CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 06-27-2010, 12:41 AM   #191
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:
Re: My Midlife Crisis

Ben,

You did AWESOME challenging "Linda." I have never taken her on yet......though I've been doing CF for nearly 2 years. The excuse has been there's no way to set up three bars with the proper weights when others need to be able to get at the equipment. Problem is, I can do this workout when the box is pretty much empty and the equipment is available......

Great job on the ring dips! I knocked out 10 in a row (full ROM / depth) today also - - my very first time doing so. Great job of rowing!
Old 06-28-2010, 07:31 PM   #192
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

Great job to you too. Nice new picture, by the way. The new buff Stephen.

I got a touch of heatstroke today. I was filming a television commercial in 105 degree heat, on concrete, in a black suit. I kept complaining about the heat, but it took an hour and a half and just fried my brain. Headache, blood shot eyes...No CrossFit tonight.

Oh well...
Old 06-28-2010, 07:42 PM   #193
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

Oh, some good news on the health front. I went to the dentist today. My teeth are in better shape than ever and my blood pressure has declined from 160 over 112 to 130 over 90. The dentist says that is a huge improvement. I guess the combo of stopping drinking and doing CrossFit are finally resulting in measurable improvements in my health.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:17 PM   #194
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Hey Ben!

Glad to see you aren't too badly off - - the heat is nasty! Before we moved to the Sierras, I did several years in the Redding Area CHP Office......days of working the road in 115 - 118 degree heat (over 100 for sure for 6 - 8 weeks). Got to be real fun at big wrecks, wearing vests, Sam Browne belts, etc......

Props on the new, healthy Ben! Those are FANTASTIC numbers (and they'll only get better). Proud of you, Dude! Keep on Rockin' On!
BTW - thanks for the comment on my avatar. Pic is about a year old when we were still in the garage gym.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:23 PM   #195
Richard Macaulay

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen R. Lampl View Post
Hey Ben!

Glad to see you aren't too badly off - - the heat is nasty! Before we moved to the Sierras, I did several years in the Redding Area CHP Office......days of working the road in 115 - 118 degree heat (over 100 for sure for 6 - 8 weeks). Got to be real fun at big wrecks, wearing vests, Sam Browne belts, etc......

Props on the new, healthy Ben! Those are FANTASTIC numbers (and they'll only get better). Proud of you, Dude! Keep on Rockin' On!
BTW - thanks for the comment on my avatar. Pic is about a year old when we were still in the garage gym.
Mate iv just stopped in to check out your log, and your doing great. Gotta say whos idea was it to film in that heat in dark clothes lol. Glad your recovering, and good news on the BP front. Logs looking great mate, keep rocking it.

Ricky
Old 06-29-2010, 10:01 PM   #196
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

Thanks, guys! Yeah, the mild case of heatstroke I suffered yesterday was still affecting me today, I believe. When I started my warmup, I tried to do ten pullups, normally no problem, and failed at seven. My Cal City trainer, Bob, and I were discussing it and he reminded me of yesterday's heat exhaustion. That is the most likely explanation.

Today's workout:

Set a cone at 20 meters. Five rounds for time of:
185 pound barbell Overhead walk, 40 meters
30 Wallball shots, 20 pound ball
95 pound barbells Farmer carry, 40 meters

We scaled it down to three rounds, 135 pounds for the overhead carry and 65 pounds for the Farmer's Walk. I completed it in 21:17, but this one really pushed me to my absolute limits. It was the hardest WOD I have ever completed. I seriously considered quitting about the middle of the second round. It didn't help that the wind was blowing like crazy in the desert, either.
Or that it was still very hot at 6 pm. I kept going mainly out of a sense of pride. I had to dig really deep to finish that one.

That is one unexpected way that working out in a group helps produce greater results. I certainly would have quit if I had been doing that alone in my garage gym. I simply would not have found any motivation to keep going.

One of my fellow athletes is a Superman named Ron. He usually flies through every workout as RX'd and then cheers the rest of us on while we struggle to finish it scaled. Even he struggled to finish this one. By the way, he is a very thin guy, so it just goes to show that CrossFit Supermen and (Women) come in both genders and all shapes and sizes.

I asked him how in the world he could possibly be so fit: He has been doing CrossFit for three years. Hopefully I will be half the athlete he is in three years.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:51 PM   #197
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Hey Ben,

Great job of giving the Main Page WOD your best shot, despite the heat exhaustion/heat stroke. That looked like a beast of a workout - - I would have had to scale it drastically for the overhead walk and the rest of it would have been a struggle too.

You are so correct - - CrossFit athletes do come in all shapes and sizes. We have a guy in our box (fire fighter) who is about 5'5" and 220......a bit on the overweight side, but strong as an ox. He recently C&J'd 245#......I can barely put half that weight overhead!

Keep the faith.....you are already a great CF athlete and will just keep on improving! Blessings.

Steve
Old 07-01-2010, 03:45 AM   #198
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

Today I really have something to brag about. In February of this year, I could front squat 95 pounds. When I started CrossFit, I had gone up to 135. I went to 185 after a couple of months. Two weeks ago I maxed out at 205 and I was absolutely amazed. I was already doing things I didn't think I was capable of.

Yesterday I did front squats of 185, 205, 225 (PR), 235 (PR), 245 (PR), 255(PR!).

I have been saving a particular icon for the right moment. That moment has arrived.

I am so happy. If you would have bet me money when I started that I would front squat 255 by June, I would have told you I wouldn't have been able to do that EVER. I associated that type of weight with Olympic lifters, not desk jockeys like me. I remember reading when I first started perusing the forums about guys lifting that kind of weight and marveling at their strength. Now I am marveling at my own.

You have to keep in mind, there was a time in my life when I injured myself trying to back squat too much weight: 185. True story.

Since CrossFit Bako's website seems to have crashed for some reason, I can't copy and paste the whole workout. Nevertheless, it consisted of 8 Tabata rounds apiece of box jumps (I started with a 24 inch box and then moved down to an 18 inch box on about round six), push presses (started with 75 pounds and quickly moved down to 45 pounds and couldn't even do that), Abmat situps, and squats.

Before I started CrossFIt, it was my belief that you couldn't do sit ups without anchoring your feet firmly. When I read for the first time on CrossFit that it was possible, if your abdominal muscles were strong enough, to do them unanchored, I thought, "Not me, pal." Yet now I am repping out Tabata sets of unanchored sit ups.

If only I had similar stories about pullups or burpees or distance running. I just don't have wonderous and amazing tales of improvement in those areas yet. Even when huge improvements are made, there are always other frontiers to conquer.

Last edited by Benjamin R. Greene : 07-01-2010 at 03:57 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:53 PM   #199
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

I took it easy today, since I was a little burned out from yesterday.

Today's garage WOD:

Ring dips: 5-5-5-5-7-4
Old 07-02-2010, 08:53 PM   #200
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

I am just psychologically burned out and I need an evening off. Enough said.