CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:38 AM   #1
Tish Traster

Profile:
Question: Cleaning and Maintaining Oly Bars

I apologize if this been addressed in an earlier thread. I searched the forums and didn't see anything specific.

Any advice for regular cleaning and maintainence of oly bars? Having no heat or air, my bars are open to outside air....here in Florida. Any advice on cleaning and maintaining bars would be greatly appreciated. Naturally I check the sleeves and bearings regularly for safety reasons, but I'm having trouble keeping the actual bar and knurling clean or clean looking. All advice and suggestions appreciated.

Tish
Old 08-25-2009, 12:56 PM   #2
Andrew Vincent

Profile:
Re: Question: Cleaning and Maintaining Oly Bars

Heavy duty brush to get out old sweat/chalk cake.

Go to a wire brush if the natural/synthetic brush fails. Test a small area first to make sure the wire brush doesn't take of the Bar's plating/coating (if any) exposing it to rust.

I like to WD-40 the bearings of my bar where the 2" ends swivel on the bar.

There might be an "off the shelf" bearing grease that is recommended, but I don't know it.

CLR (Calcium Lime Rust) will get rid of any rust on the bar or your steel plates/dumbbells. It will re-rust if not painted or wiped with WD-40.

Make sure any bolts, set screws, or pins are tight and in the right place. Looseness causes vibration and leads to more looseness/vibration and then eventual failure.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:08 AM   #3
Tish Traster

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Vincent View Post
Heavy duty brush to get out old sweat/chalk cake.

Go to a wire brush if the natural/synthetic brush fails. Test a small area first to make sure the wire brush doesn't take of the Bar's plating/coating (if any) exposing it to rust.

I like to WD-40 the bearings of my bar where the 2" ends swivel on the bar.

There might be an "off the shelf" bearing grease that is recommended, but I don't know it.

CLR (Calcium Lime Rust) will get rid of any rust on the bar or your steel plates/dumbbells. It will re-rust if not painted or wiped with WD-40.

Make sure any bolts, set screws, or pins are tight and in the right place. Looseness causes vibration and leads to more looseness/vibration and then eventual failure.
Andrew,

Thanks so much!
Old 09-01-2009, 09:30 AM   #4
Jeff Barnett

Profile:

I have nothing to add to Andrew's advice, but I would like to point out that WD-40 works best as a penetrating oil and solvent. It is not a very good lubricant. It works for a while, but will require constant re-application.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:27 PM   #5
Craig Massey

Profile:

See also this thread for Rogue's advice as it applies to their bars http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=50697 (wfs)