CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-07-2010, 06:43 AM   #21
Ben Liuzzi

Profile:
Re: Those Who are Doing Crossfit from Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carina McDonald View Post
Ben I'm sure the second another CF-er sees you they will be over there to say hi!
I hope so...i need someone to divide the stares in 2!
Old 05-07-2010, 02:34 PM   #22
Joe C Thomas

Profile:

I think the hardest thing is the lack of a training partner. When someone else is there, I push myself so much harder. Not too mention the fact that I don't count so well and I either end up missing a rep or two, or doing extra because I lost count!
Old 05-17-2010, 05:42 AM   #23
Gráinne Logue

Profile:

I've been doing crossfit in my own gym for about a year now, but I've found that lately I've been picking and choosing my WODs rather than pushing myself more to learn the movements I'm bad at, so I've organised an Intro session with the Crossfit Ireland gym this week
Old 05-17-2010, 05:43 AM   #24
Gráinne Logue

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C Thomas View Post
Not too mention the fact that I don't count so well and I either end up missing a rep or two, or doing extra because I lost count!
God I hate when that happens! I went in to do 5 rounds of the deadlift/burpee WOD a while back and somehow ended up doing 6! I was wondering why my time was so off!
Old 05-17-2010, 07:44 AM   #25
Mike Onghena

Profile:

I have no affiliates nearby. I wish I did. No choice but to go it alone. However, I don't think I'd be willing to travel more than a few minutes to get to an affiliate, even if there was one. I don't have the time. An average WOD is 20-30 min, so spending more than that on travel is a waste...

I have enough equipment at home to do almost everything. I also have a pullup bar and place to do dips in my office at work.

I do take careful notes during during breaks in the WOD (reps, sets, times), to try and insure that I do not lose count. I usually cannot rip thru a WOD without break. The breaks is when I lose count, so it all works out. I think I'm pretty accurate..
Old 05-17-2010, 12:38 PM   #26
Tobias Gohrbandt

Profile:

I don't think there are any CF gyms where I live, as in, at all. If there was one nearby, I'd go there, I guess... That said, I mostly prefer working out at home. That way, I can start whenever I want, which is a big plus for me.

If I had to leave the house, drive to a gym, do my wod, shower there, and get home again, I'd expect a pretty substantial reward for that extra time and effort. For a so-so training, I wouldn't bother.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:31 AM   #27
Kenneth Bolyard

Profile:

I have been working out in my Workshop/Gym at home for 6 years and love to put a hurting on myself with the WOD.
I follow the CF main site WOD about a week behind and keep track of my workouts on "Beyond the whiteboard".

Working out alone does take allot of self discipline, but with time and dedication
the rewards are great. You can learn allot about yourself and your body by working out alone.

Through that, my workouts have become a center point of my life, a daily ceremony if you will. No matter where I am, alone, in a gym or with a group of people its something I never want to miss.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:19 AM   #28
Tony Arms

Profile:

Like a lot of others have mentioned it's great to be on your own schedule but it's hard to keep your own count. Enter, my wife.... I've talked her into doing cf with me a couple months after she had my son and she's loving it. We get to work out together and now i have my own count keeper.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:14 AM   #29
John Jaeckel

Profile:

Closest boxes to me are all 40 minutes away. Then there's the part-time job, a business I run and a blog I write, 3 kids, etc.

I was lucky when I made the decision to work out from home that I already had a lot of gear (Oly bar and plates, bench, cage w/ pullup bar, some k-bells). Have since rounded everything out with a lot of visits to my friends at Rogue.

Now have two Oly Bars, 300 lbs. of bumpers in addition to 250 lbs. iron plates, more k-bells, rings, parallettes (I built myself), plyo box, d-ball, bands, another squat stand, lots of thick, hard floor mats.

Finishing touch will be a Concept 2 at some point later this year, and I'll trade my Roman Chair off for a GHD.

I do sometimes miss the technique coaching and Rogue (gym) will let me drop in when I want to.

But I am also going much more CFSB focused, so I don't really need someone to push me on 20-40 minute MetCons anyway.

I guess that's my take on it. You can do a lot of MetCon stuff on your own with minimal equipment and space investment. But then you'll miss the competition/coach pushing you aspect. or you can invest in a lot of Oly gear, etc., and go for more of a strength bias where you can be much more self-coached.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:40 PM   #30
Laurentius Joseph

Profile:

Ive been doing it at the globo gym for a year now. All by myself. Just got my Level 1, and I am excited to seek further knowledge abt crossfit.