CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:58 AM   #21
Brendan McNamar

Profile:
Re: Affiliating worth it?

On a different note I like your attitude about having enough equipment. Buying equipment intelligently can help a lot. You can get 2 barbells and enough bumper plates to cover a lot of strength training for the price of 1 rower.

Major suggestion "GET BARBELLS IN WOMEN"S HANDS!". Treat them like the serious athletes they are or can become. You will run out of room quickly.

I will tell you having opened out of my house and now having around 40 members 14 months later most of my extra money goes into purchasing equipment.

I'm getting ready to move out of the house and all I will have to buy is a new pull up bar structure. I have accumulated everything else. So as my membership increases I will be able to pay myself better because I already own most of the equipment I need.

Another solution is to split you programing so half the group does one thing and the other half does something different. The next day they switch. This allows you to cover more ground with less equipment. Too many gyms are stuck on this notion of everyone must do the same thing on the same day. Just not true.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:44 AM   #22
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

Wondering if the succesful affiliates feel that success is because of the crossfit name or in spite of it?

I can totally see for a new box, the name adding credibility to potential clients who really are new to the idea of crossfit. I think however that may be where the benefit ends.

The name wont keep clients so if you are a great facility with great training and a reasonable price, word will get around.

At one point "crossfit" was new and a stand alone gym it was succesful for many reasons, none of which was the name.

I love analogy's and this one reminds me of Mcdonalds. Huge corporation, stores open all over the world billions served daily, the name is synonymous with hamburgers.

Yet ask anbody where you can get a great burger, nobody ever says Mcdonalds. Its always some hole in the wall someplace you never heard of but you go there and there is always a line out the door.

Crossfit has done a lot for the fitness industry but I dont think you "need" the name to be succesful and as was already pointed out, if your even asking the question on if you should affiliate or not, perhaps you have already answered it. It should be something you really want and feel you have to have. Otherwise just run a great box without it.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:47 PM   #23
Brian Strump

Profile:

The CrossFit name won't keep people, but it certainly will get more people calling, and looking for you than if you didn't have it. We've lately have been getting people calling or coming by after seeing "CrossFit" on ESPN. I highly doubt any globo got the same traffic because of it.
Regardless of how great your facility is, CrossFit or not, you still need warm bodies looking for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Samuels View Post
Wondering if the succesful affiliates feel that success is because of the crossfit name or in spite of it?

I can totally see for a new box, the name adding credibility to potential clients who really are new to the idea of crossfit. I think however that may be where the benefit ends.

The name wont keep clients so if you are a great facility with great training and a reasonable price, word will get around.

At one point "crossfit" was new and a stand alone gym it was succesful for many reasons, none of which was the name.

I love analogy's and this one reminds me of Mcdonalds. Huge corporation, stores open all over the world billions served daily, the name is synonymous with hamburgers.

Yet ask anbody where you can get a great burger, nobody ever says Mcdonalds. Its always some hole in the wall someplace you never heard of but you go there and there is always a line out the door.

Crossfit has done a lot for the fitness industry but I dont think you "need" the name to be succesful and as was already pointed out, if your even asking the question on if you should affiliate or not, perhaps you have already answered it. It should be something you really want and feel you have to have. Otherwise just run a great box without it.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:26 AM   #24
Bryan Hood

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
Look at reconditioned rowers.
they are listed here (wfs) for under $600
http://www.globalfitness.com/fitness...ent.aspx?fID=1

Airdynes are also excellent (and cheap compared to C2 rowers) and are no-impact for your injured clients.
+1 on that. I bought 2 rowers in my initial purchase and 2 Airdynes. I found the Airdynes on Craigslist. Both for under $400 a piece. 2 Airdynes for 1 rower? Do the math.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:50 AM   #25
Bryan Hood

Profile:

December 13 last year I got home from Afghanistan. My wife picked me up from the airport. Hugs and kisses, got into the car and looked at her and said, "I'm gonna open a CrossFit gym". She looked at me and said, "OK". I have done CF off and on since '06. I know, like most CF'ers, what kind of results people get from doing CF safely and making it a lifestyle choice. It works, no doubt about it. I made the conscious decision last November to wash the pill down WITH the kool-aid and become a CF representative. Like Lisbeth, I rarely go out without wearing something that says CrossFit on it because I am not only representing the community but my box as well. It sucks paying that 3 grand to affiliate. But besides the military community I've been in for almost 20 years, there is no other community like CF. I thought for a moment, in the beginning after my level 1 cert, of just having a gym but NOT calling it CF. I personally think it's chicken **** (pardon me) to copy, duplicate and try to be/act like a CF affiliate without actually being one because you want to save money or whatever. That tells me a lot about a person and their integrity. Next, they'll be the one standing in line for a government handout because they don't have the nuts to make sacrifices and work hard. Business is slow for me and the city is trying to put in a CrossFit at the local community center where they will charge half of what I charge. I'll keep driving forward because the folks who do come, my clients, are proud to say they are CrossFitters. Don't think only about yourself, think about your clients. You're offering a service to the public. You are helping people by giving them something they can be proud to be a part of because not everyone else does it. We have poser CF joints in my area. Once one of their clients do it for a while, they usually end up going to a CF joint and joining because they get sick of telling people they belong to a gym that is "like" CrossFit. They want the real deal. Do you wear fake Nike's made in Mexico or real ones? Roger up, affiliate and join the family. We're all here to support each other. We all fall on hard times. We all have made that commitment. Til death do us part.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:34 PM   #26
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

It is pretty BS to do CF yet not be a CF gym. I'll agree on that. Especially if you are gonna use CF terminology and WOD names.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:36 PM   #27
Lisbeth Darsh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cooper View Post
This raises a question, though, that maybe Lis can answer: would HQ ever consider financing a new Affiliate's fees, especially in their first year? I can definitely see the hurdle of staring down insurance fees, a new lease, etc. on new business owners.
Sorry -- I'm a bit late to this question, Chris. Not around on the message boards often, but you know you can find me on Facebook and Twitter!

If by financing, you mean a payment plan for affiliate fees, there is a plan in the works to implement such a thing. I believe we're hoping to have it up and running in the new year, but I'll have to double check on that. Lots of things going on as we continue with explosive growth -- priorities and projects all over the place!
Old 11-02-2011, 03:40 AM   #28
Chris Cooper

Profile:

That's it exactly, thanks. I think it may help with the fee hurdle (though it's low) for new Affiliates.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:05 AM   #29
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cooper View Post
That's it exactly, thanks. I think it may help with the fee hurdle (though it's low) for new Affiliates.
IMO, this is just dumb. Save the money and affiliate or don't. Businesses need capital to grow. HQ loaning money(only $3k) is only going to lead them to becoming a back and then get a bad name when an affiliate fails, doesn't pay back HQ, and then those people will complain that HQ wants their money back. Really, it's $3000! It's called planning, saving, and having some financial savvy.

I could see if it was $10,000+, but come on now.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:17 AM   #30
Brad Gerbrandt

Profile:

Why is it dumb?

I say +1 for the financing option!

The first year we just pony'ed up, now it would be nice to have it worked in as a monthly expense verses a big bill all at once.