CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-02-2011, 11:29 AM   #1
Bryce Horrell

Profile:
Question Exercise Physiology

Hey guys.

I was wondering if any of you have ever studied exercise physiology?

I have recently applied at a university for fall 2012 to study exercise physiology. I was wondering how you like(ed) it? I have been studying for my CSCS credential and I have loved everything I have been reading. I know that the university will be a lot deeper but its a start at least.

My father goes to visit a cancer clinic and he recently saw an exercise physiologist. He said it would be a great thing for me to study. I would love to train people or even get a job in a hospital like those people my father talked to.

Thanks
Old 10-02-2011, 12:00 PM   #2
Brian Hyland

Profile:
Re: Exercise Physiology

Hey Bryce,

I think the first thing you'd want to think about is what you want to do with it after school. It's great stuff to study and get into if you're into it for sure, but as pricey as college is these days definitely make sure you have some ideas of what you want to turn it into afterwards.

All that aside it's very cool learning about what makes everything tick at an atomic/nanoscopic level. Even from a personal training perspective you end up learning a lot about why certain things happen and how to change your parameters to meet certain goals or affect how things will turn out.

Again not sure what you want to do with it, but knowing how everything's put together and how it all works opens up a whole new world of understanding the abilities and limits of the human body, really cool stuff! Good luck!!!
Old 10-02-2011, 12:04 PM   #3
Donald Lee

Profile:

Bryce,

Are you going back to school for a Masters?
Old 10-02-2011, 12:36 PM   #4
Bryce Horrell

Profile:
Thumbs up Re: Exercise Physiology

Brian, when you study exercise phsyiology how far do you go into biology and chemistry? As in how many courses? I am curious as to what the programs are made up of. I am of course going to take a tour and find out for sure but for now any info you have would be great. Thanks!

Donald, I am able to study for my CSCS because I have a BFA in graphic design. The thing is I hate graphics design and so now I want to go back for exercise physiology and study something I love. Or at least have an extremely strong interest in.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:45 PM   #5
Donald Lee

Profile:

Bryce, I don't know why you'd spend money on a second bachelor's. A bachelor's in Ex Phys opens up no doors. In my opinion, your best options are self-study and/or junior college courses. Even a Master's in an exercise-related subject can be largely useless for most people. I went back to school again for pre-med after avoiding all science classes as an undergrad, so I have a fairly good understanding of the pros/cons of going back to school.

I know it's popular to get degrees nowadays, but it's better to get a job and be industrious and learn on the go. Professional degrees are necessary, but others are often not worth the time and money.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:29 PM   #6
Bryce Horrell

Profile:
Lightbulb Re: Exercise Physiology

I want to go back for several reasons. It started when I began studying for my CSCS credential. About 2 months after I started my studies I found myself amazed and pounding with tons of questions. Some of those questions I could use the internet to solve but some of them are so deep and complex that I need a proffesor to turn to. I belive that a one on one sit down with a professor or classroom setting would be extremely profound. Not only would I have the chance to as my questions but I would also have a great opportunity to sit down with my fellow peers and discuss exercise physiology.

My other motivation is a masters degree. I would be the first one in my family to earn a masters and I also think it would be extremely useful. A bachelors unlocked a world full of opportunity for me. What could a masters do I wonder?

I also think ahead. What do I want? I want to work with people whether it means in a hospital or through reasearch. Research would be my choice area of work but how you get there I do not know. Maybe by getting a P.hD. I want to someday start my own crossfit gym. I think that having a solid history in exercise science would definitely make my gym legit. I could really spread around some usefull and amazing knowledge to people!
Old 10-02-2011, 01:48 PM   #7
Donald Lee

Profile:

Some graduate programs require an undergraduate degree in an exercise-related degree, but many do not. I think you're making a HUGE mistake, as I am speaking from experience. I can relate to your thought process, and I decided to go back to school, but you do not want to dig yourself into a hole you'll have a hard time getting out of.

If you would like more advice, feel free to ask away. If you don't want to listen to what I have to say, I'll stop as well.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:49 PM   #8
Brian Hyland

Profile:

Well Bryce, the classes you'll need to take will depend on your degree program at the individual school. The program I'm taking (Health Promotion) is a good background of science and a bunch of business type classes as well. So it'll depend on exactly what the school requires you to take for the degree.

However, there's a lot of background involved with Exercise Phys. The basic biology of the body is extremely important, as is a basic understanding of chemistry. Beyond that taking some kinnesiology and bio-chem classes would give you a much more in depth background and would definitely be useful from a training perspective. A good understanding of programming under different circumstances is a good way to make sure you can apply all the knowledge, and depending on how far you are with your CSCS you've probably got a lot of that going already.

If you're just interested in the information you can find any textbooks you want online somewhere, as well as video tutorials for basic principles. It's that pretty piece of paper with a school's name on it that's gonna really cost you.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:39 PM   #9
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
I think you're making a HUGE mistake, as I am speaking from experience.
I don't see how you can make such an emphatic statement for a person you have never met. What you have experienced may have little to no relevance for this persons situation and imposing your own preconceived notions and biases with such emphasis in such a situation is not going to help anyone.

If you feel strongly about getting a graduate degree you would be better served by telling the OP your story, what happened, and why you have decided in retrospect why it was a mistake. Then the OP can decide whether your situation is at all similar or relevant to his and make a decision accordingly. Assuming everyone else will have the same experience as you, or comes from the same perspective is extremely faulty thinking.

That said to the OP I have this. I have found that in life if you can never go wrong by following your passions. Whether grad school is right for you or not, only you can say, but I can tell you it will open doors and provide for personal growth in something you sound very passionate about. It does come at a cost though, unless you can get funding through a scholarship or have excess cash laying around. That said, in an economy such as this when finding a well paying job can be few and far between, improving your credentials with further training can often be a very worthwhile investment.

I would recommend talking to family and friends, but also professors, and even alumni (schools will often provide this at your request) of the programs you are investigating and talking with them about how it will effect your future. This way you can get an accurate cost/benefit analysis before you make the final decision to enroll or not.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:03 PM   #10
Donald Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
I have found that in life if you can never go wrong by following your passions. Whether grad school is right for you or not, only you can say, but I can tell you it will open doors and provide for personal growth in something you sound very passionate about.
Robert, I think you're reading into what I wrote, and I don't agree with those statements.

I wrote that Bryce could ask for more advice if he wanted.