CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-30-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
Bryce Horrell

Profile:
Talking Anybody else studying for their CSCS exam?

I am taking my test on March 31st.

Lets exchange strategies and notes!
Old 01-30-2012, 09:31 PM   #2
Preston Sprimont

Profile:
Re: Anybody else studying for their CSCS exam?

I've been meaning to begin that process for a while now... still haven't gotten around to it I really just need to get the book (you can get it on Amazon, right?) and start reading.
Are you planning on going into coaching? Do you have a bachelor's degree in a related field?
Old 01-30-2012, 09:59 PM   #3
Bryce Horrell

Profile:
Talking Re: Anybody else studying for their CSCS exam?

I have a bachelors degree in graphic design and so I can get my CSCS still.

April 4th I am leaving to the Navy (reserve) for Hospital Corpsman

When I get back I am going to college for clinical exercise physiology.

My plan is to tie all 3 together and build a great resume. I plan to work in a hospital as a clinical exercise physiologist one day.

The Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning volume 3 is a great book! I learned so much. If you want to make your studies easier I would recommend getting the Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning Symposium (15 audio CDs). The Cds are pretty much lectures.

I kind of created a college course out of it.

I read a chapter and then I listen to the lectures and take notes like a person would in college.

One other thing I do is listen to the lectures over and over and over and over. I listen to them all day. I listen to them until they are drilled into my head. It helps.

I also record myself reciting important facts and then I upload them to my MP3 player. I then listen to them over and over and over and over. I even listen to them at night when I sleep.

I did the same thing in college for history classes. It works like a damn charm!

Last edited by Bryce Horrell : 01-30-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
Preston Sprimont

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce Horrell View Post
I have a bachelors degree in graphic design and so I can get my CSCS still.

April 4th I am leaving to the Navy (reserve) for Hospital Corpsman

When I get back I am going to college for clinical exercise physiology.

My plan is to tie all 3 together and build a great resume. I plan to work in a hospital as a clinical exercise physiologist one day.

The Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning volume 3 is a great book! I learned so much. If you want to make your studies easier I would recommend getting the Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning Symposium (15 audio CDs). The Cds are pretty much lectures.

I kind of created a college course out of it.

I read a chapter and then I listen to the lectures and take notes like a person would in college.

One other thing I do is listen to the lectures over and over and over and over. I listen to them all day. I listen to them until they are drilled into my head. It helps.

I also record myself reciting important facts and then I upload them to my MP3 player. I then listen to them over and over and over and over. I even listen to them at night when I sleep.

I did the same thing in college for history classes. It works like a damn charm!
That is some darn impressive dedication and strategy. Good for you, and thank you for sharing.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one out there going for a CSCS with an entirely unrelated bachelor's degree. I have a bachelor's in Liberal Arts. The closest thing to an anatomy book I ever read in college was William Harvey's "The Anatomical Exercises - De Motu Cordis and De Circulatione Sanguinis"... really groundbreaking stuff in its time .

I assume you are wanting to get a graduate degree in Clinical Exercise Physiology?

The next step in my "plan" is to start taking pre-requisite classes so that I can go back to school part time and begin the process of getting my Master's in Kinesiology. Ideally, that degree, along with some coaching experience and a CSCS certification, will eventually land me a respectable head S&C coaching job. I'd love to work with football players at the collegiate level. We'll see.

I've had that book in my Amazon shopping cart for a while, so I'm glad to hear it's a worthwhile purchase. And thanks for the heads up on the CDs. I might go ahead and purchase those too.

Did you purchase any practice tests? I know that I've heard from people who have taken the CSCS before that they bought a bunch of practice tests to help them study.

Thanks again for the tips (and indirectly, the motivation).
Old 01-31-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
Bryce Horrell

Profile:

Preston,

It is indeed sometimes hard to learn exercise science/physiology with no formal education related to the subject. Though I think that the when we both go to college for our degree we will be a step ahead of everybody because we spent the time to study for the CSCS credential. When I first started studying for this test I really had no idea how in depth it was.

I do intend on getting a masters. I am very excited about it and I cant wait to start exploring exercise physiology under a professor! Studying for the CSCS really made me think back to college. Oh how I would love to have a professor I could ask all my questions to. It would make learning so much faster! I intend on taking advantage of my teachers in college for my next degree!

your goal of studying Kinesiology and becoming a coach is very interesting. That sounds like a very fun job. I hope you get it and I wish you luck.

I didnt buy any practice exams yet although I do intend on buying a couple.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #6
Preston Sprimont

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce Horrell View Post
Preston,

It is indeed sometimes hard to learn exercise science/physiology with no formal education related to the subject. Though I think that the when we both go to college for our degree we will be a step ahead of everybody because we spent the time to study for the CSCS credential. When I first started studying for this test I really had no idea how in depth it was.

I do intend on getting a masters. I am very excited about it and I cant wait to start exploring exercise physiology under a professor! Studying for the CSCS really made me think back to college. Oh how I would love to have a professor I could ask all my questions to. It would make learning so much faster! I intend on taking advantage of my teachers in college for my next degree!

your goal of studying Kinesiology and becoming a coach is very interesting. That sounds like a very fun job. I hope you get it and I wish you luck.

I didnt buy any practice exams yet although I do intend on buying a couple.
Thanks. I'm looking forward to the wealth of knowledge that often seems to be just floating around on a college campus too.

Good luck to you too! With all the studying you're doing, I can't imagine you not succeeding.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:15 PM   #7
Chris Girgis

Profile:

I've been studying for it for several months. It's kind of a "second career" thing for me so I'm studying on my own. I'm also 15+ years out of school with a non-exercise related B.S. degree.

So far I've read the text and have been reviewing chapter study questions and key points. I'm gonna spring for the practice exams soon and plan on taking the real deal in the first part of March.

One frustration I'm finding with the book is that an answer to a chapter study question will be very definitive but the text that addresses that topic will be very vague.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:12 AM   #8
Donald Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Girgis View Post
One frustration I'm finding with the book is that an answer to a chapter study question will be very definitive but the text that addresses that topic will be very vague.
That's because a lot of the scenarios they give in the test questions don't have definite answers in actuality.

I wouldn't fret too much over things like that. For the CSCS, the mentality of enjoying the learning process will serve you better than too much of studying to the test. The CSCS textbook is actually a fairly good primer on the basics of exercise science, although some sections are outdated or too cookie-cutter.