CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-16-2009, 02:18 AM   #1
Bryan Kemper

Profile:
CF WOD + CFFB Strength WOD

I am contemplating incorporating the CF Football strength WOD into my CF WODs. I compiled all of the August WODs and the CFFB Offseason Amateur Strength WODs to see how difficult the program would be. There are weeks were the rest days for both match up, but then others to where they don't. I feel that if I listen to how my body is feeling and force myself to cut out a WOD/SWOD and create a full rest day or two that I would be able to stick with the program. My main goal is to continue the WODs but build strength at the same without having to create a strength program on my own (own of my historical fitness downfalls....).

Personal info: Crossfitting since Dec 08, regular 5-6x per week, lost 25 lbs since Nov 08, Excellent (93.75) AF PT test in May 09, two half-marathons this year, CF NW Qualifier.

Thanks,

Bryan
Old 09-16-2009, 05:43 AM   #2
Joe Bernard

Profile:
Re: CF WOD + CFFB Strength WOD

Why not try the Wichita Falls Program? More strength-based, but with some short metcons mixed in. Seems like a solid program for your goals.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:19 PM   #3
Departed

Profile:  

Hey Brian. How ya doing? I e-mailed John Welbourn about this and he said the programs work best done individually. However, plenty of athletes do a strength WOD and a metcon of varying length in a day. The key, as you already stated, is listening to your body. Be smart about it. Doing 1RM C&J followed by "Grace" is not a good mix. So if the WODs don't line up well, then be ready to change one of them. Eat well, drink a LOT of water, and get good sleep. Good luck!
Old 09-16-2009, 02:40 PM   #4
Dave Winchester

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Kemper View Post
I am contemplating incorporating the CF Football strength WOD into my CF WODs. I compiled all of the August WODs and the CFFB Offseason Amateur Strength WODs to see how difficult the program would be. There are weeks were the rest days for both match up, but then others to where they don't. I feel that if I listen to how my body is feeling and force myself to cut out a WOD/SWOD and create a full rest day or two that I would be able to stick with the program. My main goal is to continue the WODs but build strength at the same without having to create a strength program on my own (own of my historical fitness downfalls....).

Personal info: Crossfitting since Dec 08, regular 5-6x per week, lost 25 lbs since Nov 08, Excellent (93.75) AF PT test in May 09, two half-marathons this year, CF NW Qualifier.

Thanks,

Bryan
What's the reason for not following the CFFB DWOD? Worded differently, why is one goal "to continue following the WODs"?
Old 09-16-2009, 03:26 PM   #5
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Bryan,

a quick search shows your NW qual #'s as 36x DL and 12x press, and a near 200lb BW according to one of your older posts on here. I think getting stronger would help you quite a bit. Either the CFFB program as prescribed or the CFWF as prescribed would probably show great results.

You mentioned here: "without having to create a strength program on my own (own of my historical fitness downfalls....) - so don't mess with the program! Find one you like, and stick with it. You'll be kicking *** in no time.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:55 PM   #6
Bryan Kemper

Profile:

Thanks for all of the feedback. I have attached a modified Aug schedule that moves the strength WODs to match a 3 on, 1 off schedule. By doing the mainsite WODs and CFFB strength WODs on the days posted, I would risk overtraining really quickly. There were only 3 pure rest days during the month and those were within an 8 day period in weeks 3 and 4. There are a few days with some back to back squats, but in-flight corrections are possible if needed.

I have looked at CFWF for their strength based program. I read the article and like its viewpoint, but I could not find the WODs. I see the daily WOD on thier website, but did not appreciate a huge strength bias to the WODs. Correct me or redirect me, if I am wrong.

As to just doing CFFB solely, I still like the style of the mainsite WODs as far as the Metcon length and intensity. CFFB DWODs focus more on explosive, short duration WODs for football and other related sports. I like the GPP nature of CF WODs and feel that they serve me best in my military career. Adding some good, focus heavy strength days should help me boost my overall performance and help me for next years NW qualifier!

Finally, I will be taking over one of our CF classes at my deployed location in Iraq. Since I am not strong at programming and do not have a cert yet, I want to keep the mainstay of my classes to the mainsite WOD and add the strength WOD for myself and others that desire it who are competent/proficient with the WODs already. Currently, we have two level 1 trainers that will provide some "train the trainer" time before they leave to make sure that the non-cert class leaders are competent.

