it does matter and actually you do as well. I quote you from #5

"5. Full-body vs. Upper/Lower Body Splits:
CrossFit is big into full-body workouts. Again, for GPP, it is OK. The problem is when you do squats in a WOD on Monday and all of a sudden, you are doing Squats again on Tuesday. When are you supposed to recover? Your body needs to recover to grow. This is a programming problem."

3. Structured:
CrossFit is not strucured, at least not by my definition. Again, as a GPP Program, it really isn't a big deal. The obvious negative with that is that it is much harder to get consistant strength gains without some sort of structure. It is hard to make progress on your main lifts when you aren't sure when the next time yuo will be doing them again. It could be weeks or months. That is where the hybrid strength and conditioning programs come shines.

Paulo see above where I quoted you, it still applies. Structured benefits do not only apply to a pure strength program, they apply to GPP as well. Stimulus and recovery is what we are talking about

4. My issues with CrossFit Programming:
My issues with CrossFit Programming are some of the WODs that have rediculous amount of reps. A perfect example are the ones that have you doing 100 pullups, 50 GHD, etc. Now most people should be smart and scale down, but to be honest with you, it is hard to predict how you will feel the next day. A lot of the MetCons look easy on paper and when you are done, you feel like you just got ran over by a Mack truck. Here is one Metcon that I did last year and I couldn't walk right for 5 days. My two co-workers couldn't get out of their patrol cars:

8 rounds of:
1 minute Front Squats 135/95#
1 minute Situps

On paper that didn't look that bad. Try it and see how you feel. Sure, I could have scaled that down, but 135# wasn't that heavy to me.

I'm not even going to get into the retarded long MetCons that do nothing, but beat your body down.

Agreed, although I do see a mental benefit to an occasional beatdown.

5. Full-body vs. Upper/Lower Body Splits:
CrossFit is big into full-body workouts. Again, for GPP, it is OK. The problem is when you do squats in a WOD on Monday and all of a sudden, you are doing Squats again on Tuesday. When are you supposed to recover? Your body needs to recover to grow. This is a programming problem.

I much prefer to have Upper/Lower body splits, but that would be a little more structured and I don't know if it fits in with CrossFit (although CrossFit -Strength and LiftStrongRunFast are structured that way). Upper/Lower body splits are much easier on the body for recovery and growth. Plus it works great with a Strength Hybrid Program. Even Olympic Lifts, which are generally full body exercises, I place the squat versions on lower body days and the power versions on upper body days.

Some of these concerns, plus the fact that I just NEEDED to get stronger for my job are the reasons that I started doing my own programming. I consider myself a CrossFitter and will be as long as I keep doing what I'm doing now, but I just like to program things that work best for me. That's the beauty of it.
Pretty much the same page I think. I hope you better understand why I question certain things

Many people go to a level 1 with no or very little knowledge in regards to fitness. They have done some wods and it was cool and they got all wrapped up in it and bam wanted to open their own fitness business because they enjoy working out.

Most of what they know about fitness has come from CrossFit, not to say that there are not 100's of very well qualified extremely knowledgeable trainers out there but there are some that well they had enough money to get a website and some kettlebells now they are training. Some of the points I bring up are simply to maybe place a few question marks in peoples minds both CrossFit trainers without much experience and Crossfitters themselves who really just know what they are told, to get out and explore a little and really try and get some knowledge under their belt.

I think its important that both the positive aspects of Crossfit be celebrated but the controversial ones be explored. I will concede that maybe everybody but CrossFit is wrong, however I'm not convinced and until I am these debates will likely continue. Not meant to be antagonistic just exploring both sides.

As a side note:

The level 1 honestly should not come with the title of trainer. It should be a prerequisite to allow you to train under the guidance of someone far more qualified, someone who has demonstrated a high level of competency and skill in training, a person who's knowledge has been vetted and their ability to teach has been tested. A person who has themselves trained under the watchful eye of such a person before them. I think this type of standard and process would go a long way towards improving some of the "complaints" about CrossFit.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #102
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
Rob, you simply forgot to take the Blue or Red pill during the L1 apparently.
As I read through some of the comments on the forum it seems that some may have taken a double dose hence the reason I didn't get mine.

Last edited by Rob Samuels : 03-08-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #103
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Samuels View Post
Pretty much the same page I think. I hope you better understand why I question certain things

Many people go to a level 1 with no or very little knowledge in regards to fitness. They have done some wods and it was cool and they got all wrapped up in it and bam wanted to open their own fitness business because they enjoy working out.

Most of what they know about fitness has come from CrossFit, not to say that there are not 100's of very well qualified extremely knowledgeable trainers out there but there are some that well they had enough money to get a website and some kettlebells now they are training. Some of the points I bring up are simply to maybe place a few question marks in peoples minds both CrossFit trainers without much experience and Crossfitters themselves who really just know what they are told, to get out and explore a little and really try and get some knowledge under their belt.

I think its important that both the positive aspects of Crossfit be celebrated but the controversial ones be explored. I will concede that maybe everybody but CrossFit is wrong, however I'm not convinced and until I am these debates will likely continue. Not meant to be antagonistic just exploring both sides.

As a side note:

The level 1 honestly should not come with the title of trainer. It should be a prerequisite to allow you to train under the guidance of someone far more qualified, someone who has demonstrated a high level of competency and skill in training, a person who's knowledge has been vetted and their ability to teach has been tested. A person who has themselves trained under the watchful eye of such a person before them. I think this type of standard and process would go a long way towards improving some of the "complaints" about CrossFit.
I understand where you are coming from and agree with you, except on the part about a good beat down being good once in a while. LOL. If it interferes with work, it isn't good.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:16 PM   #104
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

Depends on why you are are training. If you are strength focused then the beat down doesn't really serve much purpose. However for endurance related events the occasional beat down style workout has huge benefits in mental toughness and confidence. In that world a beatdown may simply be the marathon at the end of your training cycle. Its important to test yourself, the way you do that is different depending on your athletic endeavor though.

Come on Paulo get your rucksack on and hit a mountain trail for 18 hours its good for you!
Old 03-09-2012, 10:43 PM   #105
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Berger View Post
Asking what method we use to program is like asking someone what method they use to speak another language. .
Russell, you said there is a method. Numerous people have asked you what it is. And yet, you have failed to answer the question everytime. Thanks.