CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 08-12-2010, 12:11 AM   #271
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:
Re: My Midlife Crisis

Ben,

I apologize for not posting to your log for quite a while - - I've been been really busy - - primarily with work and travel to and from, PT, and then needing a lot of rest since I've been pretty tired.

Strong work you've been doing to say the least. Props on the great PRs you've set (rowing, Kb swings, etc.). Have you lost weight? That in and of itself will take a little from your dead lift and other heavy lifts until your body readjusts. Also, you've had a lot of different stressors in the past several months, so I'd say you haven't really lost much ground, if any, all else being equal.

Keep up the great work and don't get discouraged. Blessings!

Steve
Old 08-12-2010, 09:26 PM   #272
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

Today I did a main site WOD I have been meaning to try from a couple of months ago.

Do as many rounds of 400 meter runs as you can do in 20 minutes, resting after each round exactly as long as it took to run the 400 meters. Record number of rounds and times.

I completed five rounds in 1:45, 1:35 (PR), 1:49, 1:57, 2:26.

My cardio felt pretty good, but my leg muscles were getting hit pretty hard. I looked like I had dumped a bucket of water over my head when I was done.

In order to train for the Marine obstacle 5k, I have been incorporating a lot of running into my workouts. In order to get even more ready, I installed a fifteen foot climbing rope in my front room. That way I can train on it as much as I can. Yes, I know I am clinically insane.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:51 PM   #273
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

I tried out my new climbing rope. I couldn't climb it at all. I couldn't do even one rope pullup. I couldn't do a flexed-arm hang off the rope, not even for a second.

I finally had to put my feet up on my 24 inch box, recline backwards, and do what I call "reverse pushups" in which I pull myself up a few inches. It was all I could do. That's why I bought the rope, because I need to work on those. On the good side, it did allow me to work my pullup muscles and forearms without the instant pain I get on the inside of my left elbow when I try to do bar pullups.

In CrossFit, there are many exercises that provide instant humility.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:19 AM   #274
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

I neglected to mention I did sets of 3, 4, 3, 3 "reverse pushups".
Old 08-13-2010, 07:00 PM   #275
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

This morning I was able to do two "singles' of rope pullups. Then when I got home I did one more.

Then I completed day five of Week Two of Recon Ron. The good news is I definitely feel stronger on my pullups. The other good news is I didn't feel pain in my left elbow. The bad news is I felt tons of distress in my forearms, particularly the left one. The combination of rope pullups and regular pullups just burned them totally out. We are talking real pain. Ouch!
Old 08-14-2010, 12:28 PM   #276
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

My middle back is pretty sore this morning, so it is time to take a break from all the pullup type exercises. I did do one rope pullup this morning, and they are getting easier already.

I am looking at my list of running type exercises to see which one I will do today.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:59 PM   #277
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

I tried to do some thrusters at 95 lbs, but everything is hurting, so I didn't. I did do a 800 meter run, and even though I felt like I was flying, I came in at 3:47. An incredibly disappointing time.

Since my body is hurting so much and I am getting frustrated, I think it is time to take a break until I feel better. I haven't given myself a day off since the ninth and I am starting to really feel the strain. I have only taken three days off this month so far.

Last edited by Benjamin R. Greene : 08-14-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:42 AM   #278
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

I'm such an exercise addict that even after I wrote yesterday's entry I still went back into the gym and tried to get a new PR in the snatch. (I couldn't. I'm stuck at 135.)

I really paid for that. My body just rebelled and my back started hurting like crazy. The rest of me wasn't feeling too good either. I took a couple of Vicodin and went to sleep.

Even waking up this morning I am struck by how much everything still hurts. I definitely need to rest until tomorrow at least. I noticed my urine was very dark yesterday, a possible sign of rhabdo. I also recall my doctor's warnings about elevated liver enzymes in my blood from my body trying to filter all the waste products from my body breaking down from exercise.

What is frustrating is that I push myself to the point of collapse and beyond and yet my numbers are still far from stellar. I have to remind myself I have been doing this less than six months and I have seen great improvement. I will test myself on the key measures of strength and fitness in late September when I have passed the six months point.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:13 PM   #279
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

I know I promised myself I would take a day off, but I felt well enough by the end of the day to try something relatively light. So I did First to Fifty in 5:23.

It isn't world class time, but I remember when I couldn't do fifty burpees, period. So I am happy.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:26 AM   #280
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

I was feeling particularly unmotivated tonight. I was a little sore in my triceps, lats, and legs from the burpees yesterday. Sometimes, I just feel like going all out. Sometimes, I just feel like skipping it. But I am trying to be consistent about my workouts as long as I am physically able to do something. As I noted when I first started CrossFit, "What would my career progress be like if I only went to work on days I felt highly motivated?"

Tonight I started with completing day six of Week Two of Recon Ron. Even though the workouts are still very challenging, I think I need to progressively increase the workload to maintain a steady rate of improvement. I will go to Week Three with the next workout.

Next, I tested my metcon fitness by doing alternating 35 lb kettlebell swings to face height. When I last did these in April, I could only do three minutes. Today, I hit my goal of four minutes, a new PR. I even felt like I might be capable of going another thirty seconds, but since I met my goal I just stopped. A 33% increase in metcon fitness is good enough for now.