CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-24-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
Bryce Horrell

Profile:
Lightbulb Does anybody have an Exercise/Health related degree?

Or are you studying for one?

I am curious about who here has studied to get an exercise related degree. What jobs were you able to come by? What jobs do you want? Did you get your masters? Did your college make you aquire your CSCS or NSCA-CPT credential at the end of your degree?

With a exercise related degree what kind of money do you plan on bringing in and how? What are your strategies.

I am going back to college next fall to study exercise science. I already have my general education completed from my previous degree and I am currently studying for my CSCS credential. By having completed my CSCS before my degree, I think I will definitely have a leg up on everybody. Especially because the Universities exercise science program are supported and influenced by the NSCA.

I am exploring opportunities within this degree. I am trying to narrow down career choices that could help me bring in enough cash to make realistic payments on my loans. I think I definitely want to shoot for my masters in exercise science which should help in getting a better job.

Does anybody here have any input here?
Old 07-24-2011, 11:23 AM   #2
Brad Gerbrandt

Profile:
Re: Does anybody have an Exercise/Health related degree?

I have a master's in Ex Sci and my day job is conducting research in a Biomechanics lab. It's a great job and I get to work with everyone from professional athletes to elderly suffering from athritis. I feel extremely luck to have the job as I know they are few and far between.

Throughout my degree I was a strength coach for my University during which I gained valuable experience in programming and training athletes. I got my CPT from CSEP (Canadian certs) and then studied for about 6 months for my CSCS. I feel I could of aced the test but in the end I didn't take it. I was shifting my focus more towards CrossFit and decided to get my level 1 instead. I knew that I wasn't going to work as a strength coach at the university long term and the cost of the certs was about the same. I didn't feel that a cert that stressed the importance of, say, how you should lay out the machines in your gym over how you should squat was where I wanted to aline myself. I knew many people with a CSCS that couldn't train themselves out of a paper bag with an automatic training device! Yes, it would have looked better on my resume than a L1 but I knew that my degree would be good enough for most employers.
I have since opened an affiliate and couldn't be happier. I can program how I like and be my own boss. It is a huge time commitment on top of my full time job but we have hired 3 new staff which allows me to take a bit of a step back from training if I feel burnt out.
I hope that helps
Old 07-24-2011, 11:37 AM   #3
Donald Lee

Profile:

Check these posts out (all WFS):

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2009/1...itness-part-1/

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2009/1...itness-part-2/

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2009/1...itness-part-3/

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/1...ness-industry/
Old 07-24-2011, 11:44 AM   #4
Josh R James

Profile:

I am currently going into my second year at university for Sports Therapy, and like Brad i am a strength and conditioning coach for the universities rugby team. The role was elected for me to do for my second year, but however i have been taking sessions in my first year since the original coach was busy with studying. I find this will gain me alot of experience by the time i have finished Uni..

I hope to go traveling when i finish my degree in search of job opportunities within Crossfit to be a sport therapist, because as i imagine the sport will be quite widely spread. However if this doesn't arise, i can always go down the rugby route..

Brad a quick question, would you recommend doing a Crossfit cert over a personal trainer cert, even though like you said that the Corssfit cert doesnt look as good on the job application form as it were?

Josh-
Old 07-24-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
Brad Gerbrandt

Profile:

Josh, it all depends on where you want to work. I CF L1 isn't really all that useful in attaining a strength and conditioning position at a University (although it is at some universities), and a CSCS isn't useful in working at a CrossFit facility.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:18 PM   #6
Michael E Tancini

Profile:

I am going into my senior year and 2 semesters away from graduating with a Exercise and Sport Science Degree. I plan on using it to get into Medical school and ultimately become a surgeon.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:11 AM   #7
Andy Johnson

Profile:

I highly recommend getting your masters in the field of fitness or health admin as their are endless opportunities for you to get jobs here in the us shown here at http://www.hhs.gov/. Getting your masters would be a perfect path to take in order to find the best job that fits what you're looking for as a trainer or in a different setting as well. If you're interested in receiving your masters please take a look at my site http://www.mhaprograms.org as it will give you multiple options on how you might want to complete your degree.

There is nothing better than becoming a healthier person and by completing your degree and becoming a trainer or doing research or whatever it may be, is something our society needs more of in order to help create a healthier lifestyle.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #8
Casey Harryman

Profile:

Have my degree in Kin: Sports and Fitness Management. It is designed more for the admin/management side of the fitness world (obv). If your looking to own/run your own facility then I would def. go for a masters, as that is what I intend on doing with in the next year. Also have ACSM: CPT and currently a personal trainer. Great field to be in if you are in the right area and if you build up a good clientel base, which does take time.

Like someone else said there are lots of opportunities out there in the fitness industry because it is one of the fastest growing industies out there. It all a matter of what part you want to be in.