CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #21
Bryce Horrell

Profile:
Re: Training an obese woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
ok, then i recommend you find out more details from her. how does she define "healthy"? what is her goal weight, and why? her goal for clothes size? ask her to bring in a pic of how she hopes to look. and find out the deep motivation for her goals. what does she think she will gain from being that weight, size, look. and then ask her what she is willing to sacrifice to get there. i am only recommending this based on perosnal experience of training women, especially middle aged woman.

Her goal weight is 20 pounds I believe but I am sure she would love to lose more.

She is also interested in the benefits of strength training such as bone mineral density and being able to squat off of a toilet when she is old!

Of course her main goal is to shed weight but I think she has the right attitude for a newb. She is concerned about her body health in relation to her future which is a good thing.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #22
Bryce Horrell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
Muscular endurance is a made-up term. Strength endurance doesn't just involve Type IIA fibers. If you're involving more strength, then it'll involve more Type IIA. If you're involving less strength, then it'll involve more Type I. But, there's a spectrum of Type IIA fibers, and they fall between more or less oxidative.

Your example is just a workout protocol. It's one of many ways to train for strength endurance. I'm not sure what you're thinking about here, so I think the confusion is mutual.
I disagree.

Muscular endurance is just as made up as the word strength is. Muscular endurance is used to describe training with short rest periods, high reps (>12), and consequently lighter weight (commonly <67% of 1rep max). It is very useful in training for certain sports.

Type IIa fibers being more or less oxidative essentially means that one of the fibers (type IIa) will be more fatigue resistant and and therefore more aerobically inclined, respectively.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:05 PM   #23
Jason Wallis

Profile:

"Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime..."
Given her stated goal of 'lose weight, be healthy' and the limited amount of time you have to work with her, I would take the approach of "teaching her to fish." Take her to crossfit mainsite, and show her how to find the brand x scaling. Teach her the movements as they come up, and focus on form. Talk to her about diet without being pushy or telling her she's doing it wrong. Your success as a mentor will hinge on whether at the end of your time together you have given her the tools/knowledge/resources to continue on her fitness journey without you. Just my $.02
Old 01-17-2012, 03:15 PM   #24
Paulo Santos

Profile:

I agree with others that you should teach her how to work out properly so she could work out on her one in three months. Weight watchers isn't a bad diet at all. Just teach her to eat the right foods and she can still count her points. I have some friends that basically eat Paleo and use the Weight watchers point system to track their food. Just encourage her to make her own food instead of getting the meals. I did that with my friends and it worked. I showed them how replacing grains like rice, pasta, and breads with vegetables and she could eat more food. Veggies have no points in the weight watchers diet.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:30 PM   #25
Bryce Horrell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Wallis View Post
"Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime..."
Given her stated goal of 'lose weight, be healthy' and the limited amount of time you have to work with her, I would take the approach of "teaching her to fish." Take her to crossfit mainsite, and show her how to find the brand x scaling. Teach her the movements as they come up, and focus on form. Talk to her about diet without being pushy or telling her she's doing it wrong. Your success as a mentor will hinge on whether at the end of your time together you have given her the tools/knowledge/resources to continue on her fitness journey without you. Just my $.02
Nice analogy.

Very good advice I think. Indeed this shall be my main goal!

I have been trying to make it fun, which hopefully will motivate her to keep exercising after I leave.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:24 PM   #26
Donald Lee

Profile:

Bryce,

I'm going to say one more thing and then bow out from responding with any further advice/comments. Be humble and teachable. You'll find mentors to be invaluable during higher education and you'll want to develop good relationships with them and pick their brains. Especially keep this in mind when you disagree with advice you are given or things said or taught to you by superiors. Embrace the process of learning and growing and recognize that you'll change your beliefs a lot along the way.

Good luck with your future endeavors (cscs, clinical phys, etc.)
Old 01-17-2012, 06:52 PM   #27
Bryce Horrell

Profile:
Smile Re: Training an obese woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
Bryce,

I'm going to say one more thing and then bow out from responding with any further advice/comments. Be humble and teachable. You'll find mentors to be invaluable during higher education and you'll want to develop good relationships with them and pick their brains. Especially keep this in mind when you disagree with advice you are given or things said or taught to you by superiors. Embrace the process of learning and growing and recognize that you'll change your beliefs a lot along the way.

Good luck with your future endeavors (cscs, clinical phys, etc.)

Hey thanks Donald Lee! I appreciate the good thoughts.

P.S. I hope you didnt think I was being a smart *** with you. Debating topics is also how I tend to dive deeper and learn more about the aspects of fitness. I wasnt trying to prove you wrong, rather just explore possibilities and such.

Cheers!
Old 01-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #28
Helen M Brennan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Wallis View Post
I agree with these comments. As an olderwoman starting crossfit to get fit for life so to speak the best thing for me was learning correct form and then being encouraged to build on that... Diet sort of followed. Weight Watchers is fine if she sticks with it. Later as she has success then paleo etc will start to creep into her area of curiosity. Too much change too fast can have a very negative effect thru overloead.

Helen
Old 01-31-2012, 12:24 PM   #29
Bryce Horrell

Profile:

So far so good.

She has lost 7.5 pounds in 3 weeks.

Her aerobic performance has increased and her anaerobic performance has increased.

Her squat, deadlift, and row form is outstanding and she is making great progress everywhere.

She is also very happy with the progress she is making.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:05 PM   #30
Pearse Shields

Profile:

This may be a bit late, and I haven't read the whole thread, but my recommendation for a "lat pulldown" type exercise would be bodyweight rows. Lay a barbell across the safeties in a power rack, or adjust the bar height in a smith machine. Have the client maintain a "plank" position, and pull themselves to the bar. As they get stronger you can decrease the height of the bar.