CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-25-2011, 08:13 PM   #1
Andrew Cochran

Profile:
29r Mountain Bikes

So I currently have a Trek 4300 that is on its way out. The local Bike Shop that I am in almost daily when I ride is suggesting that I go to a single speed 29r. They rent them for $20 (that will be applied towards a new bike when you buy one, ya, AWESOME) and I have tried a few and LOVE them. So far I have road a Surly Karate Monkey, Specialized Rockhopper and a Redline.

The Specailized is my size and is my favorite. It has a front suspension. The Monkey is a 17" frame and I need a 19" so it is to small and is noticable... So I am torn on that one, although I do love the way it rides being full rigid, it is not as comfortable though, probably because of the 17" frame. The Redline was OK, but is a cheaper bike, and you can tell. They also have a Gary Fisher 29r in my size but won't rent it cause they don't have any used ones, so I have no imput on that one.

I am wanting to stay somewhere in the $1000 range. The Specialized and the Monkey will be close. The Redline is $500 and the Fisher is $600 roughly. Anyone have any experience with these bikes? Or have other bikes that they would suggest? I ride ROUGH and will ride 3-5 times per week, weather permitting. The 4300 took 2 years to ruin. I ride them as hard as I can for as long as I can.

The trails I ride (Winona Lake, Indiana) I have been told are very technical, but I have not rode any other so I have nothing to compare them too. About once a month they have organized actual races, so I would think it to be somewhat credible. I just want something that is going to be a blast to ride, and will take a beating. The 29r's are simplistic, especialy if they are rigid.

Thanks for the opinions.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
Nathan Chmura

Profile:
Re: 29r Mountain Bikes

I am a little rusty in the bikes department, and never really looked into 29ers, but a few thoughts off the top of head are:

1) I believe the redline is a steel frame - which will last you longer and is just a nicer ride. Of course with steel comes great responsibility (it will rust on you if you not careful).

2) Specialized does both amazing things with their warranties and some not so amazing things. And suspension is good IMHO! Though I always felt Specialized wheelbases were too long for east coast riding. At least the 2 I owned were. Both had low bottom brackets as well... Haven't ridden or looked at one in a loooong while though!

3) I like Surly. They are a neat company.

4) Trek owns Gary Fisher now-a-days, so chances are pretty good they will have a good warranty as well.

With the GF and Specialized you will probably get the most bang for your buck because they are big and that somehow keeps costs down

The bottom line though, ride em all (even if it around the parking lot) and buy whichever one feels the best to you!

Not sure if any of that helped?
Old 05-26-2011, 02:24 PM   #3
Anson Castelvecchi

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Cochran View Post
So I currently have a Trek 4300 that is on its way out. The local Bike Shop that I am in almost daily when I ride is suggesting that I go to a single speed 29r. They rent them for $20 (that will be applied towards a new bike when you buy one, ya, AWESOME) and I have tried a few and LOVE them. So far I have road a Surly Karate Monkey, Specialized Rockhopper and a Redline.

The Specailized is my size and is my favorite. It has a front suspension. The Monkey is a 17" frame and I need a 19" so it is to small and is noticable... So I am torn on that one, although I do love the way it rides being full rigid, it is not as comfortable though, probably because of the 17" frame. The Redline was OK, but is a cheaper bike, and you can tell. They also have a Gary Fisher 29r in my size but won't rent it cause they don't have any used ones, so I have no imput on that one.

I am wanting to stay somewhere in the $1000 range. The Specialized and the Monkey will be close. The Redline is $500 and the Fisher is $600 roughly. Anyone have any experience with these bikes? Or have other bikes that they would suggest? I ride ROUGH and will ride 3-5 times per week, weather permitting. The 4300 took 2 years to ruin. I ride them as hard as I can for as long as I can.

The trails I ride (Winona Lake, Indiana) I have been told are very technical, but I have not rode any other so I have nothing to compare them too. About once a month they have organized actual races, so I would think it to be somewhat credible. I just want something that is going to be a blast to ride, and will take a beating. The 29r's are simplistic, especialy if they are rigid.

