CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-18-2012, 05:40 AM   #1
Colin Dutton

Profile:
Yet another "I'm going to Start" Thread

Gooood Morning from the middle of the US of A, team. I was hoping to pick your collective brains about CFE.

I've been incorporating CF into my workouts now for probably the better part of a year, and it certainly shows in my explosiveness, and overall athleticism- however, over the last weekend, I spend time at a triathlon (working, not competing) and it reaffirmed that I would love to start working into that kind of shape- and I know that CFE was created to build that type of athlete.

So, the bottom line is that I don't really know where to start. I looked at Brian MacKenzie's 12 week starter program (linked at he bottom) and wanted to know your thoughts on how best to perform it. As a life long strength athlete, I feel slightly lost when it comes to peak performance in the endurance sport arena. So, it looks like this a 3x a week workout, with a strength, crossfit, and endurance component each of those days. If you don't feel like going to the link, I'll just give an example, with questions in parenthesis:

Week 1, Day 1:
- Strength: ME Good Mornings (so, just get as heavy as I can w/ these until I can't do it anymore? Is that for a single rep or, say 5 reps?)

- CF: < 10 Minute WOD, hamstring, glute, low back focus (ok, so, do I do this right after the strength component? How much time between? Do I just put my work workout together, or is there a section of CF or CFE that may provide workouts for those body areas?)

- Endurance: 10x50m swim on 1 min; 10x1/4 mile bike on 1 min; or 8 x 200 m run on 2 mins. (I presume that this is to be performed 3+ hours after the above? In this starter workout, am I doing 1 workout per week per sport? So, for example, Monday I run, Wed I'd swim, Friday I'd bike? Each day of the week, however, provides a different workout for each sport- so do I just pick a workout for day 1 for a sport, then on day two do which ever workout is listed, but for one of the two I didn't pick on day 1? Does my question there make sense?

Then there is the question of the other days of the week. This workout, which I plan to follow beginning this afternoon, provided I hear back from you guys and gals before I start, is for 3 days a week. On the other days, what do you recommend? Just go with how my body feels? I like to throw boxing workouts in 2x/week, so if I add those, I'll be at 5 workouts a week... Is that too much or too little? Would love to know your thoughts.

Also, here is the linked workout so you can see where I'm getting my info:

http://running.competitor.com/files/...an-master1.pdf
Old 06-18-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
Jason Wallis

Profile:
Re: Yet another "I'm going to Start" Thread

Have you looked at http://www.crossfitendurance.com/? WFS

Last edited by Jason Wallis : 06-18-2012 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Never mind.. I went back and actually read your post, lol
Old 06-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #3
Sandon Viers

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Dutton View Post
Gooood Morning from the middle of the US of A, team. I was hoping to pick your collective brains about CFE.

I've been incorporating CF into my workouts now for probably the better part of a year, and it certainly shows in my explosiveness, and overall athleticism- however, over the last weekend, I spend time at a triathlon (working, not competing) and it reaffirmed that I would love to start working into that kind of shape- and I know that CFE was created to build that type of athlete.

So, the bottom line is that I don't really know where to start. I looked at Brian MacKenzie's 12 week starter program (linked at he bottom) and wanted to know your thoughts on how best to perform it. As a life long strength athlete, I feel slightly lost when it comes to peak performance in the endurance sport arena. So, it looks like this a 3x a week workout, with a strength, crossfit, and endurance component each of those days. If you don't feel like going to the link, I'll just give an example, with questions in parenthesis:

Week 1, Day 1:
- Strength: ME Good Mornings (so, just get as heavy as I can w/ these until I can't do it anymore? Is that for a single rep or, say 5 reps?) Max effort is generally 1 rep but I read that Louie Simmons recommends a 3rm for GMs

- CF: < 10 Minute WOD, hamstring, glute, low back focus (ok, so, do I do this right after the strength component? How much time between? Do I just put my work workout together, or is there a section of CF or CFE that may provide workouts for those body areas?) CFE will post the WoDs every day here: http://www.crossfitendurance.com/blog/1 (WFS)

- Endurance: 10x50m swim on 1 min; 10x1/4 mile bike on 1 min; or 8 x 200 m run on 2 mins. (I presume that this is to be performed 3+ hours after the above? In this starter workout, am I doing 1 workout per week per sport? So, for example, Monday I run, Wed I'd swim, Friday I'd bike? Each day of the week, however, provides a different workout for each sport- so do I just pick a workout for day 1 for a sport, then on day two do which ever workout is listed, but for one of the two I didn't pick on day 1? Does my question there make sense? For these workouts you just pick 1 of whatever sport you want. Considering you want to do a tri, I would mix them up.

Then there is the question of the other days of the week. This workout, which I plan to follow beginning this afternoon, provided I hear back from you guys and gals before I start, is for 3 days a week. On the other days, what do you recommend? Just go with how my body feels? I like to throw boxing workouts in 2x/week, so if I add those, I'll be at 5 workouts a week... Is that too much or too little? Would love to know your thoughts. This depends on your ability to recover. If you feel good, go for it, if not cut it back.

Also, here is the linked workout so you can see where I'm getting my info:

http://running.competitor.com/files/...an-master1.pdf
See above.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:53 PM   #4
Colin Dutton

Profile:

Thanks for the feedback- but specifically to my question about the actual WOD- I've been to the site, and I've done workouts off of it- I've just never seen them on that site actually broken down as <10 or, for that matter >10, so I wasn't sure if there is something specific to that that I'm missing, so when I am looking at the WOD being < 10, emphasis on x,y, and z, is the point to just go to the website and find a workout that looks like it would be less than 10 minutes to complete, and emphasizes the body parts outlined?

I know this isn't rocket science, so I apologize if I'm coming off like a total noob on this subject- just want to make sure I do it smart and do it right.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #5
Sandon Viers

Profile:

You could do that, but I think that would create more work than it is worth. What I would do it just pick a past date and start from that on their website. It would be much easier to just follow along than try to create or search for workouts.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:14 PM   #6
Colin Dutton

Profile:

Agreed completely- and I figured it was pretty much that simple. Did week 1 day one today, and it hurt, but it was awesome. Can't wait for tomorrow.

Thanks for the insight, sir.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:01 AM   #7
Sandon Viers

Profile:

Glad I could help, good luck!