CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-30-2006, 01:25 PM   #1
Elliot Royce

Profile:
At the back of his book (which is incredible as was his career), he describes an exercise that seems like a SLDL done improperly. I don't have the book in front of me but it says something like:

stand up straight and grab a light barbell
lower the bar as close to the floor as you can while curving your spine down, from top to bottom
then recover by curling your spine back up

This, with heavy weights, would presumably result in an immediate muscle spasm as the brain sought to protect the spine.

But I'm guessing that with light weights it's a great stretch and strengthening exercise.

Never heard it recommended before so want to make sure it's ok (and I understood it right) before trying it.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:39 PM   #2
Christopher Sommer

Profile:

This movement is called a Jefferson Curl. Prior to the mid to late 70s, this was a relatively common weight lifting and power lifting pre-hab exercise. Along with Mr. Kono, Fred Hatfield (aka Dr. Squat) also thought highly of Jefferson Curls.

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer

OlympicBodies@aol.com
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=512003
http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/229/
Old 08-30-2006, 01:53 PM   #3
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Thanks Coach. I often get lower back stiffness...the 150 back extensions we did yesterday certainly stiffened me up.

Would you recommend this for the end of the workout and how does one decide on the weight?

(Message edited by eroyce on August 30, 2006)
Old 08-30-2006, 03:42 PM   #4
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Similar to the snake version of back extensions (Glute ham type). Pull lower back up first then roll to complete extension. Wonderful exercise if done, as you said, with conciousness toward light weight.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:38 PM   #5
Tom Corrigan

Profile:
Dave Werner used this move to help rehab and strengthen his back. It is done with light weights [30%1RM at a maximum, less to start] and high tension thru the midsection. Dave herniated his L4 & L5.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:12 PM   #6
Chris Sinagoga

Profile:
isn't this the same thing as touching your toes?
Old 08-30-2006, 08:24 PM   #7
Mike Burgener

Profile:
liability has taken this great exercise out of the wt. room....at least at the h.s. level. we use to do this exercise all the time.....just like hyper extensions, now called back extensions. go to europe and you will see lifters doing hyper extensions with weight...all the time. norik vardanian does them at the otc. his dad yurik was the greatest weightlifter of all time....in my opinion!!
Old 08-31-2006, 03:50 AM   #8
Allen Yeh

Profile:
Coach B,

Isn't there a difference between a hyperextension and a back extension? Not to get into the RDL vs SLDL debate but until recently I thought they were the same thing.

The main difference between the 2 that I can see is that in hyperextensions at the top of the movement your bring your torso up as high as possible while in back extensions you stop once your torso lines up with body. So in back extensions you keep a neutral spine and in hyperextensions you don't (this touches upon Dr. McGills work).

Couldn't find any videos other than some flash ones embedded in an article,. scroll down to point #26.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1197383

What do you think?
Old 08-31-2006, 06:35 AM   #9
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
I always do back extensions pulling the torso as high as possible. This seems like the full-ROM movement to me.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:46 AM   #10
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Allen I think they WERE the same...then because of what Coach B mentioned (liability), the back extension or "correct" form (@ 24 hour fitness) became where you stop and hyperextension "incorrect" form (@ 24 hour fitness) became the Full ROM movement.

Aush