CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 07-08-2010, 07:38 PM   #211
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:
Re: My Midlife Crisis

I am involved in a big murder trial, so I am too burned out for full on workouts. I am just messing around a little in my home gym until I feel energetic enough to tackle the real deal again.

Today, I did 12 ring dips for a new PR. That is a big improvement from when I started in March of this year, when I just couldn't do even one ring dip, no matter how hard I tried.

Out comes the PR dancing pepper!
Old 07-09-2010, 12:27 AM   #212
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin R. Greene View Post
Helen, I will give some thought to that. But I really don't feel out of breath, I feel my heart beating so fast it feels like it is about to jump clean out of my chest.
Ben,

I completely identify with this description you give regarding your heart rate. When I first started CF nearly two years ago, mine would climb to between 150 - 160 BPM. My theoretical maximum was perhaps 164 give or take and that bothered me more than shortness of breath. When I got back into things in February of this year after my four month break, my HR got up to 180 (or close to it) once. But I was fighting a respiratory infection at the time. Again though, my main problem was (and to an extent still is) the opposite of yours....I run out of breath. Is a stress EKG in order for you? Perhaps. I think Bob's suggestion that you have things checked might not be a bad idea, but you know your body well and will make the appropriate decision.

Quote:
I am involved in a big murder trial, so I am too burned out for full on workouts. I am just messing around a little in my home gym until I feel energetic enough to tackle the real deal again.

Today, I did 12 ring dips for a new PR. That is a big improvement from when I started in March of this year, when I just couldn't do even one ring dip, no matter how hard I tried.

Out comes the PR dancing pepper!
Props on the ring dip PR! That's huge! They are soooooo hard and it is so rewarding when one can knock 'em out like that!

Best wishes on the murder trial. You are wise to just chill while you are dealing with that case! Simple, light workouts are the WODs of choice if you do anything, while you have the stress of the trial. Take care.

Blessings!
Old 07-10-2010, 12:29 PM   #213
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

Yeah, since I have been going at it full bore for 12 weeks, I figured a light week would be in order. I am warming up to test myself on Cindy today. I would like to see some improvement.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:18 PM   #214
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

I tested my blood pressure today, and it was 123 over 79. That is considered only borderline prehypertension, and is a big improvement over 160 over 112 in February of 2010.

I am still trying to motivate myself to start CrossFitting again. Lazing around can be addictive.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:16 PM   #215
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

I did Elizabeth as Rx'd in 15:16. Whew!
Old 07-11-2010, 10:03 PM   #216
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Ben,

Props on the blood pressure numbers - - just simply fantastic in 5 months! And that's considering you still have the stress of your work too!

Outstanding Elizabeth!

Take care and God Bless!
Old 07-12-2010, 01:37 AM   #217
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

I tried to finish Diane today, but I simply didn't have the gas in the tank after Elizabeth earlier. My once amazing ability to do HSPUs deserted me. The cleans on Elizabeth burned them out. So I did the deadlift portion as Rx'd. Not bad considering I could only do a few reps with that weight when I started.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:42 PM   #218
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

Today I finished 9 rounds of Cindy, as Rx'd. A new PR!

I didn't even use an assist machine on the pullups, like I did the last three rounds on June 12, 2010 when I finished eight rounds. Am I imagining things, or has my metcon and pullup performance objectively improved? I have to say, I am very happy, since those areas are a special challenge to me.

Cindy has to epitomize the CrossFit challenge. If I described the workout to someone who had never tried it, they would scoff and reply, "Ha! That's child's play. I could do a hundred of those in twenty minutes!" But, oh, is it deceptively hard. Also, it uses the bare minimum of equipment to create pure torture. A classic CrossFit exercise.

I actually had forty seconds to go when I finished the ninth round, but I was just too far gone to continue. My next goal will be ten.

I finally finished my trial, thank goodness. Now I can go back to sleeping, eating and working out.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:31 PM   #219
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

I had a minor surgical procedure done today. I have to cease and desist from working out through the weekend. Doctor's orders.

I was thinking about my CrossFit goals today. I need to concentrate on doing more metcon workouts and improve my pullups. Those are my weaknesses. I am going to start emphasizing sprint routines, Cindy and burpees. The down side is I will be doing all the workouts I despize. The good news is I should get better at them with practice and training.

My goal is to get to 13 rounds of Cindy by the end of the year. That would be huge and would represent a material increase in my metcon abilities. Until I have large improvements in my metcon workouts and my pullups, decent times in a large number of the benchmark workouts will be unobtainable.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:27 PM   #220
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Quote:
I had a minor surgical procedure done today. I have to cease and desist from working out through the weekend. Doctor's orders.

I was thinking about my CrossFit goals today. I need to concentrate on doing more metcon workouts and improve my pullups. Those are my weaknesses. I am going to start emphasizing sprint routines, Cindy and burpees. The down side is I will be doing all the workouts I despize. The good news is I should get better at them with practice and training.

My goal is to get to 13 rounds of Cindy by the end of the year. That would be huge and would represent a material increase in my metcon abilities. Until I have large improvements in my metcon workouts and my pullups, decent times in a large number of the benchmark workouts will be unobtainable.
Ben,

You are doing a great job and progressing so rapidly. I'll venture to say that with the hard work you've been putting in (too much hard work, sometimes!), you'll have better than 13 rounds of Cindy by the end of the year. Rather than just concentrate on metcons like Cindy, consider all of them - - even the weight-bearing ones (with barbells/dumbells/Kbs). Scaling the weights back so you can push for shorter times will really up the oxygen intake/debt and force you into anaerobic threshold just as much as pushing heavy stuff around, but you'll accomplish more work and you'll be able to get through (completely) the workout.

I admire how hard you are able to concentrate and push yourself when you work out alone - - very few people have that ability.

Rest up, heal up, and take care! Blessings!

Steve