CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-16-2007, 11:43 AM   #1
Richard Paul Ham-Williams

Profile:
Hi,

I have an issue with my squatting;

Although I keep my lumbar spine in extension and my weight back on my heels, I find that my torso leans forward a fair amount past 45 degrees, it is not so bad with bodyweight only movements, however under load I find my chest moving closer and closer to the floor, it is quite funny to see:-)

I do find though it limits my ability to push heavy as my lower back tends to tire a little, my lower back is prety strong from plenty of Romanian deadlifitng and the like.

I thought it maybe something to do with my dodgy knee not bending much past 90degrees, however I also have a client with the same issue with healthy knees.

Any ideas?

Ta for now
Old 01-16-2007, 09:56 PM   #2

Profile:

if the hips are pushed back way behind the feet, the torso will have to lean forward or the COG will not be over the base. to maintain an upright torso requires that the hips remain as near to the feet as possible.

if your knee doesn't bend more than 90dg, you're going to have trouble getting into a full-depth, upright squat--it can't be done. with your client, it;s more likely just a matter of the hips and knees being pushed too far back to allow the torso to remain upright.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:09 AM   #3

Profile:
Cheers Greg,

Just wanted to make sure I wasnt being a muppet:-)

Old 01-18-2007, 04:32 AM   #4
Gorm Laursen

Profile:
I had the same problem and solved it very effectively by working hard on deadlifts (as it's a flawed relationship between leg- and back strength that's causing your problem: your legs are capeable of lifting more than your back) and replacing back squats with front squats and pistols exclusively.

I used to hate front squats but now I'm actually almost just as strong in front squats as in back squats and can do pistols with additional 35 kgs. Pistols rule!
Old 01-18-2007, 06:38 AM   #5

Profile:
Rock on Gorm, I agree, pistols are cool.

Pistols on my right leg are no problem, record is 20 with 20k, I can do a few with 32 but dont really train them that much.

I will start more work on my front squats, have been toying with the idea but now I will get on and do it:-)

Old 01-18-2007, 07:39 AM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Work on light OHS and Front Squats for form...they will show you where the issues lie...whether inflexibility, posterior chain weakness or even weak spinal errectors.