CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-20-2011, 09:01 PM   #1
Aric J. Johnson

Profile:
Low Carb Paleo

Hey guys,

I have paleod it for a while. However, just recently (this past weekend) i decided to take it up a notch and scratch all fruit from my diet. The day after I started I went on a 22 mile run. Since then, I have seemed to "hit the wall" with every WOD, and seem to have little-to-no energy to get through it.

Besides working out, I feel fine. Except I just feel my body begging for a damn apple...

Anyways, I just wanted to ask one of yall if this was a normal phase as my body transitions to doing without the fructose.

Thanks,

Aj
Old 04-20-2011, 09:25 PM   #2
Doug Blankenship

Profile:
Re: Low Carb Paleo

You stopped eating fruit just so you can be low carb? Are you trying to lean out?

Sounds like your body is letting you know that it needs more. Eat some fruit.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:21 PM   #3
Jason Halm

Profile:

Or sweet potatoes.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:22 PM   #4
Scott Tredennick

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blankenship View Post
You stopped eating fruit just so you can be low carb? Are you trying to lean out?

Sounds like your body is letting you know that it needs more. Eat some fruit.
veggies and fruit is pretty low carb enough already... removing the fruit may work for short wods but for 22 mile runs??! you definitely need some more carbs. add some fruit, maybe some sweet potatoes, maybe some real potatoes
Old 04-20-2011, 11:30 PM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric J. Johnson View Post
Hey guys,

I have paleod it for a while. However, just recently (this past weekend) i decided to take it up a notch and scratch all fruit from my diet. The day after I started I went on a 22 mile run. Since then, I have seemed to "hit the wall" with every WOD, and seem to have little-to-no energy to get through it.
Well, duh. You're surprised by this?

Athletes need carbs. Endurance athletes need more carbs. If you're not getting the carbs from fruit, you need to get them somewhere else. But personally, I'll take a couple of bananas over a sweet potato any day of the week.

Katherine
Old 04-21-2011, 12:04 AM   #6
Steve Wingate

Profile:

Actually, if he's running 22 miles he's got to be moving at a pace where the rate of fat breakdown/conversion to usable energy should be sufficient. When he goes over his AT, which he can't for the entire distance, he will need glycogen stores to dip into....so add back some carbs, but I'd go for sweet potato over fructose.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:42 AM   #7
Jordan K Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wingate View Post
Actually, if he's running 22 miles he's got to be moving at a pace where the rate of fat breakdown/conversion to usable energy should be sufficient. When he goes over his AT, which he can't for the entire distance, he will need glycogen stores to dip into....so add back some carbs, but I'd go for sweet potato over fructose.
true, but he did it after removing carbs the day before. from what i understand, it takes a little time to adapt to burning fat efficiently. certainly longer than a day. i'd imagine it was a bit of a shock to his system.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:38 AM   #8
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric J. Johnson View Post
Hey guys,

Besides working out, I feel fine. Except I just feel my body begging for a damn apple...

Anyways, I just wanted to ask one of yall if this was a normal phase as my body transitions to doing without the fructose.

Thanks,

Aj
Yes, it's normal to feel like crap and have no energy on a very low carb diet.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:09 AM   #9
Victor Amuso

Profile:

You should only go low-carb if you are trying to lean out, and by low I mean 50-75 grams per day. Even when trying to lean out, I wouldn't cut fruits entirely. I generally stick to berries, and more specifically strawberries and blueberries. Even with my 50-60g daily intake, I have hit 5-9 WODs per week for the past 13 weeks and have enough energy to get through every workout.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:10 AM   #10
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

If you are overweight with excessive fat stores, you will probably feel crappy (well if you are overweight and running that much you probably will anyway) going low carb but your body will at least have fat reserves to call on... if you are running 22 miles I find this somewhat unlikely. If you are the typical low bf% endurance athlete this is a definite no go, you don't have fat stores and your body will just break down muscle, eat some carbs your body needs them.
Carb avoidance is "good" for those going paleo after a diet where carbs were the cornerstone and majority component, but for someone already with a clean diet, sure you can technically function without, but it will certainly NOT be conducive to optimal performance for an athlete. You only need small amounts, just don't turn it into the pillar of your nutrition and you will be fine.