CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-21-2009, 03:43 PM   #1
Lisa Walker

Profile:
Training Plates for Oly Lifts - Where to purchase?

Hi, All,

I have popped around through various threads on this topic, but haven't found "exactly" what I'm seeking. I wish to pick up two training plates for my Oly lifting bar. When I am doing drills on the movements, it will help if things are a little lighter. I currently have Pendlay bars, and am considering the Hitech Technique Plates on his site, but know nothing about their durability.

Where is the best place (high quality/good prices) to purchase these?

Thanks.

Lisa
Old 12-21-2009, 04:04 PM   #2
Robert Britt Freund

Profile:
Re: Training Plates for Oly Lifts - Where to purchase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Walker View Post
Hi, All,

I have popped around through various threads on this topic, but haven't found "exactly" what I'm seeking. I wish to pick up two training plates for my Oly lifting bar. When I am doing drills on the movements, it will help if things are a little lighter. I currently have Pendlay bars, and am considering the Hitech Technique Plates on his site, but know nothing about their durability.

Thanks.

Lisa
Hi Lisa.

There is absolutely NO QUESTION of the durability of the HiTech plates. They are a fiber-resin plate and there is pretty much no way to hurt them, short of taking a blow-torch to them. I personally have pairs of 2.5 kg, 5 kg, and 5 lbs that I got from Glenn a few years back. They are rock solid and will never ever need to be replaced.

That being said, would you mind describing what you want to accomplish and how much weight you are thinking about?

The HiTech plates are very expensive (around $150/pair) and there are probably cheaper ways of getting a "lighter bar".

You could, for example, get a 10 lb or 15 lb aluminum technique bar (typically 25 mm diameter to match the women's Oly bar specs) for about the same price, or even less. Rogue, MuscleDriver/Pendlay, Garage Gym Store, etc... all carry some version of these bars.

You could also get 10 or 15 lb rubber plates instead of the HiTech plates. The rubber plates (especially the 10 lb plates) are not as sturdy as the HiTech plates, but they will get the job done. The best 10 lb rubber plates (IMHO) are the HiTemp rubber bumper plates that you can get from Rogue. I, personally, LOVE the 15 lb HiTemp rubber bumper plates because they are rock solid and don't pretzel at all. However, there are many different versions of 15 lb plates that you can get (Rogue HG plates, MuscleDriver/Pendlay Colored Bumper Plates, Garage Gym Store) so look around. All of these plates will cost A LOT less than the HiTech plates.

Hope this helps...

Regards,
brittf

Last edited by Robert Britt Freund : 12-21-2009 at 04:15 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:10 PM   #3
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

The only other 5kg bumper plates that are as durable as the Hi Tech plates are the Leoko bumpers from Finland. They cost $229. EACH.

http://www.atomicathletic.com/store/...roductid=AA5KT

link is work/family safe.

As was mentioned, the most cost effective solution is a lighter barbell.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:12 PM   #4
Paul Siegel

Profile:

If you're just looking to get the bar at the correct height off the floor you can use plywood cut to the size of a normal plate. 17.7" if I'm not mistaken. You can get quite a few from a 4'x8' piece of plywood.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:19 PM   #5
Robert Britt Freund

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
The only other 5kg bumper plates that are as durable as the Hi Tech plates are the Leoko bumpers from Finland. They cost $229. EACH.

http://www.atomicathletic.com/store/...roductid=AA5KT

link is work/family safe.

As was mentioned, the most cost effective solution is a lighter barbell.
Holy CRUD!!!! Lincoln, I had NO IDEA that there were technique plates even more expensive than the HiTech plates... WOW!!! $229 EACH?!?!?! Wonder how many of them they sell!!! Probably pop off the shelves like hotcakes at a Church breakfast .

Regards,
brittf
Old 12-21-2009, 04:37 PM   #6
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

I had a chance to try the Leokos in Sacramento -- Veronica Carpenter's stomping grounds. They are SWEET. Built like a tank and had a nice rubber rim so they aren't noisy like the HiTechs. Expensive though.

