CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-02-2010, 09:51 AM   #31
Meghan Reid

Profile:
Re: In the face of contradictory evidence: Report of the Dietary Guidelines for Ameri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
Your new last name is throwing me off. I don't like change. *hides in corner*
Haha, sorry. Good thing I held off on the picture change.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:23 PM   #32
Aidan Macdonald

Profile:
Re: In the face of contradictory evidence: Report of the Dietary Guidelines for Ameri

Bump, I like meat and so should you
Old 11-15-2010, 05:32 PM   #33
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan Macdonald View Post
Bump, I like meat and so should you
I do too...
Old 11-16-2010, 12:47 PM   #34
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

I have an honest question. Does anyone know when the paleo man, supossedly, started consuming tubers such as taro root, cassaba, sweet potatoe, yams... ??

I find that trying to follow the Paleo Diet as explained by Cordain's first book is a little hard. Ever since I started including some tubers here and there I feel it's so much easier to just go on everyday without ever craving anything.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:29 PM   #35
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
I have an honest question. Does anyone know when the paleo man, supossedly, started consuming tubers such as taro root, cassaba, sweet potatoe, yams... ??

I find that trying to follow the Paleo Diet as explained by Cordain's first book is a little hard. Ever since I started including some tubers here and there I feel it's so much easier to just go on everyday without ever craving anything.
Are you trying to justify it, or are you just curious? I mean, if it makes you feel good, helps you resist processed carbs, and perform better, I think it's a no brainer, regardless of what Grok may or may not have eaten.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:55 PM   #36
Jason Martin

Profile:

Quote:
As I recall, there was a reasonable suspicion that australopithecus incorporated tubers into part of their diet.

That was a long time before paleo man started eating bacon and almond flour pancakes for breakfast.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:37 PM   #37
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Martin View Post
As I recall, there was a reasonable suspicion that australopithecus incorporated tubers into part of their diet.

That was a long time before paleo man started eating bacon and almond flour pancakes for breakfast.

Indeed. Given that many varieties of wild almonds are poison, and almonds were among the last nuts to be domesticated, sweet potatoes are arguably *more* paleo than almonds.

Katherine
Old 11-17-2010, 04:43 AM   #38
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:

Nobody really knows when hominids started eating roots and tubers but we do know that they've been integral part of our diet for at least the past two or three million years.

http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/200...runc_sys.shtml

http://www.performancemenu.com/forum...00&postcount=1

*All links wfs*
Old 11-17-2010, 07:26 AM   #39
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Megan: I am not trying to justify anything. I was not asking one of those "do you guys think I should eat them or not?" questions. But thanks for telling me it's a no-brainer.

I was genuinely curious as to when, exactly, they started being eaten. Maybe this is in the book but since I don't own it, I just wanted someone to just give me a number.

If I ask the same question about Grains... I know some will say only 10,000 years ago, while Daryl will chime in and say 100,000 years. And I've read an article by Cordain saying that the 100,000 years evidence was not, in his opinion, very strong and that for him, the earliest he thinks grains started to be a big part of our diet is like 23,000 years ago? I'm quoting from memory so I could be a bit off, but probably not too much.

So, anyways, my question was just that: when do they started being eaten a lot? And according to whom, if possible? Daryl gave me a number, and links, so thanks, Daryl.

Jeez... I might just be in a bad mood today, or I might be wrong, but the first three responses were just odd. If I'm trying to justify it... it's a no brainer... bacon? What does it have to do with my question? And almonds, what do they have to do?

Daryl was the only guy who just kindly answered my question without telling me about something that I did NOT ask about. It's true what some people have been saying, the attitude in these boards is getting... weird, to say the least.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:48 AM   #40
Todd R Bailey

Profile:

Arturo, I think you're being a little sensitive. The reason people asked what they did, is that the answer depends on why you are asking the question.

If you're genuinely just curious from an intellectual standpoint, then a simple date answers your question.

However, I would venture to say that the majority of people that ask "when did Paleolithic man started eating x food" are trying to determine whether they should incorporate that food into their version of the Paleo diet. In that case, simply giving a date really does not answer the underlying question about the diet. I think the general consensus on this board is that while the Paleo diet may be the bees knees, each person should tweak/modify that diet to best match his/her lifestyle and goals and focus less on "historical reenactments" of what Grok ate 20,000, 200,000 or 2,000,000 years ago.

So, I think the responses you got were attempts by people to "read into" what you were asking in order to give you a more helpful answer. Not an attack on you.

This is the world wide interwebs. Things like tone and intent do not come across very well. Don't take things so personally.