CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-13-2007, 04:31 PM   #1
Scott Adams

Profile:
Hi all,
I just came back from a well respected chiropractor's office. I am having L4/L5 (low back) pain that has been pretty consistent for the past 6 weeks. It flared up again last night to the point I couldn't put my shoes on this morning.
Long story short, he didn't say back extentions hurt me necessarily, but that at my age (38) they won't do any good for prevention of future injury. He said I should focus on hamstring, upper back and abdominal work. He indicated (and I may have misunderstood him) that my lower back would remain strong enough without doing additional low back exercises. I asked about other exercises like supermans and good mornings, and he said to avoid those as well, even after I feel better. I liked this guy and he was very supportive of the rest of my physical routines (Crossfit, volleyball, and beginning MMA) and eating habits (Zone with some cheating still--bad, I know), but I was very surprized to hear this about the low back. I will likely take the good stuff he said but continue to do the back work once it feels better.
Anyone hear of this advice or have any feedback? Thanks and I look forward to your collective wisdom.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:05 PM   #2
Jason Steele

Profile:
Scott- I had similar issues when I first started Crossfit, but my chiropractor just told me to ice the area consistently and come in for periodic adjustments. I'm sure you will get better advise from some of the medical professionals here, but I find it hard to believe that you need to stop doing lower back work. Out of curiosity, what chiropractic school did he go to?

I have a premonition that this thread is going to move to Injuries....
Old 02-13-2007, 06:19 PM   #3
Don King

Profile:
Scott,

The first thing that came to mind after reading your post was the video included with the 1/17 WOD. I never knew the proper form on these exercises until I watched the video.

Glute-Ham Developer: Back Extension, Hip Extension, Back & Hip Extension
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFit_GHD.wmv
Old 02-13-2007, 06:42 PM   #4
Scott Adams

Profile:
Jason, I remember reading his credential and remember that it was in Los Angeles, but have blanked on the name of it. He too gave me the advice of icing it nightly for 15 minutes and I'm returning every week for a couple of weeks. BTW, the adjustments he did were amazing. I instantly felt more mobility in my neck and back. This is a new chiro to me, but I've certainly gone to others plenty. He was also educational, explaining everything he was doing and why he was doing it--showing me what's going on in my x-rays, etc. I am, I guess, still new to Crossfit. I started end of Oct. '06. Did you have the same issues 3-4 months into it? Other than my back, all my other joints feel great!

Don, thanks for the reminder. I just watched the video again and I remembered when I first saw that video, I realized I was actually doing hip extensions. Maybe doing back extensions with proper form would help a little more. I would love to get a GHD!

Thanks to both of you.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:04 PM   #5
Bob Pratt

Profile:
Don,
thanks for the video link, especially after i did todays WOD WRONG!!!! i too was doing hip extensions.
SOOO...
can anyone tell me if i should be doing both (or all three) exercises? i assume that back extensions mean just that, but i've never seen hip extension called for in a WOD. Is there benefit in doing them both togather?

i'm really confused...
rat
Old 02-13-2007, 08:16 PM   #6
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
Thanks for the video link!
Old 02-14-2007, 07:03 AM   #7
Jason Steele

Profile:
Scott-

You may want to scale those WODs back a bit (check the BrandX site for scaled WODs) until you acclimate your body. Those adjustments are awesome, my first visit was for some compression in my neck from wearing body armor and the such, it was instantaneous relief. Keep icing, work on mobility, and make sure you are doing the exercises correctly (videos). Don't sacrifice form!
Old 02-14-2007, 07:05 PM   #8
Scott Adams

Profile:
Thanks Jason,

Good advice. I do often look at the BrandX site, but my 20-something mind always tells me I can do the WODs with little or no modifications, but my 38 yr old body is starting to say something else. A lesson I never seem to learn.
I agree too with the form. The past 6 weeks have certainly taught me that I need to value form and my own limits if I want to do this stuff over the long term.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:37 PM   #9
John Seiler

Profile:
Bob,

Your question came up at the Cert this last weekend. Sounds like doing both would be a good idea. As far as the combo, the main benefit seems to be body awareness.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:20 PM   #10
Adam Killam

Profile:
To Scott and any others who have experienced back pain on an ongoing basis. In addition to your regular WOD's (done with strict form of course) I highly recommend a book called "Back RX". I've followed the three-stage program of Yoga and Pilates exercises over the course of 2-3 months to reduce 99% of my back pain.

I also engage in Crossfit workouts with a trainer who knows about my previous injury - she's helping me to do squats properly with low weight, stretch out my legs and back and loosen up my shoulders.

The two workouts combined have me nearly healed.