CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-20-2011, 09:16 AM   #1
Jack Bravo

Profile:
Barbell help

I'm *very* new to the olympic lifts, and have been consdering a bar that would be reasonable.

I was initially going for the Rogue bar, but just to be complete, decided to look around to make sure I'm not missing a bar that's less pricey but would also do a reasonable job.

The bars I've found are (w/f/s):

Ivanko OB-28c Black Oxide Olympic Bar $220
Troy Barbell AOB-1500B Olympic Bar $230
Body Solid OB86PB Olympic Power Bar $230
York 32110 Needle Bearing Olympic Bar $210

Any experience/wisdom is greatly appreciated. What I like aobut the Rogue of course is the lifetime warranty.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:46 AM   #2
Scott Kraatz

Profile:
Re: Barbell help

If you're in Columbus you might as well go to Rogue.

They're a good company and stand by their products. I've never had a bad experience buying from them.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:54 AM   #3
Jack Bravo

Profile:

yea, that was my initial thinking - they also carry that york bar. i just wanted to get opinions on the other bars.

also, here's another, that's recommended by CFF

CAP 1200 lb Olympic Power Bar (OB-86B) $141

Last edited by Jack Bravo : 05-20-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:42 AM   #4
Keith Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bravo View Post
I'm *very* new to the olympic lifts, and have been consdering a bar that would be reasonable.

I was initially going for the Rogue bar, but just to be complete, decided to look around to make sure I'm not missing a bar that's less pricey but would also do a reasonable job.

The bars I've found are (w/f/s):

Ivanko OB-28c Black Oxide Olympic Bar $220
Troy Barbell AOB-1500B Olympic Bar $230
Body Solid OB86PB Olympic Power Bar $230
York 32110 Needle Bearing Olympic Bar $210

Any experience/wisdom is greatly appreciated. What I like aobut the Rogue of course is the lifetime warranty.
Ivanko - good bar, will probably do what you want
Troy - don't know anything about this bar, never lifted on it
CFF - if you want to do Oly lifts, DON"T buy a "olympic power" bar, not what you want
York - decent bar, but gets very mixed reviews around here
CAP - same as CFF bar

I would recommend you going to Rogue, save the shipping costs and see what they recommend, they will probably guide you in the right direction. For Oly, even though you are a rank beginner, you want a good bar. This might mean getting not so good bumpers, but you will notice a good bar much more than you will notice good bumpers. I would personally recommend the Pendlay bushing or bearing bar based on your budget.

And yes, I'm an Oly lifter.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:12 AM   #5
Jack Bravo

Profile:

Keith - thanks for your experience. Though I'd love a Pendlay bushing bar, it's 370 with shipping, which is close to $80 more than the rogue bar (after tax) - I'm trying to avoid that sort of budget creep (i've still gotta buy a power rack/build a platform/etc. etc.).

It seems then from the list that the Ivanko bar would be the cheapest option, without losing too much of the benefits of the bar?

so from what you're telling me, it seems:

pendlay bushing>rogue>ivanko>york needle
Old 05-20-2011, 11:40 AM   #6
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

RE: ratings
Ratings of 1500 lbs. or 1200 lbs. or similar are meaningless. No barbell with a 28mm grip that sells a couple hundred bucks is suitable for a 750 lb. lift never mind a 1,500 lb. lift. Yes, I know such ratings are industry standard but so are the terms "tone, shape, and sculpt". That said, I have not used the Troy bar. If you want to find the real specs on the bar then ask about standard metallurgical ratings like tensile strength and yield strength.

I do not like Ivanko bars. They use non-standard spacing on the knurling rings, which makes it difficult to find your correct grip spacing when using someone else's bar with standard spacing. That particular bar does not use the strongest steel either, at a tensile strength of 85k PSI. (200K is normal for the highest quality bars.)

I do not like CAP brand bars either. They are a low-end, mass-market, discount bar.

Last edited by Lincoln Brigham : 05-20-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:16 PM   #7
Nate Napolitano

Profile:

Seconded everything that Keith and Lincoln said. I do not like Cap for the same reasons Lincoln stated. I'm not a big fan of Troy barbells either, I use them daily at my affiliate and almost always opt for the Rogue bar. I've not used the York bar that Rogue sells but I have used some of their other bars in my college's gym - not impressed. A bar is an investment and you will be using it probably almost everyday if not daily, and while I can appreciate having a budget for the rack and other components, a quality bar is paramount. Dropping the extra money for the Pendlay bar wouldn't be a bad idea or if you are really stuck in that price range, the Rogue bar is a fantastic bar as well.
18/5'8/160#BS: 300 DL: 425 PC: 215 FS: 240 Fran: 4:14
My Log Level 1 Certified
Old 05-20-2011, 02:12 PM   #8
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Get a Rogue bar.

Unless you want to spend more and get a Pendlay bar.

The end.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:52 PM   #9
Jeremy Galo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Miller View Post
Ivanko - good bar, will probably do what you want
Troy - don't know anything about this bar, never lifted on it
CFF - if you want to do Oly lifts, DON"T buy a "olympic power" bar, not what you want
York - decent bar, but gets very mixed reviews around here
CAP - same as CFF bar

I would recommend you going to Rogue, save the shipping costs and see what they recommend, they will probably guide you in the right direction. For Oly, even though you are a rank beginner, you want a good bar. This might mean getting not so good bumpers, but you will notice a good bar much more than you will notice good bumpers. I would personally recommend the Pendlay bushing or bearing bar based on your budget.

And yes, I'm an Oly lifter.
Keith says most of what I have to say. I disagree with the Ivanko being a good bar for the reasons Lincoln already said. I have two of these Ivankos and I basically use them for beater bars for powerlifting type movements (squat/bench/press). They're not much good for anything else though, especially Olympic Lifting.

As for the 32110 York bar... I have this bar as well... and while it says 20kg, it actually weighs less than that. It'll come out to ~40lbs which has annoyed me for quite some time and I will not buy this bar again for that reason alone. York quality has gone down quite a bit through the years and that split endcap design is VERY annoying when loading plates on the bar as it catches. Hope that helps.

P.S. Go with the Rogue or spend the extra cheese and get the Pendlay HD like Tamara said. You won't be disappointed with either one.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:47 PM   #10
Jack Bravo

Profile:

Thank you all for your seasoned and well-thought out opinions.