CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-08-2006, 01:32 PM   #1
Sean Manseau

Profile:
opinions please. is it "better" to do the WOD with the prescribed weights, even if it means having to break up sets (thus slowing things down), or to work with lighter weights that'd allow you to burn right through? for instance, a week or so ago there wasa run/cleans WOD that started with 155 lbs for 9 reps. in your experience, which approach is more effective: cleaning the weight in 9 single efforts, or starting at 115 lbs and banging it out?

Old 01-08-2006, 01:59 PM   #2
Frank Menendez

Profile:
ditto that
Old 01-08-2006, 02:12 PM   #3
Vincent Gerbert

Profile:  
In my opinion, it's better to do the reps and lower the weight when needed.
{I think that question already been answered tho}

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/24/6068.html
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/24/6710.html

Didn't find the topic i was looking for... but if these can help...

(Message edited by Pull_Ups_Lover on January 08, 2006)
Old 01-08-2006, 03:30 PM   #4
Eric Cimrhanzel

Profile:
Lighter weights. Burn right through.

For benchmark workouts only (like the CF Storms Grace, Fran, Linda, etc, or any you make up on your own): Once you hit a time that pleases you, up the weight slightly. Hit that time again, then up the weight slightly. Rinse and repeat.

(Message edited by cimrhanzel on January 08, 2006)
Old 01-08-2006, 04:58 PM   #5
Kurtis Bowler

Profile:
If you think you can finish the workout in 15-20 minutes with the prescribed weight and good form, you should use the prescribed weight.
My two cents.
Kurtis Bowler
Rainier CrossFit
Old 01-08-2006, 06:04 PM   #6
John Messano

Profile:
i consider my likely optimal power output before i start a metabolic workout. load x time = power. if the load is so heavy that my time will exceed 20 minutes or the average posted times, i usually scale it.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:12 AM   #7
Sean Manseau

Profile:
hey, thanks for the tips. you guys are the best.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:36 AM   #8
Nick Cummings

Profile:

I have taken the other track. I get through as much of the WoD as I can in the time it takes me. Once in a week or two this takes me to workouts that are over an hour long. I usually stop at an hour but last week I kept going to finish Linda in, I don't know, an hour and 9 minutes. I have recieved support for this method from a few people on this message board including Robb Wolf. I don't know if one way is supperior to the other. I would think that they simply emphasize diffrent aspects of CrossFit and build towards the other aspects that they reduce as a trainee progresses. I value my max and relative strength highly and chose to take the path that I feel emphasizes these qualities slightly more then the metabolic conditioning, although I feel I am improving my met con as well.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:46 AM   #9
William Hunter

Profile:
I think it matters what the greater weakness is. If you're strong but get easily winded, then reducing the weight and increasing reps and speed would be right on. You can sacrifice a little absolute strength for the time being. If you're skinny and weak (like me) then you may gain more from working the heavier weights, allowing met con to suffer for the time being.

After 6 mos of the WOD, I switched to a combo of Bill Starr's 5x5 and DJ's OLAD for 3 mos. Nothing metabolic at all. I tested myself on Fran just after and reduced my time by 25%. For me it was all about lack of strength. YMMV.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:17 AM   #10
Graham Hayes

Profile:
I agree with Will. Depends on where you're at and what you want to focus on. Always using light weights and ripping through means you don't get the stimulus of heavy weight at high heart rate. Always using heavy weights means you don't get the metabolic meltdown common with ripping through a WOD. There is no "better" IMO, unless you know the future and what type of fitness you will need.