CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-05-2009, 06:05 AM   #61
Kevin Quinn

Profile:
Re: Announcing the EXF Rings

just my rings over here in afghanistan today! just in time for 30 muscle-ups. looking forward to tomorrow morning
Old 10-05-2009, 06:15 AM   #62
Kevin Quinn

Profile:

OK quick question on how to set these up. The government network i am on wont let the video come through. can anyone explain? im gonna play around with them a little bit but i would rather follow someones written instructions. thanks!
Old 10-05-2009, 09:03 AM   #63
Tyler Hass

Profile:

Aaron,
To answer your questions:
a) Check. Less than half the weight.
b) Check. Much faster. See the 5 Second Setup Video here: http://www.ringtraining.com/blog/exf-straps-part2.html (wfs)
c) Check. $71.95 with shipping included (assuming Continental US)

Tyler
ringtraining.com (entirely wfs)
Old 10-05-2009, 09:19 AM   #64
Aaron Gainer

Profile:

Thanks Tyler. Looks like I will have another set of rings in my grasp!!!
Old 10-05-2009, 09:20 AM   #65
Tyler Hass

Profile:

Kevin,
I'm sorry the videos won't load on the govt network. I will post written instructions on that page later tonight.
Till then...
The first time you set them up, you will see a loop of webbing sewn onto the end of the strap. Slide the S-Buckle on here. I like to have the loop attached to the center bar of the S.
Next, you thread the other end of the webbing through the slots in the back of the buckle. If you are holding the buckle upside-down, first insert the webbing downwards into the first slot and then up through the second slot. At minimum pull at least a foot of webbing through the slots. You can adjust the length later, too.
From here, the webbing goes through the rings and then through the cam buckle. Be sure to notice the logo on the side of the buckle showing the direction the webbing goes through. It goes in through the back and out the front. Just push down on the lever and feed it through.
At this point, the rings are ready to set up and you won't have to go through this procedure again.

The fast and simple way to set them up is to throw the S-Buckle over the mounting surface and then attach the S-buckle back onto the strap. Now just pull it tight and the S-buckle will lock in place on the ceiling. You can make large adjustments by pulling more webbing through the slots (you have a 17 foot range to work with). Or adjust the webbing using the cam buckle for finer, quicker adjustments.

The other way to set them up is just like any old set of rings. You will only use the cam buckle for adjustments, so you need to pull the S-Buckle all the way in towards the slots. You can remove the S-Buckle now, if you want.
From here, you take the webbing out of the cam buckle and toss it over your mounting surface and then run it back through the cam buckle. It's just like all of the other sets of rings out there. I call this method "legacy mode". It does have one advantage, which is that you don't need to be able to physically reach the mounting surface to take them down. So, if you're at a park, your rings won't get stranded. But, you only get half the adjustment range and it takes longer to set up.

I hope this helps. I will post something similar to the set up page tonight, but with pictures.
Thanks,
Tyler
ringtraining.com (wfs)
Old 10-05-2009, 08:04 PM   #66
Joshua Gutierrez

Profile:

Ok, so I watched the set up video on the website for ever. I'm not as sharp as the rest of you. I'm a Marine and I'm used to having everything Grunt proof. The difficult part about the video was seeing which side the numbers were facing when putting the straps through the cam buckle and the rings. After a few pauses and slow motion play I figured it out. They are awesome! Where do you guys put all the slack from the straps though?? My first set of rings...Yeyah!!
Old 10-06-2009, 12:04 AM   #67
Kevin Quinn

Profile:

Tyler,
Thanks. That description helped me out. i have a feeling i wont totally understand it until i see the video, so im gonna work on trying to get ahold of it.
Thanks again
Kevin
Old 10-06-2009, 04:42 AM   #68
Brandon DeVore

Profile:

Hi Tyler,
Just have to say, my ship pulled in yesterday and waiting for me on the pier was my set of rings!

I used them for the first time yesterday. I have to say for my first set of rings they were very confusing to set up at first. Once I watched the video however i figured it out.

Also, I don't think I received any S buckles in mine. Im not sure however, I may have left those on the boat. I will be going back on Wednesday and will check. Right now, the S clamps I bought from Home Depot is working, but apparently not nearly as well as the ones that came with it.

Good product!

FYI, since I am living in an condo, its hooked to my door frame pull up bar 90% of the time, i plan on building something on my porch in a few days to hook it up there.
But what is annoying to me, and this may be because of my first set of rings is all the slack.

The straps are so long (and I know alot of people like it long) that I have 12-15 ft of straping just laying around. It would be neat to come up with a plastic device or something that stores the extra strap or something? Right now im just using the rubber bands that came with it, and when I adjust I just loosen the band. It works, but it might be an idea for the future?
Old 10-06-2009, 10:35 AM   #69
Tyler Hass

Profile:

Hey Brandon,
We weigh the packages before they are sent out to make sure they are all the same and nothing is missing. But if you didn't receive the S-buckles or misplaced them, let me know once you've checked and I can send some over.

For the extra slack, I just let it hang. I've been doing it this way for years and even if I get tangled up in, which rarely happens, an extra 1/16th of a pound has never stopped me from a muscle-up. Trying to organize the straps is just a waste of time in my opinion. Whenever you adjust the length, you have to take them out, adjust them and then neatly organize them again. One exception is if you are putting them somewhere permanently, then you might as well get them organized.

But if you are a neat freak, you can by velcro things used to tie cables together. You can find them at any electronics or office products store for about $1-2.

Tyler
ringtraining.com
Old 10-06-2009, 06:43 PM   #70
Lara Lewis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon DeVore View Post

The straps are so long (and I know alot of people like it long) that I have 12-15 ft of straping just laying around. It would be neat to come up with a plastic device or something that stores the extra strap or something? Right now im just using the rubber bands that came with it, and when I adjust I just loosen the band. It works, but it might be an idea for the future?
I'm using the rubber bands too, and they work great for this! I just keep enough strap hanging loose so that I don't have to adjust them when changing the length.