CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-27-2011, 12:13 PM   #11
Rick Hardin

Profile:
Re: Peanut Butter and Jelly

You know what time it is!
Old 07-27-2011, 12:15 PM   #12
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hardin View Post
You know what time it is!
Sure do (wfs).
Old 07-27-2011, 12:54 PM   #13
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Traeger View Post
... or jam as we call it in Aus.

In a recent video on the CF Journal, Froning was eating this stuff with a spoon from a pre-mixed tub.

I like both of those ingredients but can't stand them mixed together. Looks like he loves it.

I'm curious what you guys think the nutritional reasoning this is. Neither of the foods are paleo. Under a zone prescription it might be a block of carbs and a block of fat but no protein so presumably he doesn't zone, either. Though it did look like he was downing a few cups of milk as well?

Under what nutritional plan / diet does this food suit an athlete under a month from competition?
Peanut butter and jelly provide an easy to digest energy dense source of protein, carbohydrates and monounsaturated fats which is exactly what an athlete with high energy requirements needs. Dried fruit and nuts would be a better option though as dried fruit provides more nutrients per calorie than jelly or jam.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:01 PM   #14
Matt Thomas

Profile:

I think it would rarely be advisable for the average person to follow the dietary habits of a high level competitor.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:32 PM   #15
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
I think it would rarely be advisable for the average person to follow the dietary habits of a high level competitor.
Agreed, especially when said high level competitor is still in his early 20's. Dietarily, you can get away with a lot at that age, most of which doesn't fly anymore once you get past 30.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:14 PM   #16
Brett Dartt

Profile:

F that.i like peanut butter and jelly. So I eat peanut butter and jelly
Old 07-30-2011, 09:48 PM   #17
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

it also helps when you are just maintaining, not trying to "get lean". i think it was spealler that was quoted once "i don't zone, i don't paleo, i eat what i want, when i want, as much as i want" i'm pretty sure most young guys that work hard enough to compete could get away with that. i know when i do backcountry pack trips in the mountains i can eat as many calories as i want and still will lose weight. and i'm an old fat guy. i can only imagine what these guys metabolisms must be like.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:40 AM   #18
Thom Wendelboe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Swartz View Post

Rich used to eat fast food supposedly on the reg going into the 2010 games. I don't think he cares too much about zone or paleo.
That doesn't surprise me. Many professional football (American) players eat a diet of fastfood. Chad OchoCinco for instance. For the most part, elite athletes just worry more about getting calories. Dr. John Berardi noted as much when addressing NFL players at a recent Nike procamp, stating that pro players "are at the top of [their] game" and didn't "need anyone [telling them] what or how to eat." [Source (WFS)] Of course, there are exceptions. When injured, pro-hockey player Kyle Wellwood ballooned in weight and found himself washing out of the NHL. He was signed by the Vancouver Canucks and put on a very paleo-esque diet by the training staff. Head trainer Roger Takahashi instructed the portly player to cut out "a lot of things normal guys eat" and Wellwood noted he "shed eight pounds in ten days" by sticking to "lean meat and vegetables." [Source (WFS)] Unfortunately, most people fall into the Wellwood category.

A problem arises when "normal" people think they work out like a professional athlete and follow a similar dietary scheme. One individual in this thread noted that he had made himself some of Froning's mixture. Unless he is trying to bulk up OR working out on the level of a competitive athlete, this is likely in error. On may match an elite athletes work volume, but without the competitive background (highschool possibly, likely college/national) the intensity, and thus caloric expenditure, is likely dissimilar. While crossfit provides an atmosphere that promotes intensity, most "weekend-warriors" will lack the mental fortitude to really push themselves during their workouts.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:10 AM   #19
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Traeger View Post
I'm curious what you guys think the nutritional reasoning this is.
Calories, pure and simple. Mainly fat and protein, some sugar from the jelly. Peanut butter by the spoonful is great if looking to get extra calories in your diet. In other words, not everyone is concerned about abz.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:38 AM   #20
Michael Kelley

Profile:

For a couple of years I ate a PB&J sandwich on high fiber wheat bread every single morning for breakfast. I always worked out and was relatively fit, but carried a solid "spare tire." I started doing CF regularly on Jan 2, 2011. I lost a few pounds and then that leveled off. About a month ago, I stopped eating the PB&J and replaced it with a portion of chicken or beef and some berries. I made some other reductions in the bread/pasta and sugar consumption, but nothing drastic. I changed nothing about my workout regimen, except that I am more limited as a result of an elbow injury. I don't have a scale, but I've lost some significant body fat just from those changes. I'm a belt loop tighter on both the belts I usually wear and I have to wear one with the shorts I'm wearing now or they will fall off as I walk around the house. A month ago I could comfortably wear them with no support. I have a 5k run route that I do every couple of weeks, and without extra running I shaved 27 seconds off my per mile pace when I ran it this past week. I'm convinced that PB&J wasn't helping me at age 36.