CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 08-17-2010, 08:34 PM   #281
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:
Re: My Midlife Crisis

Hi Ben,

Checking in.........been pretty much otherwise involved and no time for sitting at the PC to blog.....

You have been hard at it, my friend! Your progress is remarkable for the time you've been doing CF. Just remember to listen to your body.....

I wouldn't be so disappointed (IMHO) with your 800m run time.....that's really pretty fast (just over a seven minute mile) and it is consistent with the great 400m times you did a few days before. Nice work on the 135# snatch - - even if the weight didn't go up this time, you have been losing weight and with that, a little strength will also go away. But it will come back and you'll PR the living daylights out of things as your body adjusts. The Kb swing "fitness test" is a prime example of how you are doing......AWESOME!
Old 08-18-2010, 08:28 PM   #282
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

That kb fitness test really tore up my back, and my legs and abs are feeling it, too. I am going to take my second day off in a row. Psychologically, it is just hard to force myself to work out when I am very sore and feeling tired. I am finishing another big murder trial tomorrow that has been going on for two weeks, so that has been contributing to my tiredness, too.

Hopefully, tomorrow I will feel like hitting it hard again.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:38 PM   #283
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

I tried to do something with my rope. I couldn't do a single pullup. Not even one reverse pushup. So frustrating....
Old 08-18-2010, 10:16 PM   #284
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin R. Greene View Post
I tried to do something with my rope. I couldn't do a single pullup. Not even one reverse pushup. So frustrating....
That's called "fatigue". I hear ya - - getting a bit of energy back on my end, but sleeping like a hibernating bear when I get the chance. PT is killing me, but really taking care of a big problem (actually, several). Having my work site closer to home starting in Sept. will also be a big help.

Like you, I am hoping to start hitting it hard again! Take care, rest up, and best wishes on the rest of the trial. Blessings!
Old 08-19-2010, 09:34 PM   #285
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

The good news is I finally finished that trial. The bad news is I almost feel sick from the stress. I am taking another day off for my mental health.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:06 PM   #286
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

The act of making an entry in my log inspired me to do something, so I played around with my rope trying to find something I can do with it. My ability to do rope pullups has vanished for some unknown reason. I finally tipped my 24" box over on its side and did rope pullups with my feet on it for sets of 3, 5, 3, 3. At least it's a start. My forearms need to get much stronger before I can even begin to climb it.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:01 PM   #287
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

I had a nice light day at work today and was able to rest a little from all the stress of my trial. I was feeling much better by tonight so I decided to test myself with an oldie but goodie: the dead hang pullup test. I consider this the classic premier test of upper body strength.

I was able to do 11 totally dead hang and a twelfth with just a little bit of leg momentum. I was really happy with those numbers. I felt much "lighter" than when I started doing them back in February of 2010 and I could only do eight. A new PR and an improvement of 50%. (I am sure I "cheated" on the last rep I did when I last tested myself at the pullup bar at the Happy Valley race track in Hong Kong in February.)

Unfortunately, even after three days off, the sore spot in my left elbow started hurting as usual the moment I started my first pullup. I just ignored it. After I finished the set of twelve, I continued to do dead hang pullup sets until I reached 37 reps total and couldn't continue any more. I was very satisfied with my effort. When I started concentrating on improving my pullup numbers a few weeks ago, I maxed out in the low twenties, so my numbers were a lot higher and I was doing dead hangs instead of kipping. If I had been kipping I am sure I could have done at least fifty, which would allow me to do at least a "Half Annie".

I tried to do some ring dips, but my left elbow just wouldn't let me. I did do overhead presses at 155 lbs of 1, 2, 1. They were very challenging. Now that darn sore spot in my elbow is hurting me pretty badly. I am sure a doctor would tell me to stop doing upper body workouts for a month and it will go away, but I don't want to lose the progress I have made.

Tomorrow, I will test myself on the "track workout", a series of timed runs and timed rests I did when I first started CrossFit to see how far I have come, assuming I have made some progress in the last five months.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:00 AM   #288
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

Well, today's attempt at a workout just turned into a disaster. I tried the "run a mile, 50 kb swings, run a mile" workout. My outside upper calves were cramping so bad at the 3/4 mile mark I had to stop.

Why? Different shoes? Bad form? Dehydration? Bad nutrition? I don't know. It was very frustrating. No matter how long or hard I work out, I still have these days.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:36 PM   #289
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

I was able to do reverse pushups using the rope and the top of the 24" plyo box for 3, 3, 1.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:58 PM   #290
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

I did First to Fifty in 4:23, a whole minute faster than I was able to do it on Augsut 15, 2010, just six days ago. Yeah! A new PR and living proof that my metcon fitness has vastly improved since I started CrossFit. When I started, I had to do sets of 15 burpees with two minutes of rest between each set.