CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 01-26-2011, 08:33 PM   #101
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:
Re: Biggest Pet Peeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Carlson View Post
Story of my life over here in Japan. The 'skinny woman' look is 'in' now for the guys, and most of the popular boy bands feature guys who are painfully thin and happen to have abs due to lack of body fat more than the result of actual disciplined training, and everyone looks at that and thinks 'wow'. It drives me nuts.
Hasn't it been that way in Japan for like the last 10 years?

Another pet peeve. People who define themselves by how well they do Crossfit. I've met some people in real life that will get very down on themselves and go as far as to berate themselves if they don't do as well as they think they should on a WoD. Even though they're doing great they compare themselves to someone like Graham or Mikko and then think they suck if they aren't coming close. I guess that happens in all areas of life though.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:34 PM   #102
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Carlson View Post
Story of my life over here in Japan. The 'skinny woman' look is 'in' now for the guys, and most of the popular boy bands feature guys who are painfully thin and happen to have abs due to lack of body fat more than the result of actual disciplined training, and everyone looks at that and thinks 'wow'. It drives me nuts.
It's the same thing as the "Twilight" effect that makes preteens and idiot 20-somethings think that a 6' man should weigh 150lbs or less and have no muscle mass like the half-men on that movie. Luckily about all you have to do get those idiots to ignore you is get in the neighborhood of 200lbs.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:08 AM   #103
Michael Buzny

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget Fernandez View Post
the 'situation' or whatever that dudes name is that gets paid a ridiculous amount for being a tool..just put out a fitness video.
Another one of those meatheads is now hawking xenadrine (I wanted to punch me tv when I saw him). My pet peeve, jersey shore and all the ilk it represents. I hated those people (we call them gino's here in Toronto, basically if your European or Persian, you can be a gino/gina) in highschool, I hated them when I used to workout at a Globo, and I hated them at clubs/bars (cept one club where it was Hard Rock/Metal in the mainroom Top 40/Dance/Euro in the secondary room, made for really interesting mosh pits. ), and I hate them even more because of this damn show.

Also my younger cousin is infatuated with this show, and is always asking me how to get ripped/get abs. I try and give him a workout, and his response is always "I don't want to do all that work, I just want abs"
Old 02-01-2011, 12:12 AM   #104
Michael Buzny

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Mannella View Post
The globogym's personal trainer **** me off.
I have heard them telling their clients how "bad" my front-squats and deadlifts are for people and how nobody should do them. Honestly where do these people get their "certification" from.
Also a **** off...how the globo says I need an appointment with a "certified kettlebell instructor" to use a kettlebell....really...I mean...it's a damn kettlebell not a nuclear reactor...I am pretty sure after almost 2 years of CF I can grasp the proper use of a KB.
They probably get their cert from can-fit-pro, an utterly useless cert, but the "gold standard" for one chain that promotes a good life.

Does it cost money for the appointment with their "certified" (by who I wonder, a good question to ask them) Kbell Instructor. If it doesn't I would just bite the bullet.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:55 PM   #105
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Rudeness. We took my daughter to Universal Studios over the weekend. Watching adults run to get in lines in front of a 9 yr old girl, cutting in lines, etc... I called a couple of them out on it and got the "who, me?" excuse. A younger version of me would have used a more hands-on approach.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:34 PM   #106
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Wallis View Post
Rudeness. We took my daughter to Universal Studios over the weekend. Watching adults run to get in lines in front of a 9 yr old girl, cutting in lines, etc... I called a couple of them out on it and got the "who, me?" excuse. A younger version of me would have used a more hands-on approach.
Like was it a deal where she was about to enter the line and they jumped in front of her or was it like you were heading for the line and they were heading there fast and they made it first?
Old 02-02-2011, 03:38 PM   #107
Milton Brisson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Buzny View Post
...Also my younger cousin is infatuated with this show, and is always asking me how to get ripped/get abs. I try and give him a workout, and his response is always "I don't want to do all that work, I just want abs"
Send him to a spray-on tanning place! They can air-brush that stuff in now!
Old 02-02-2011, 04:42 PM   #108
Adam Carlson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Wallis View Post
I live in japan, the land known for politeness... at least, it used to be. Maybe ten years ago, things would have been different, but having kids has shown me a whole new side to things here.

On trains and buses, there are areas designated 'priority seating', and above those seats are very clearly marked pictographs of who should have priority to sit there (elderly, injured, pregnant, and those with small children). Who sits there in reality? High schoolers, young businessmen, and people who could totally afford to give up seats. When my wife was pregnant, she would head to that section hoping to get a seat on a 30+ minute train ride, and everyone would act like they were sleeping, focused on their cell phone screen, or deeply engaged in their book, and they wouldn't bother looking up.

Also, elevators in train stations have similar markings for who should get the priority in using them. People will sprint to the elevator just to get in line to take an elevator and cut off people with strollers and the elderly. Not cool. I've glared at people while I carry my kids up the stairs, stroller and all. In the back of my mind I keep thinking that I would love to put those people through Fran... or Linda... or Kalsu...
Old 02-02-2011, 05:56 PM   #109
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
Like was it a deal where she was about to enter the line and they jumped in front of her...
Yes. And it happened more than once.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:58 PM   #110
Jason Wallis

Profile:

People who get on an elevator before everyone has got out.