CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2009, 07:54 PM   #1
Daniel Sonsini
Member Daniel Sonsini is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Milton  ON Canada
Posts: 180
Can I make a living running a CF Affiliate?

I'm opening up an affiliate in about 2 months. I'm located just outside of Toronto, Canada. I was just curious if I could make a decent living with CF. Just need some advice from other Affiliates.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:31 AM   #2
Sam Ser
Member Sam Ser is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Jerusalem  Israel
Posts: 1,137
Re: Can I make a living running a CF Affiliate?

so, you're 2 months away from opening an affiliate, with all the risk that entails, and you STILL have NO IDEA whether you can make a living at it?

  Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:45 AM   #3
Tom Seryak
Member Tom Seryak is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Dublin  Ohio
Posts: 389
Re: Can I make a living running a CF Affiliate?

define "decent living".
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:53 AM   #4
Daniel Sonsini
Member Daniel Sonsini is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Milton  ON Canada
Posts: 180
Re: Can I make a living running a CF Affiliate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ser View Post
so, you're 2 months away from opening an affiliate, with all the risk that entails, and you STILL have NO IDEA whether you can make a living at it?

Well I work with family now at our fitness studio. I'm fortunate that I on ly pay some rent, not the whole thing. Just want to branch out on my own soon. Maks an ok income now, but expenses will be different when I open an affiliate.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:54 AM   #5
Daniel Sonsini
Member Daniel Sonsini is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Milton  ON Canada
Posts: 180
Re: Can I make a living running a CF Affiliate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Seryak View Post
define "decent living".
Somewhere where I can work full-time and still support myself well. Don't want to be living paycheck to paycheck.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:29 AM   #6
Chris Wyant
Member Chris Wyant is offline
 
Chris Wyant's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Norwalk  CT
Posts: 197
Re: Can I make a living running a CF Affiliate?

Whether or not you can support yourself is based on your ability to train. If you are opening your own affiliate, hopefully it is because you feel you have something to offer that nobody else can. If that is the case - you should be fine.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:07 PM   #7
John D. Burch
Member John D. Burch is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Santa Monica  CA
Posts: 419
Re: Can I make a living running a CF Affiliate?

Are you aware that Andy and myself are coming to Toronto, your city, next month to discuss how to have an amazing business?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:43 AM   #8
Francis Palattao
Member Francis Palattao is offline
 
Francis Palattao's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Milton  ON Canada
Posts: 117
Re: Can I make a living running a CF Affiliate?

What city are you planning to open to... I might check you guys out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Sonsini View Post
Somewhere where I can work full-time and still support myself well. Don't want to be living paycheck to paycheck.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:10 AM   #9
Kris Murphy
Departed Kris Murphy is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hillsboro  OR
Posts: 535
Re: Can I make a living running a CF Affiliate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wyant View Post
Whether or not you can support yourself is based on your ability to train. If you are opening your own affiliate, hopefully it is because you feel you have something to offer that nobody else can. If that is the case - you should be fine.
I disagree completely. Just because a person is a great trainer does not mean they'll "be fine" when it comes to running a business. Training and running a biz are two very different things. People start small businesses every single day because they are good at what they do, and fail miserably in the first year because they have no idea how to run a business.

Being good at your skill is not enough to be successful in the business world.

Sadly most don't realize this so they jump head first into starting a box and quickly find out they were not prepared.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:37 PM   #10
Chris Wyant
Member Chris Wyant is offline
 
Chris Wyant's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Norwalk  CT
Posts: 197
Re: Can I make a living running a CF Affiliate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Murphy View Post
I disagree completely. Just because a person is a great trainer does not mean they'll "be fine" when it comes to running a business. Training and running a biz are two very different things. People start small businesses every single day because they are good at what they do, and fail miserably in the first year because they have no idea how to run a business.

Being good at your skill is not enough to be successful in the business world.

Sadly most don't realize this so they jump head first into starting a box and quickly find out they were not prepared.
I fully agree with you Kris. However, if you can not offer a product that compels people - then it does not matter how well you run a business. It is the equivalent to having the best business managers in the world selling a car that gets a mile to every 5 gallons.

I suppose it is the middle ground between what Kris and I are saying - if you can run a business or have someone that can help you manage well - in addition to offering a great product - then you should be fine.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Living in Kenya Spencer Durland Nutrition 16 06-12-2008 04:45 AM
Living in a tent for 2 and 1/2 months Ian Jimenez Workout of the Day 7 04-29-2008 03:33 PM
Would this make a difference in my running? Johan Woger Equipment 16 08-17-2007 09:52 PM
Living Fuel???? Keith Wittenstein Nutrition 0 12-14-2004 10:46 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.