CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-13-2009, 04:27 PM   #1
Brian Joseph

Profile:
About to build a garage gym, a few questions about equipment inside...

I am trying to put together a garage gym on about a $1500 budget to start out. I will add to it over the next couple years as funds become available to put into it. Here is my plan so far:

Three 4'x6'x3/4" Rubber Floor Mats from Tractor Supply ($117)
Squat Rack - Either Rogue, or York ($450 or $240)
45 lb Olympic Bar ($130)
Olympic Bumper Plates: 4x45, 2x25, 4x10, 2x5 ($300)
Pull Up bar (I will build this)
Elite EXF Rings ($71.95)
20" Plyometric Box with 4" booster (I will build this)
20lb Dynamax Medicine Ball ($109)
Bench (Looking at either rogue or york) (~$200)
Dumbells (I already have a pretty good selection of dumbells)

My add ons over the next couple years would be:
C2 Rower
GHD bench
1, 1.5, and 2pd KB's (this will probably be the first thing I add, although in the meantime I will do swings with dumbells)
Campus Board
Peg Board
Additional olympic weight bar
Additional olympic bumper plates

My biggest question at this point is what is the quality difference between the Rogue SPX squat rack and the York press squat stand ( http://www.christiansfitnessfactory....-Stand-FTS-PSS )YOU MUST ENSURE YOU ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.? Obviously there is about a $200 difference which makes a big dent in a small budget, but I don't mind putting out the extra cash if there is a huge quality difference. I can pick up the York rack and bumper plates from a local distributor nearby as well, saving significant money on the shipping costs.

My garage has 13' ceilings, so plenty of room to hang rings. I will put all of the equipment in half the garage, so that we can still comfortably park 1 car inside. I'd like to design it so that when everything is put away, we can fit the 2nd car in the garage as well.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:31 PM   #2
Jared Ashley

Profile:
Re: About to build a garage gym, a few questions about equipment inside...

I'd get the rack... the stands can't spot you.

OR, save some cash and build sawhorses at just the right height to spot you.

I'd also save about $100 and just build a med ball... basketball + sand = $10 med ball and it's just as durable.

What bumpers are you getting? I've never seen them for anywhere near that cheap, even the hi-temps from wright rubber. wright's run about $2 a pound, that's about double what you're quoting.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:42 PM   #3
Alec Sean Kellish

Profile:

http://www.againfaster.com/home-essential/ WFS
I am currently at the same point as you, I don't have any money at all, seriously i have like 100dollars that is it. But I found that package and you can do most WoDs with just that stuff
it is 500 dollars over your budget but it could give you some solid ideas
Old 12-13-2009, 05:59 PM   #4
Matt Thacker

Profile:

I would save the money on the bench and maybe the squat rack...as you can find thes locally from Craigslist for cheaper. I would also get only 2 x 45 on the bumpers and 2 X 10...unless you are a beast. You could do DL's with metal plates (also availiable locally for cheaper. I would use this saved money to buy a GHD or a Craigslist C2. The Craigslist stuff is somewhat hard to find, you ave to check everyday and be patient. I outfitted almost all of my affiliate with Craigslist stuff. A good bar from Pendalay or whatever is a good investment.

Good luck and show us pics!
Old 12-13-2009, 06:55 PM   #5
Matt Payne

Profile:

I would for sure spend more $$ on a good bar. This makes all the difference in the world. I too would do without a bench and squat stands and put that $$ towards a used C2 if you can find one. Dynamax ball could come later.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:28 PM   #6
Jeremy Galo

Profile:

As other people have said... Craigslist, Craigslist, Craigslist!!!

I bought a Parabody bench for $75
Decent full cages can be had for under $200 easy

I DEFINITELY agree with what Matt said about putting more money towards a better bar. $130 isn't going to get you a very good bar.

Not really sure why you need 4x10s or 2x5s. I say just go with 2x10s. I like that you're ditching the 35s. Depending on how strong your jerk is,
I'd ditch a pair of those 45s, but if you can jerk more than 205, then stick with it. Other than that, go to Craigslist again for some metal weights so you can do heavier deadlifts.

To answer your question, from what I know, the quality of both are top notch. In fact, they use both at Rogue (if I recall correctly). The differences are more in the details. The SPX has padded J-hooks but the fact that it doesn't have a telescoping upright makes it less likely to miss the hooks. Other than that, I believe they're both capable of bearing substantial weight.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:51 PM   #7
David Tybor

Profile:

Good luck with the process. I put together my garage gym from scratch this summer, and actually had a good time searching out deals. You can totally do this for $1500.

I would suggest that you don't need bumpers to start. Put those in your "add ons" category. Just buy used oly plates for now (how do you think people cleaned and snatched and pressed before bumper plates were invented?). They are basically giving weights away on Craigslist (wfs: http://charlotte.craigslist.org/zip/1508027846.html).

I agree with the other guys to get the squat stands/rack/cage and the bench from craigslist. Easy way to save $100s. I got bumpers, a 2 pood kbell, a pair of C2s, and a ton (well, almost a ton) of free iron on craigslist.

And spend more of your budget NOW on a good bar that will last forever.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:03 PM   #8
Jon Gilson

Profile:

Brian,

In terms of pure functionality, prioritize the following:

A high-quality barbell
A set of bumper plates and iron 5s/2.5s
A pair of squat stands
A pullup bar
A pair of rings

Lock me on a desert island with this setup, and I'm good for twenty years of high intensity training.

You're on the right track, especially given that you already have dumbbells. Lose the Dynamax Ball and the Bench, and you're well within budget.

I hope that helps.

Best,

Jon
Old 12-18-2009, 08:37 AM   #9
John Jaeckel

Profile:

I'd get some k-bells.

I used to do k-bell exercises with dumbbells, and you can, but k-bells are better for a variety of reasons.

I also have a second barbell (a lighter, cheaper gnurled bar and older weights I use for alternating upper body work with lower body in certain WODS.

I have bought them from Christian before and his prices are good. Living in Columbus, I now buy exclusively from Rogue, just because there's no shipping and I work out there, too. And they're good dudes.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:58 AM   #10
Brian Bedell

Profile:

IMO, buy 2x45's bumpers and 2x25's bumpers first. You can use iron for everything else. Then if you have the money, or you can add later 2x15's bumpers. They are more sturdy for use by themselves and have more utility then the 10's as well.