CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-15-2009, 06:41 AM   #1
Gregory Youngs

Profile:
Adapting CrossFit to my goals

I have followed the CrossFit main page and forums for quite sometime, but am rather ashamed to say that I haven't been able to live by the WOD's as I have wanted to. I just had a quick question to throw out there.

I am 22 years old, 5'8", and 190lbs. I haven't had my body fat tested, but I am going to guess it's probably somewhere in the range of 18-23%.I have a fairly muscular build, and lift relatively heavy for most of my lifts, but still have a bit of a gut.

Basically my fitness goals at this point are to, maintain the muscle mass I currently have, drop my body fat to under 10%, and hopefully in the process see some gains in my lifts.

I eat a relatively healthy diet, with a few off days here and there, but plan on taking on the Paleo very soon.

Finally getting to my question.... will the main page WOD be sufficient in attaining my goals? Or do I need to supplement it with additional cardio? Or maybe some additional strength work.. maybe the crossfit football program?

I'd like to tone up the abs, but I don't want to focus so much on cardio that my BP and squats end up down the drain.

Thanks guys.. I'm trying to figure this one out on my own, but CrossFit is a big world with a ton of know how.. Any response would be appreciated.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:05 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Adapting CrossFit to my goals

Don't do any extra work right now.

If you need to scale down the mainpage workout then do it.

Nutrition is the biggest thing though. Good to see you're going Paleo
Old 08-15-2009, 07:14 PM   #3
Zach Yarges

Profile:

I soon after I stopped eating sugar and bread my gut started going away. I also do not suffer from migraines anymore.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:42 PM   #4
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:

No extra work or change in programming is necessary, the question is primarily one of food. CF + Paleo could just do it. If you are the type who's willing to weigh and measure food, a mix of Paleo and the Zone diet could add the accuracy necessary to set an appropriate caloric deficit. You can check out the nutrition link on the main page (WFS) and the free Crossfit Journal #21 (WFS download). Just another option to consider.