Thanks for the opinions.
I have the Redline Monocog ($500 new). Riding a 29er is a whole new mtn biking experience, I love it and will never go back. And the simplicity of the single speed is a thing of beauty.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:39 PM   #4
James Yates

Profile:

The 29ers have a lot of fans, but I don't think I'll ever get one.

Singlespeeding is fun and cheap, though.... The monocog would probably get my vote out of that group (although they are mostly aluminum now instead of steel). Very cool bike. My friend rides an old steel 26in monocog.

Then again, if the specialized is your favorite, there is nothing wrong there if you have the money for it.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:59 PM   #5
John McDonough

Profile:

The best advice I give in selecting a bike is get the one that fits best. You'll have a much better riding experience.

I've been riding a 29er single speed, rigid bike for the past few years. I love it and it is a great way to get in shape. A full body workout on a bike.

Good luck with your decision and happy riding!

John Mc
Old 05-26-2011, 04:02 PM   #6
John McDonough

Profile:

One more idea...the bike shop might swap out the suspension fork on the Specialized for a rigid one and give you a discount.

I was able to do that when I bought my Marin and the shop gave me a nice discount because they could sell the fork to someone who wanted it.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:20 PM   #7
Andrew Cochran

Profile:

Thanks for the replies.

They had mentioned swapping the forks for me on the Specialized. I don't know about price wise, how much that would cost though. I am def. going to get a 29er. I have ridden them 6-7 times this year and absolutely love them compared to the 4300. They are just so fun to wind up and then fly up a hill. Simply AWESOME. I still can't figure out how it is so easy to ride them and they always seem to be in the right gear, except going down hills of course...

I really wish they had a Monkey that I could ride because I think that I would like that one the best, maybe I will just have to take the plunge and run with it. I know that I won't be dissapointed just wanted some other people's input before I dropped some cash.

Thanks
Old 05-26-2011, 08:02 PM   #8
Shane Scott

Profile:

The Karate Monkey is an awesome bike. Very versatile and just absolutely the most fun to ride. I love it. If your local bike shop cannot get you the right size, order one online. JensonUSA.com (WFS) is my favorite online bike retailer and they have cheap shipping. Here is a link to the specific bike: http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Bike+2011.aspx (WFS). It has free shipping at the moment. Easy to put together being a SS or you can pay your bike shop to do it. Can't go wrong with Surly. The KM can fit some big ole tires as well if you're worried about a smoother ride. My two cents! Good luck...
Old 05-26-2011, 08:17 PM   #9
Andrew Cochran

Profile:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Scott View Post
The Karate Monkey is an awesome bike. Very versatile and just absolutely the most fun to ride. I love it. If your local bike shop cannot get you the right size, order one online. JensonUSA.com (WFS) is my favorite online bike retailer and they have cheap shipping. Here is a link to the specific bike: http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Bike+2011.aspx (WFS). It has free shipping at the moment. Easy to put together being a SS or you can pay your bike shop to do it. Can't go wrong with Surly. The KM can fit some big ole tires as well if you're worried about a smoother ride. My two cents! Good luck...
Thank you for this post.

I guess that I wrote it wrong when I was stating above. They have the right size for me sitting on the show room floor. The problem that is it is only for rent for ~$1000... lol.

I will be purchasing my bike from this store. I am all about supporting the local economy and they are seriously a Ma and Pa store and the Son is a major part of it as well. They have been in the same spot for 35 years I think... They have been more than helpful to me in past, and will continue to do the same in the future.

How long have you had your Monkey? Have you had any problems with it?
Old 05-26-2011, 09:47 PM   #10
Shane Scott

Profile:

A couple years and still love it. Sold a very expensive Cannondale full suspension bike that I could never get comfortable on and used the money to buy the Surly. I swear the Surly rides better over rough terrain the the FS bike did. You will not be sorry with a Karate Monkey!