CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2012, 02:43 AM   #1
Justin Wang
Member Justin Wang is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Los Angeles  CA
Posts: 24
Testimonial request: someone who has gone from scrawny to brawny through crossfit

Looking through these crossfit testimonals, I have read many inspiring stories of average joes who have had their lives changed by crossfit. Though there are so many amazing results, I have noticed that they are dominated by stories of ladies and gents who have experienced significant weight loss and improved health, or stories of the already very strong man who has improved from being very strong to being very, very strong.

Is there anyone out there who is a hardgainer or a skinny who has gained significant muscle mass or strength by crossfitting? Are there any testimonials or workout logs out there that I may have missed, documenting any such results? Thanks guys!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:09 AM   #2
Mark E. Wallace
Member Mark E. Wallace is offline
 
Mark E. Wallace's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cedar Park  TX
Posts: 3,869
Re: Testimonial request: someone who has gone from scrawny to brawny through crossfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Wang View Post
Is there anyone out there who is a hardgainer or a skinny who has gained significant muscle mass or strength by crossfitting? Are there any testimonials or workout logs out there that I may have missed, documenting any such results? Thanks guys!
There probably are, but personally I would steer a hardgainer/skinny towards a more strength-oriented program such as Starting Strength or Wendler 5/3/1 before having them jump into CF. That, or go for something like Chris Mason's Conjugate CF or CF Strength Bias.

You will probably gain strength through straight CF, but most likely not nearly as quickly as if you were on a pure strength program. What you choose depends on your goals.

- Mark
__________________
"Ima champ Still pushin Strong, Remember You only get what you train FOR>"
Snarky answers -- Free of charge.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:10 AM   #3
Eric Montgomery
Member Eric Montgomery is offline
 
Eric Montgomery's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 7,413
Re: Testimonial request: someone who has gone from scrawny to brawny through crossfit

Depends how strictly you interpret what "doing CF" means.

I graduated from college weighing about 175lbs and hung around that weight from around 2004 through 2007. I did affiliate and mainpage programming starting in the fall of 2007 and got down around 170lbs, where I stayed through the fall of 2009. Then I decided I was tired of being 6' and 170lbs with a 225lb 1RM squat, so I started on the 70s Big program and gained 35-40lbs in a few months while adding lots of weight to all my lifts and still maintaining pretty good numbers on metcons. I've done OPT's program in preparation for the Games qualifiers for the last two years, but as of last May I've been focusing on getting stronger. Most recently I've been doing GSLP and have maintained my weight at 205-210lbs for about two years now.

As Mark said, you're unlikely to gain a lot of weight or strength doing CF.com workouts. Your best bet is to do a strength-biased hybrid program and eat a lot.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:23 PM   #4
David Meverden
Member David Meverden is offline
 
David Meverden's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Charleston  SC
Posts: 2,802
Re: Testimonial request: someone who has gone from scrawny to brawny through crossfit

I can say unequivocally that I got a whole lot bigger and stronger because of CrossFit. CrossFit made me put a yard stick to my fitness, put a number on it, and realize that I wasn't that fit, and certainly wasn't very strong. It made me want to be better. It's because of CrossFit that I learned to squat correctly, started deadlifting, learned about a dozen different ways to train, and laid a foundation that could be used to gain real strength.

It wasn't the kinds of workouts that CF is best known for (the high intensity one's performed for time) that got me that strength, it was the time spent under heavy barbells doing hard sets of 5, and 3, and 1 and tough assistance work, but it was this community that made me aware of the right ways to train for that strength and got me motivated to do it.

I posted this in the 1000lb CFT club thread:

Quote:
First CFT: 6-28-08
Age: 25 5'11" tall, 170#
SQUAT: 235
PRESS: 125
DEADLIFT: 305
TOTAL: 665

CFT Tonight: 10-18-11
Age: 28 still 5'11", 215#
SQUAT: 405
PRESS: 185
DEADLIFT: 455
TOTAL: 1045!
Out of that 3 years I spent 5 months of it on dedicated strength programs (2 months on SS w/gomad and 3 months on GSLP). The rest of the time I was maintaining a fairly high level of conditioning doing just CF workouts, Mason's CF Conjugate, a 5/3/1 hybrid, or just my own thing with extra lifting added in. Now I'm following CrossFit Fairbanks program.

I could have gained that strength a bunch faster, or gotten a lot stronger in the same time period, if I had dedicated myself to nothing but getting bigger and stronger, or if I'd been willing to workout more than 3-4 times a week, but I've enjoyed what I've done and have liked being not just strong, but fit. Enjoyed being someone that could not just lift a decently heavy barbell but jump in with little notice to a 10k, a 4 mile obstacle laden challenge course, a CF competition, or a cyclocross race.

That's my story in a nutshell. You can take it for what it's worth.

Last edited by David Meverden : 01-03-2012 at 04:27 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:31 AM   #5
Damon Stewart
Affiliate Damon Stewart is offline
 
Damon Stewart's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: S Ogden  UT
Posts: 997
Re: Testimonial request: someone who has gone from scrawny to brawny through crossfit

I've went from around 150lbs to just under 180lbs. I program for myself and have been Crossfitting since late 2004/early 2005. I do make a concerted effort to gain weight every year for at least a 6 week cycle. Strength numbers are decent...400+ BS, 340 FS, 225 Sn, 275 C & J, 445 DL. Not too bad, especially at 34.
__________________
http://WasatchCrossfit.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #6
Lincoln Brigham
Member Lincoln Brigham is offline
 
Lincoln Brigham's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Kirkland  WA
Posts: 3,987
Re: Testimonial request: someone who has gone from scrawny to brawny through crossfit

