CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-05-2010, 09:56 AM   #11
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Those Who are Doing Crossfit from Home

I'm the opposite, I dislike "Rah-rah" trainers telling me I need to go harder or faster or whatever. I know what the wod is, I know what I can do. Just check to make sure my form is okay and correct that, otherwise, leave me be.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:34 AM   #12
Peter Queen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venceslava Atilova View Post
LOL Lemme tell ya - there is no CF affiliate in the entire country And most probably there are 50 ppl in Bulgaria who know what CF is about. BUT I love it so there isn't anything thats gonna stop me from doing it.
Talk about going it alone. I admire your spirit. I have a box within 30 minutes of my home but my workout times vary sometimes. Being able to do what I want and when I want at home is sometimes more important to me. Iíve collected enough toys over the years to give myself a very nice home gym and I can also work out at the gym in my fire department before work (with some of my toys). Speaking of toys, I recently purchased an 80lb heavy bag to play with. My wife and daughters asked why I needed another one (I have a 100 lb bag already). I said that this one is not for hanging up like my first one. This one is for tossing and dragging around, doing overhead walking lunges, hoisting above and over my head and anything else I can think of. As usual, they rolled their eyes. Besides, I have enough self motivation for at least a dozen people.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:24 AM   #13
Carina McDonald

Profile:

Yeah it's pretty pricey for me but I love the group atmosphere and getting to know people - pushes me to work harder too. I think there's a saying that goes like that. Spend time around the people whose outlook on life, you want.

The focus on form is great too. For someone who's never been an athlete & is recovering from a back injury, I'm learning a TON. Slow but steady progress!

Sounds like CF still has to catch on in many countries hey? I'm up here in Canada and had never heard of CF till 4 weeks ago when I "drank the kool aid" - of course offered to me by a family member who does it I believe there are 2 or 3 locations in Calgary?
Old 05-05-2010, 11:56 AM   #14
Anthony Giurato

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
I'm the opposite, I dislike "Rah-rah" trainers telling me I need to go harder or faster or whatever. I know what the wod is, I know what I can do. Just check to make sure my form is okay and correct that, otherwise, leave me be.
Agreed. I'm the only person I know of that has showed "Shut up" to the cheering crowd behind me during a 2k at erg sprints.

That being said, I do often wish I had someone working out next to me. Competition can make you work harder, and thinking "at least he/she is suffering too" can help keep you going. Misery does love company.

Last edited by Anthony Giurato : 05-05-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:22 PM   #15
Pete Nadeau

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
I agree 100%, plus years ago I called one of four affiliates in town with some questions and they tried to hard sell me a membership. Turned me right off about affiliates
Old 05-05-2010, 01:13 PM   #16
James White

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Nadeau View Post
I agree 100%, plus years ago I called one of four affiliates in town with some questions and they tried to hard sell me a membership. Turned me right off about affiliates
Hard sells BLOW. I love Jiu-Jitsu, and was inquiring to local gyms. The Gracie gym (the one I'd prefer) turned me off by calling me several times after my inquiry.

Jamie:

Agreed. I ****ed my wife off the other day during Fran and realized I'd feel the same way if she'd been bothering me while I was working. Good call. :-)
Old 05-06-2010, 02:31 AM   #17
Matth Challoner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carina McDonald View Post
Sounds like CF still has to catch on in many countries hey? I'm up here in Canada and had never heard of CF till 4 weeks ago when I "drank the kool aid" - of course offered to me by a family member who does it I believe there are 2 or 3 locations in Calgary?
Yeah, i live in spain and nobody as heard of crossfit here!
Old 05-06-2010, 06:10 AM   #18
Brian Bedell

Profile:

There are several affiliates within range for me, but it's always more convenient and less time consuming to wod at home. The weight is the same, and so is the stop watch, IMO.

Plus an affiliates programming does not necessarily gel with my personal goals and/or rest/recovery schedule.

Sometimes I go to a local affiliate just to meet everyone for a longer MC usually.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:20 AM   #19
Ben Liuzzi

Profile:

Been crossfitting solo here in China for over a year now. Moved out from the globo gym and now do it outside in a communal garden between high-rise apartment buildings. Definitely get an audience sometimes! I never even had the pleasure of meeting another crossfitter, let alone attending an affiliate...hopefully soon.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:28 AM   #20
Carina McDonald

Profile:

Ben I'm sure the second another CF-er sees you they will be over there to say hi!