CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-15-2010, 04:56 AM   #1
Darryl Shaw

Profile:
Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010.

Americans take note; the 2010 update of the Dietary Guidelines for Americans is released today so as your tax dollars paid for it you might as well read it.

http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/DGAs2010-DGACReport.htm (wfs)
Old 07-15-2010, 06:02 AM   #2
Hew Fung

Profile:
Re: Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010.

Thanks for the link, Darryl.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:13 AM   #3
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Quote:
The 2010 DGAC Report is distinctly different from previous reports in several ways.
Notably absent is the admission that previous reports were scientifically incorrect in theory, totally inefficacious if not actually unhealthy in practice, and that they're sorry about that.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:58 AM   #4
Brent Sallee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
Notably absent is the admission that previous reports were scientifically incorrect in theory, totally inefficacious if not actually unhealthy in practice, and that they're sorry about that.
At least they're making the changes. I may not agree with certain aspects of mainstream nutrition, but you can't prove anything in science. You can prove something only as long as it takes for a body of research to disprove that mechanism and suggests another idea. You've gotta be a bit more limber when it comes to the scientific method.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:24 PM   #5
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

For decades the USDA has consistently taken the position that their science is right and you're fat because you're not doing what we tell you. That's a big problem.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:36 PM   #6
Josh Paschedag

Profile:

I am unsure whether these recommendations are serious or are a sad attempt at comedy...there are so many contradictions, circular logic, and presentation of selected evidence here that it's making my head spin.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:50 PM   #7
Brent Sallee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
For decades the USDA has consistently taken the position that their science is right and you're fat because you're not doing what we tell you. That's a big problem.
And everyone here takes the same stubborn position when it comes to fitness and nutrition. How are we any better than the USDA if we don't listen to what others have to say and compare that to our knowledge? Be educated on all fronts and be open to new points. That doesn't mean they're right or we're right. It means that we're openly striving to understand how our bodies respond to different nutritional backgrounds.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:09 PM   #8
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/Publication...rgyBalance.pdf (WFS)

So the #1 intake of energy in the US is "Grain Based Desserts" and the #2 is Yeast Breads. #4 is Soda. #5 is Pizza, #6 Alcohol, #7 Pasta.

Yeah, that's moderation for you.

Average Calories Intake for my age group is only 2354. How is everybody getting fat if they're only eating 2354 calories....could it have anything to do with where they are getting their calories from?

I've been logging my food and take in 3800 calories a day and have been losing weight. That sure shouldn't be happening since I'm considered basically sedentary...I work an office job tied to a desk and only work out for 10-15 minutes every other day.

"Although the IOM set an (Acceptable macronutrient Distribution Range (AMDR) for carbohydrate of 45 to 65 percent of total calories, it is very difficult to meet dietary fiber recommendations at the low end of this range, and high intake of total sugars (intrinsic and added) may be linked to elevated blood triglycerides." - http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/Publication...bohydrates.pdf (WFS)

Last edited by Matt Haxmeier : 07-15-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:24 PM   #9
Liz Stanley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Haxmeier View Post
"Although the IOM set an (Acceptable macronutrient Distribution Range (AMDR) for carbohydrate of 45 to 65 percent of total calories, it is very difficult to meet dietary fiber recommendations at the low end of this range, and high intake of total sugars (intrinsic and added) may be linked to elevated blood triglycerides." - http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/Publication...bohydrates.pdf (WFS)
Good grief, my carb intake is about 20% and I manage to get 30g of fiber without any difficulty. A fact I love to point out to people who tell me I have to eat grains to get enough fiber.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:35 PM   #10
Dave Hardy

Profile:

Quote:
How is everybody getting fat if they're only eating 2354 calories...could it have anything to do with where they are getting their calories from
Maybe because their favourite meal is dessert not dinner.