CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-07-2011, 05:50 PM   #11
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: multiple WODS and PWO nutrition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
If strength is your limiting factor I'd recommend doing any of the strength-biased programs you see discussed on here. I'm partial to GSLP because of its simplicity and the results I've seen on it myself and with others at my gym, but you can see gains on those strength numbers pretty easily with regular strength work.

As for nutrition, I agree with Chris that 100% Paleo is probably not the best option. My solution lately has been to go to the grocery store and buy quick oats in the 3lb tubs and make a few 500-700 calorie shakes per day to supplement my 3-4 meals....about 1 cup of oats, 2 scoops of whey (plug for Nitrean+ here), water, and a little coconut milk or olive oil for good fats and you've got a very convenient and tasty shake with a good dose of carbs and protein. I feel like my gains and recovery have been much better since I boosted my carb intake from ~75g a day to the 175-200g range, even if oats aren't "Paleo." And I haven't been getting soft like I did with the huge lactose doses I was getting when I did GOMAD last year. Sweet potatoes would also work well, but I like oats for convenience.
Thank you .
Old 08-07-2011, 06:08 PM   #12
Eric S. Jensen

Profile:

Eric I def remember you blowing up last year. And I did too when I did GOMAD a few months ago. I got up to 210 lbs but my work capacity really suffered. But I hit PR's in squat, deadlift, CJ, snatch, press basically everything strength. In the last month I've dropped over 15 lbs.

Chris I've been reading your articles from the Journal again today. Can I PM you if I have any specific questions?
Old 08-07-2011, 06:56 PM   #13
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S. Jensen View Post
Eric I def remember you blowing up last year. And I did too when I did GOMAD a few months ago. I got up to 210 lbs but my work capacity really suffered. But I hit PR's in squat, deadlift, CJ, snatch, press basically everything strength. In the last month I've dropped over 15 lbs.

Chris I've been reading your articles from the Journal again today. Can I PM you if I have any specific questions?
Haha yeah, that was partly by design though. Eventually I just decided to try to gain as much weight as I could while I was on 70s Big, mainly to make a mockery of the USMC height/weight standards. The weird thing was that my metcon didn't suffer all that much except for strictly bodyweight stuff and distance running...I maintained or improved my Fran/Helen/FGB/etc. scores.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:23 PM   #14
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
this morning was tough working out fasted.
warm up
box sq 3sx5reps 155, 185, 205
back sq 2x5 215, 235

short metcon
30 burpee pullups
3min

PWO shake 30g pro 1/2 large sweet potato

breakfast
4oz chicken
4 slices bacon
cheeseburger patty
banana
veggies

afternoon
from Cfne
12 min AMRAP
10 toes to bar
20 box jump 24"
30 walking lunge
4 rounds plus 9 toes to bar

Pwo shake 30g protein

This is FAR to few calories for the day but as I sit here after my 2nd shake I'm full! I think I'm going to start drizzling olive oil over everything again and drinking whole milk with my meals.
You may have stated it, but why are you training fasted?

In terms of your diet you may also not be consuming enough calories. I don't want you to get fat, and I don't want you to gain much body weight, but if you are after performance and strength then not supplying your body sufficient calories will limit your results.

I think that for CrossFit performance purposes you should be consuming no less than 35% of your total caloric intake from carbs with the majority of that being non-fibrous. That means you will likely need to incorporate some grains, just like the majority of top tier CrossFit athletes.

In terms of training, based upon your stated goals I would do a strict Westside template 4 days per week. On the off days, I would use 2 of them for doing single WODs each day.

Do that for 3 months or so and you should see a very nice strength increase. I would them back down the strength work to a maintenance phase and focus on building your metcon via WODs etc.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:41 PM   #15
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:

Sure .