CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-06-2011, 05:02 PM   #21
Todd Rehm

Profile:
Re: The Foundations of Personal Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
Actually he probably could. That's 3 weeks out from the London Olympics. Any coach worth his salt would already know what kind of workout will be on tap three weeks out from such a major competition.
Not sure I believe that. I think that someone coaching an Olympic athlete is likely to make day-to-day decisions based on how the athlete is recovering and feeling. They might not make drastic changes, but tweaks.

I'll ask the coach who taught my L1 USATF cert who coaches sprinters and hurdlers and see what he says. I'll report back when I get an answer.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:33 PM   #22
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Rehm View Post
Not sure I believe that. I think that someone coaching an Olympic athlete is likely to make day-to-day decisions based on how the athlete is recovering and feeling. They might not make drastic changes, but tweaks.

I'll ask the coach who taught my L1 USATF cert who coaches sprinters and hurdlers and see what he says. I'll report back when I get an answer.
I think a question worth thinking about is what does a "program" consist of?

In practice, I suspect you and Lincoln are both right. Yes, Usain Bolt's coach probably has a very good idea what sort of workouts he'll schedule tomorrow, next month, or one month before the Olympics. If you asked him for a detailed four-year program, he could give you one.

On the other hand, stuff happens. Bolt could have an off day, or a series of off days. He could develop a form issue, or an injury. And so the workout he actually does on any given day might not precisely conform to the program. That doesn't mean that the program didn't exist, or wasn't valuable, just that any coach worth his salt treats the program as a guide, not a commandment.

Katherine
Old 07-06-2011, 07:28 PM   #23
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

When asked for his 30-day plan leading up to the Olympic finals, an Olympic-level coach is probably not going to say, "I dunno, I always make it up as I go." No, chances are he's probably got a fairly specific template on paper already. He might have even given lectures on exactly how to plan the last few weeks leading into a big meet. And yes, plans have to be flexible.

I know in weightlifting most coaches know exactly how they want the workout to go 4 weeks out from a big meet. For example, from a spreadsheet I got from Mike Burgener, on a Saturday, 4 weeks out, a lifter with a 172kg snatch/226kg clean & jerk would be scheduled to do the following:

Snatch: 85x2 102.5x2 120x2 130x1 137.5x1x5
Clean & Jerk: 112.5x2 135x2 157.5x2 170x1 180x1x5
no squats that day

Mike always adjusts this plan, give or take a few kilos, depending on how the lifter was feeling that day. But the point is he knows exactly how he wants that workout on that day to go and he'll know it a long time in advance.