CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:51 PM   #1
Beth Rypins

Profile:
Closing the deal with the Millitary

I own Wine Country CrossFit in the Napa Valley, and have recently gotten the Army recruiters going with CrossFit. Today I met 10 new future soldiers and 5 future Marines. I ran them thru a killer workout that they all loved, or hated, depending on your perspective. They know this workout will cause them to exceed expectations on the PFT. But, I don't have a background in sales, and didn't know how to close the deal.

Should I have offered them a group military discount right there and gotten them to sign onto the on-ramp program right there or what? I passed out my cards, but my inability to close the deal means that I now have heaps of follow-up work to do.

Thanks in advance for the advice, Beth
Old 08-26-2009, 11:19 PM   #2
Frank E Morel

Profile:
Re: Closing the deal with the Millitary

hijack... Are you crossfit worx?

Back to thread.
From a biz angle .. Try not to offer a discount on something that someone will pay full price for. If they an re waffling on their decision then throw a bone to get them. That could be a simple 5 percent.. or better yet.. have them bring another person to a workout then give them a 1:1 workout.. say a kb session.

Or run a short intensive course as your talking that some of these guy will have signed the dotted line on their papers and will be waiting for a phonecall that will say it time to go. " here today.. gone tomorrow"

To quote a favourite line from a great movie... A B C ...... ALWAYS BE CLOSING
First pitch could be... "You want to have an easier time at boot camp? ... get in shape Now."
emphasis on "fitter you are... less eye time on you during PT by the staff" In order to recover faster, you NEED TOBE CONDITIONED"
Repeat over and over ... "getting in shape will improve their success in bootcamp." During the intro class you giving.
They just need to believe they need it. Then they need to understand it. Its called two in the heart one in the head. And that should have happened right when the class is over, they are sweating buckets, nauseated, wretching, passing out.
Your last words should have been .. "sign up here, first class on .... at .... hours.
After that.. its up to them and their wallet and how bad they want have an easier time in basic.

Last edited by Frank E Morel : 08-26-2009 at 11:42 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:09 AM   #3
Barry Cooper

Profile:

I've been in Sales a long time, and I will tell you that the only people who can get away with hard sells are people who sell something, once, to someone from whom they don't expect a referral.

Now, selling is like seduction. As a woman, you have no doubt met guys who tried to go too far too fast, and guys with whom you felt comfortable for some reason. In selling, you want people to be comfortable. Relaxed. To have faith in you. The way you achieve that is to let them proceed at their own pace. Stay positive, stay enthusiastic, be easy to work with, provide a great product, and when you think it's right, just ask them outright if they want to join.

You see all these closing lines like the classic alternate of choice (Well, I guess the only decision left to make is if you will be doing 3/x a week classes, or would you prefer the full daily access?), but in my view the best close is always: "Do you want to buy this product?" or, what I tend to use, "What do you think?". After you ask that question, shut up and pay attention. You can't force a deal, but it's pretty easy to talk past one, especially if you come across as NEEDING to make that deal.

It's hard, starting a business, to not be a bit pushy when you really do NEED that revenue, but in this business you aren't selling something once, you're selling it daily. They can stop buying "you" any time they want.

BTW, that, too, is a BUSINESS advantage of Globo-gyms. They put the screws to you for a one year contract, and they get their money even if you never show up again. This is unethical, but it does make money.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:14 AM   #4
Travis Loest

Profile:

As a former recruiter don't sell the client bases on the "DEPS" (Delayed Entry Program Soldiers) Sell the recruiter, they'll sell the DEPS. The Deps will come and go. If you sell the recruiter and he believes in you he'll lead them to you. I'm not saying this to be sneaky, but as a general rule the recruiter is trained to sell, and when a recruiter believes in something it shows in his attitude to it. Deps want to be Soldiers, they want to be like their recruiter. Good luck, I wish I has someone like you near me when I was doing the dirty deed. As a rule, the Army is looking for one or two minutes of push ups & sit ups, and a one or two mile run. Find out what the USMC is looking for and work on those items, not to exclusivity but make sure they're in there.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:40 AM   #5
Casey Raiford

Profile:

Travis is dead on about selling the idea, and possibly memberships, to the recruiters. If they drink the koolaid your life will get a lot easier.

A selling point for the Marine recruits and recruiters: The USMC Combat Fitness Test:

Quote:
880 Yard Run. Marines will run for 880 yards while wearing boots and camouflage uniform (pants and t-shirt).

Ammo Can Lifts. Marines will lift a 30 pound ammo can from the ground, over their heads as many times as they can in two minutes.

Manuever Under Fire. Marines must move through a 300 yard course, and perform designated tasks, in the time limit authorized. The tasks include:

Moving in a quick scurry for 10 yards, then a high craw for another 15 yards.
Drag a casualty for 10 yards, while zigzagging through several cones. Then lift the casualty and carry him/her at a run for 65 yards.
Carry two 30-pound ammo cans for 75 yards, while zigzagging through a series of cones.
Toss a dummy grenade 22 1/2 yards and land it in a marked target circle.
Perform three push-ups, pick up the two 30-pound cans and sprint to the finish line.
Fitness doesn't get much more functional than that. Here's the admin message covering it, including qualifying scores:

http://www.marines.mil/news/messages...SSPROGRAM.aspx (WFS)
Old 08-27-2009, 03:59 PM   #6
Beth Rypins

Profile:

Gentlemen,

I appreciate the comments and the feedback. Each of you had concise the appropriate feedback, and I will apply your advice.

Come train with us when you're in the Napa Valley, Beth
Old 08-27-2009, 06:47 PM   #7
Ryan Stiefvater

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank E Morel View Post
hijack... Are you crossfit worx?
Hey Frank,

Beth and I are Wine Country CrossFit. Come join us for a WOD!

What is CrossFit Worx? A google search didn't reveal much
Old 08-29-2009, 11:24 PM   #8
Frank E Morel

Profile:

someone is driving around santa rosa with crossfit worx on their suv. I saw the suv parked off 4th street. See it multiple times.

I am wondering if someone is knocking off a crossfit gym. Next time i will take a pic of the tags and get it to coach to look into it.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:57 AM   #9
Sam Ser

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank E Morel View Post
someone is driving around santa rosa with crossfit worx on their suv. I saw the suv parked off 4th street. See it multiple times.

I am wondering if someone is knocking off a crossfit gym. Next time i will take a pic of the tags and get it to coach to look into it.
maybe they're just hyping crossfit because they love it?

[/naivete]
Old 08-30-2009, 09:40 AM   #10
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Tell the Marine DEPS that after a few Frans and Helens, the PFT and CFT are complete jokes. If they're even in average CF shape, they'll be miles ahead of the average recruit in all PT events.

(Note: I'm currently a company commander at MCRD San Diego so I've got a pretty good handle on physical demands of boot camp. To the OP, if your DEPS have any specific questions feel free to PM me.)