CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-09-2007, 05:52 AM   #1
Chris Lampe

Profile:
When a person is doing their work sets of 5 reps, how much rest between reps is typical? Generally speaking, before the 3rd, 4th and 5th reps of the squat I have to stand there and take several deep breaths before I begin the next rep. The number of breaths increases for each rep until the fifth rep sometimes takes 5-6 breaths before I drop into it.

Should the squats be done fluidly, with no rest between reps? Does having to catch my breath between reps indicate that I'm going too heavy?

I'm 38 years old, 5'11", 325 lbs, I've been lifting for about 6 weeks and my squat work sets yesterday were 215 lbs. I have no idea where this workout weight puts me compared to others of similar size and age but I'm having to work fairly hard to come up out of the squat. If I decreased the weight to the point where I didn't need to catch my breath between reps I don't think I'd have to work hard enough to really stress my body.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:59 AM   #2
Allen Yeh

Profile:
Chris,

The longer you lift the more you will see the need for recovery between reps start to decrease. Unless you are standing there for minutes on end in between reps there is nothing to worry about.

Keep up the hard work!
Old 03-09-2007, 06:25 AM   #3
Gorm Laursen

Profile:
I normally take some puffing breaks between the last reps in the last sets. Nothing wrong with that: It tells you that you're lifting hard enough.

Mike Mahler tells about rest/pause training, which is deliberately lifting so heavy that you have to have a break between reps.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:29 AM   #4
Gorm Laursen

Profile:
Oh, and by the way: A good goal for squatting weight is percentages of your own bodyweight. Aim for 100% and review from there.

... and 215 is a pretty good weight if you've only been squatting for 6 weeks.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:47 AM   #5
Chris Lampe

Profile:
Thanks for the input!

I feel really good now about what I'm doing. I refer back to Starting Strength on a regular basis but each workout I find myself with more and more questions about the nuances of what I'm doing. Right now I'm waiting for some weightlifting shoes from Glenn and I'm quite excited about that. I think it'll help me alot.

My bench press on the other hand, I feel terrible about. But, I'll start a different thread for that.