The Eleiko 5kg bumpers are $159 each. They are I.W.F. competition certified but they are not as durable as the HiTechs or the Leokos. The Werksan 5kg I.W.F. certified bumpers are $250/pair, no idea how durable they are.

The problem is physics and engineering -- the lighter bumpers need to be nearly as strong as the heavier bumpers but use much less material. That means more engineering and more expensive, exotic materials that are stronger per pound. Any idiot can make a durable 25kg bumper; making an affordable, durable 5kg bumper is a whole 'nother kettle of fish. Plywood bumpers are cheap, but they aren't durable. Forged aluminum bumpers like the Leoko are durable but they aren't cheap. Exotic materials like UHMWPE (Ultra High Moleculer Weight Poly Ethylene) aren't cheap either.

Last edited by Lincoln Brigham : 12-21-2009 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:52 PM   #7
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Walker View Post
Hi, All,

Thanks.

Lisa

You can check http://www.muscledriverusa.com/searc...292137&x=0&y=0 (wfs). The 2.5kg are $130, and 5kg are $155.
If cost is an issue, I have seen some affiliates use plywood. Use a saw and cut out a circle the same size as the bumberplates, and cut the small circle in the middle of the plate for placement on the barbell.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:58 PM   #8
Robert Britt Freund

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
I had a chance to try the Leokos in Sacramento -- Veronica Carpenter's stomping grounds. They are SWEET. Built like a tank and had a nice rubber rim so they aren't noisy like the HiTechs. Expensive though.

The Eleiko 5kg bumpers are $159 each. They are I.W.F. competition certified but they are not as durable as the HiTechs or the Leokos. The Werksan 5kg I.W.F. certified bumpers are $250/pair, no idea how durable they are.

The problem is physics and engineering -- the lighter bumpers need to be nearly as strong as the heavier bumpers but use much less material. That means more engineering and more expensive, exotic materials that are stronger per pound. Any idiot can make a durable 25kg bumper; making an affordable, durable 5kg bumper is a whole 'nother kettle of fish. Plywood bumpers are cheap, but they aren't durable. Forged aluminum bumpers like the Leoko are durable but they aren't cheap. Exotic materials like UHMWPE (Ultra High Moleculer Weight Poly Ethylene) aren't cheap either.
Super interesting.

A question for you (at the risk of hijacking this thread): Do you find the need to use technique plates very often?

I am pretty comfortable with my lightest lifts being 85 lbs (20 kg bar, 5 kg collars, 15 lb plates) and mostly comfortable with 45 kgs (20 kg bar, 5 kg collars, 10 kg plates). I only ever use the 2.5 kg and 5 kg plates when I am really trying to warm up slowly and with perfect form.

If a woman is starting out, I can definitely see the need for both a 15 lb technique bar and 10 lb technique plates with a spring collar. That would put her lightest loaded bar at 35 lbs (plus maybe 1 lb for the collars). That would be "relatively close" (load per bodyweight) to my 85 lb minimum (figuring that I weight twice what a smaller woman does).

What are your thoughts...

Regards,
brittf
Old 12-21-2009, 06:50 PM   #9
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

Robert - training bar is quite a necessity for all ladies. Most will be able to progress to 35 lbs snatch fairly easy, while bumping up to 53 lbs (15 kg bar + 2x10 lbs bumpers) might take a bit longer.

As an inexpensive option - Rogue 10 lbs bumpers are pretty good. Not as sturdy of course as the Hi Techs but the price is hard to beat - $35/pair.

I have 30 plates total & they work far better than any other 10 lbs regular bumpers I've seen - far sturdier & don't wobble.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:48 PM   #10
Michael Pilhofer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonid Soubbotine View Post
As an inexpensive option - Rogue 10 lbs bumpers are pretty good. Not as sturdy of course as the Hi Techs but the price is hard to beat - $35/pair.

I have 30 plates total & they work far better than any other 10 lbs regular bumpers I've seen - far sturdier & don't wobble.
+1 on Rogue 10's. The best in the business for the cost.
www.CrossFitMSP.com