Thanks,

Bryan
Attached Files
File Type: doc Proposed CF WOD+Strength WOD plan.doc (53.0 KB, 441 views)
Old 09-16-2009, 10:10 PM   #7
Bryan Kemper

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gedicks View Post
Hey Brian. How ya doing? I e-mailed John Welbourn about this and he said the programs work best done individually. However, plenty of athletes do a strength WOD and a metcon of varying length in a day. The key, as you already stated, is listening to your body. Be smart about it. Doing 1RM C&J followed by "Grace" is not a good mix. So if the WODs don't line up well, then be ready to change one of them. Eat well, drink a LOT of water, and get good sleep. Good luck!

Chris,

Things are well in Iraq. My prior post pretty much sums up a response. I really have to watch myself for signs of overtraining. Back home at our box, I get "sucked" into the programming a bit too much and don't take a day off during the week because I don't want to miss a particular WOD. You guys do a great job of programming and I like the results, so I tend to push myself too far and wind up having to take more time off than I would like.

Let me know what you think of the calendar that I attached.

Take care,

Bryan

PS...Richelle is registered for a level 1 in December in southern CA.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:29 PM   #8
Departed

Profile:  

Bryan,

I know how that goes. The first affiliate I ever went to I used to do the same thing. I never wanted to miss a WOD because they all looked so fun, and I would end up going 6 days on 1 day off. It's tough, but you'll see great results by forcing yourself to rest. Richelle mentioned her cert and it's obvious she's very excited. She's been talking about the wheels being in motion for an affiliate at Elmendorf, so maybe that'll be an opportunity for her. Glad to hear you are doing well.

As far as the programming goes, there are a couple things I would change. There are a few days where you have back-to-backs of roughly the same movement. One 2 day cycle that comes to mind has 3 X 5 Press followed the next day by 7 X 1 Push Press. I would definitely alter one of those in that situation to prevent injury/overtraining. Also, one day has FGB followed by heavy deadlifts that same day. If you do that, I would suggest doing them with a lot of rest in between. FGB is an extremely taxing workout, and you are doing a lot of SDHP. Injury on heavy days most often occurs due to fatigue, especially with something as taxing and focus intensive as heavy deadlifts. So just be aware of how the workouts interact with each other and don't be afraid to throw one of them out the window that day if you aren't feeling up to it. Also, I would suggest always doing the strength WOD first. As I mentioned, injury most often occurs on heavy days because fatigue leads to a lack of focus on proper form. So keep that in mind. For the most part though I think you have a good program lined out for yourself. Keep us posted! Take care.
Chris
Old 09-17-2009, 01:05 PM   #9
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Kemper View Post
I have attached a modified Aug schedule that moves the strength WODs to match a 3 on, 1 off schedule. By doing the mainsite WODs and CFFB strength WODs on the days posted, I would risk overtraining really quickly.

IMO, this schedule is guaranteed to overtrain you. It is a LOT of work. The CFFB metcons and strength days are at least considered together. Placing the CFFB strength workouts with the .com WODs makes as much sense as putting together 2 different affiliate workouts. Your entire program needs to be cohesive if you want it to work.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:09 PM   #10
Bryan Kemper

Profile:

Chris and Jacob,

Good points by both of you. I can see that have back to back days of a particular lift would not be a good idea and to not add a heavy day on top of a killer WOD (ie FGB and DL 5RM).

I am trying to maintain following the mainsite WODs, but trying to add a logical additional strength component. We have three WOD classes M-F, single classes on Sat/Sun that follow the mainsite, delayed by a day. I like the aspect of the group/set time since that keeps me on a set schedule. I do have the time to split the strength portion to a different time of the day to allow for some recovery, similar to CFE WODs.

I am not confident enough to attempt to design my own metcon and strength WOD longterm plan, hence trying to merge the two programs. If anyone has a good suggestion for programming additional strength WODs to the mainsite WOD that would be a good challenge without a huge risk of overtraining, I would be very grateful. However, I do understand that I am trying to change/modify/upscale the programming that someone else has done already, so to quote Rip, "If you change the program, you are not doing the program anymore."

Thank you for the reality based feedback.

Bryan