CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-17-2010, 09:10 AM   #41
Joe Bernard

Profile:
Re: In the face of contradictory evidence: Report of the Dietary Guidelines for Ameri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
Ever since I started including some tubers here and there I feel it's so much easier to just go on everyday without ever craving anything.
I have noticed the same thing too. I only have sweet potatoes PWO (which turns out to be 3x/week) and I am good to go.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:51 AM   #42
Jason Martin

Profile:
Re: In the face of contradictory evidence: Report of the Dietary Guidelines for Ameri

Yeah.. sorry.. not trying to belittle your question or anything.

Australopiths were cruising around about 3.5 million years ago, and were ancestral to homo sapians and chimps.

My point was that "we" were probably eating tubers and roots long, long before "we" were even human.

That's kind of the rub with some of the "paleo" arguments IMO. That a good part of the machinery we use to digest food was developed long before (and likely after) the paleolithic period.

The bacon and almond crack was just snark. Not pointed at you ;-) Seems a lot of foods pass as "paleo" that are anything but.

I eat sweet potatoes, yams. I even eat peanuts (don't tell anyone)

Last edited by Jason Martin : 11-17-2010 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:05 PM   #43
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Todd, Joe and Jason: thank you.

Maybe I was a little sensitive this morning, but I think Todd hit the nail in the head: people who first answered were trying to "read into" what I was asking, when there was nothing to read into; it was a straight, honest question just to try and see if the same argument that "we are not adapted to eating grains" could apply to tubers. But apparently we were eating them very long ago. Thanks for that post Todd. Sorry for being a bit irritable this morning.

Jason: I have been eating organic peanut butterl! (in response to you eating peanuts). Like I said, I'm not following a particular diet or book, I have not even read the original books by Cordain. I was just curious as I'm not sure what the argument against tubers is, for not recommending them in the original book, and only in the book "For Athletes".
Old 11-17-2010, 03:05 PM   #44
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Quote:
Todd, Joe and Jason: thank you.

Maybe I was a little sensitive this morning, but I think Todd hit the nail in the head: people who first answered were trying to "read into" what I was asking, when there was nothing to read into; it was a straight, honest question just to try and see if the same argument that "we are not adapted to eating grains" could apply to tubers. But apparently we were eating them very long ago. Thanks for that post Todd. Sorry for being a bit irritable this morning.

Jason: I have been eating organic peanut butterl! (in response to you eating peanuts). Like I said, I'm not following a particular diet or book, I have not even read the original books by Cordain. I was just curious as I'm not sure what the argument against tubers is, for not recommending them in the original book, and only in the book "For Athletes".
Dude, I was seriously just trying to figure out what you were asking. I guess we're cool, unless you're still specifically upset with my answer. I don't think what I said was particularly offensive though. I just needed clarification on your question...
Old 11-17-2010, 05:21 PM   #45
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
I was just curious as I'm not sure what the argument against tubers is, for not recommending them in the original book, and only in the book "For Athletes".
My understanding is that there are basically two arguments against tubers.

First, *some* tubers, notably potatoes, contain compounds that evolved to make them unappealing to animals, and are therefore not edible raw. Not all tubers have these compounds, and our paleo ancestors (and modern hunter/gatherers) could and did eat whatever such tubers existed in their environment.

Second, tubers have lots of carbs. That has nothing to do with whether they are paleo or not, but makes them unattractive to people who are severely restricting their carb intake. Many of those people also eat paleo. OTOH, for those paleo eaters who need more carbs -- like readers of Paleo for Athletes -- tubers are a paleo-friendly alternative to grains.

Katherine
Old 11-18-2010, 02:18 PM   #46
Rene Forestier

Profile:

Quote:
I have an honest question. Does anyone know when the paleo man, supossedly, started consuming tubers such as taro root, cassaba, sweet potatoe, yams... ??

I find that trying to follow the Paleo Diet as explained by Cordain's first book is a little hard. Ever since I started including some tubers here and there I feel it's so much easier to just go on everyday without ever craving anything.
Here's a new entry by MDA (wfs) about sweet potatoes, etc. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/diffe...es/#more-17707