Damon, I got that beat! I went from 148 (age 37) to 192 (age 50) and kept my waist size to 34".
(Although right now I keep my weight at 165 for the lightweight rowing division. Not all of my training during that time has been Crossfit, either.)
Younger guys putting on weight and strength is fairly common but you don't often see it with the middle-aged guys, not without getting fat at the same time.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #7
Helen M Brennan
Member Helen M Brennan is offline
 
Helen M Brennan's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Coominya  QLD Australia
Posts: 487
Re: Testimonial request: someone who has gone from scrawny to brawny through crossfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
Damon, I got that beat! I went from 148 (age 37) to 192 (age 50) and kept my waist size to 34".
(Although right now I keep my weight at 165 for the lightweight rowing division. Not all of my training during that time has been Crossfit, either.)
Younger guys putting on weight and strength is fairly common but you don't often see it with the middle-aged guys, not without getting fat at the same time.
impressive!
just goes to show that middle age spread is not mandatory..
i have more strength and no middle age spread since i started CF ( and yup started late in life) many women comment on how lucky i am to be lean and are surprised when i say that i am a newb to leaness and in my journey to fitness have shed 22kgs.. Helen
__________________
you don't drown by falling into water. you drown by staying there. Edwin Louis Cole
f/68/56k
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #8
Jay Rhodes
Member Jay Rhodes is offline
 
Jay Rhodes's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Stoney Creek  ON Canada
Posts: 3,304
Re: Testimonial request: someone who has gone from scrawny to brawny through crossfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
I can say unequivocally that I got a whole lot bigger and stronger because of CrossFit. CrossFit made me put a yard stick to my fitness, put a number on it, and realize that I wasn't that fit, and certainly wasn't very strong. It made me want to be better. It's because of CrossFit that I learned to squat correctly, started deadlifting, learned about a dozen different ways to train, and laid a foundation that could be used to gain real strength.

It wasn't the kinds of workouts that CF is best known for (the high intensity one's performed for time) that got me that strength, it was the time spent under heavy barbells doing hard sets of 5, and 3, and 1 and tough assistance work, but it was this community that made me aware of the right ways to train for that strength and got me motivated to do it.

I posted this in the 1000lb CFT club thread:



Out of that 3 years I spent 5 months of it on dedicated strength programs (2 months on SS w/gomad and 3 months on GSLP). The rest of the time I was maintaining a fairly high level of conditioning doing just CF workouts, Mason's CF Conjugate, a 5/3/1 hybrid, or just my own thing with extra lifting added in. Now I'm following CrossFit Fairbanks program.

I could have gained that strength a bunch faster, or gotten a lot stronger in the same time period, if I had dedicated myself to nothing but getting bigger and stronger, or if I'd been willing to workout more than 3-4 times a week, but I've enjoyed what I've done and have liked being not just strong, but fit. Enjoyed being someone that could not just lift a decently heavy barbell but jump in with little notice to a 10k, a 4 mile obstacle laden challenge course, a CF competition, or a cyclocross race.

That's my story in a nutshell. You can take it for what it's worth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Stewart View Post
I've went from around 150lbs to just under 180lbs. I program for myself and have been Crossfitting since late 2004/early 2005. I do make a concerted effort to gain weight every year for at least a 6 week cycle. Strength numbers are decent...400+ BS, 340 FS, 225 Sn, 275 C & J, 445 DL. Not too bad, especially at 34.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
Damon, I got that beat! I went from 148 (age 37) to 192 (age 50) and kept my waist size to 34".
(Although right now I keep my weight at 165 for the lightweight rowing division. Not all of my training during that time has been Crossfit, either.)
Younger guys putting on weight and strength is fairly common but you don't often see it with the middle-aged guys, not without getting fat at the same time.
Got a couple winners here!!

I went from about 178lbs....not sure what BF%, but I'll guess 15ish, waist size 31-32. down to probably 159-160 at my absolute lightest during CF. Lost all my BF, but didn't have too much muscle...
Now am back up to 173-174lbs, BF 5% and waist is back down to 29-30....quads don't fit the pants though
__________________
27/5'10"/170 | training log | youtube | Athlete Page
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:49 PM   #9
Hector Santiago
Member Hector Santiago is offline
 
Hector Santiago's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Columbia  SC
Posts: 202
Re: Testimonial request: someone who has gone from scrawny to brawny through crossfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Wang View Post
Looking through these crossfit testimonals, I have read many inspiring stories of average joes who have had their lives changed by crossfit. Though there are so many amazing results, I have noticed that they are dominated by stories of ladies and gents who have experienced significant weight loss and improved health, or stories of the already very strong man who has improved from being very strong to being very, very strong.

Is there anyone out there who is a hardgainer or a skinny who has gained significant muscle mass or strength by crossfitting? Are there any testimonials or workout logs out there that I may have missed, documenting any such results? Thanks guys!
there is your Answer!!

ME!!

before about 126 LB when i started, Now about 150 in a heavy day.

now 2:37 Fran Rx'd
3 x BW deadlift 450 LB
225LB Clean and jerk
165 Snatch

new Goals by the end of this Year.
265LB Clean and jerk or more weight
225 LB snatch

only doing Oly lifting for a while though and getting better at the lifts. my Friend went to from weighting 150 to 194 LB and he used to Clean and jerk 225 now he clean and jerk 305 LB, snatch his went from 165 LB to 265 LB

SANTI

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=62130 (WFS)
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Diary of a Scrawny Guy-Scrawny No More Michael J Beggs Workout Logs 18 03-19-2011 09:06 AM
testimonial to Crossfit Richard Hancock Testimonials 0 07-12-2008 12:08 PM
My Crossfit Testimonial Dale Pomeroy Testimonials 1 07-24-2007 02:33 AM
Request for Data on Implementation of Crossfit in the Army Darren Zega Fitness 12 07-22-2007 01:04 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.