CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-07-2009, 03:25 PM   #1
Kenny Hearrell

Profile:
The "9000" workout

Looking for opinions on this, as I was reading on a affiliates website and it got my mind to pondering...

The affiliate is doing a "3000" workout in addition to their WOD. The 3000 consists of 100 sit ups a day, for 30 days. I am considering giving this a try for a month, in addition to the main sites WOD which I have been following since mid-June.

But I was thinking, what if you did the sit-ups, plus pull-ups and push-ups- all 100 a day each for 30 days. Hence the 9000 workout? Would doing this in addition to a WOD be more detrimental to your health and fitness? Would you see benefits? Would you just quit after 4 days?? I definitely do not want to do anything that is going to cause injury, or set back the progress that I have made, and since I am by far no means a expert in this type of thing, I was looking for some input.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:36 PM   #2
Jacob Israel Briskin

Profile:
Re: The "9000" workout

100 pullups and pushups a day for 30 days? Shenanigans!

I guess I just fail to see the point of that kind of volume. You'd burn out and stop making any kind of progress pretty quickly.

Last edited by Jacob Israel Briskin : 08-07-2009 at 03:39 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:16 PM   #3
Steven Matheson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Israel Briskin View Post
100 pullups and pushups a day for 30 days? Shenanigans!
^^^THIS!!!!^^^^
Old 08-07-2009, 04:19 PM   #4
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

You don't get fitter from training, you get fitter from recovering from training.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:55 PM   #5
Colin McLafferty

Profile:

I have some experience with this. I added lots of calisthenics to SEALFit, an already calisthenics intensive program.

In a 3 on 1 off schedule, I warmed up with 4x20 slow push ups, 4x40 slow sit ups, and 4x8 pull ups. Even this much extra calisthenics work made a marked difference in my WOD performance. Not to mention the extra time it took to complete the extra calisthenics work.

Unless you want to do it as a mental test, I don't think pursuing the 9000 workout has many benefits. Doing even that amount of extra calisthenics is not enjoyable and is definitely time consuming.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:56 AM   #6
Christopher E Bloom

Profile:

I think something like this could work:

25 Pullups,
50 Pushups,
75 Situps.

It would take less of a toll than the 9000 workout. It would total 4500 reps for the month. Not as cool of a name as the 9000, sorry.

I believe that many affiliate already incorporate pullups/pushups/situps into their warmup. Just ensure you are doing this at "Practice intensity" rather than going for time. Otherwise, you may as well run a 1/4 mile before and after and call it mini murph.

Rather than setting a goal of doing it every day for a month, incorporate it untill you feel it is too much and scale it back.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:07 AM   #7
John C Corona

Profile:

I think it would be 'too much'. It just gets boring and the body/mind starts to hate it.

I did the 100 pullup challenge and thought I'd throw in pushups (along w/ daily wods). This is where you add 1-rep daily, so the last 30 days I went from 70 to 100 reps. I noticed great gains in size and strength within the first 50 days of the challenge. The last 50 days I did not notice any significant difference (just sore muscles, stiff neck, and the burden). This was before I kip'd correctly and was muscling the pull-ups. If anything, the pushups are doable, even the pullups, but in my opinion, not worth it.

I concluded that the CF warmup (3 sets of 10-15) every day just made so much sense, without over training the body.

*edit* - I felt bad after posting cuz I would hate to deter someone from trying something just beastly. People run marathons, but I won't tell em not to.

Last edited by John C Corona : 08-10-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:42 PM   #8
Cormac O'Connor

Profile:

It never ceases to amaze me when folks buy into the Crossfit concepts enough to do the WOD every day, but then turn around and do things which are diametrically opposed to those concepts.

Doing the same exercises every day, with no rest days? How is that compatible with 'constantly varied' or '3 on, 1 off'? And how could you achieve the requisite intensity on the WODs during the latter stages of something like this?

I'm not even commenting on whether this program is a good idea or not; just pointing out that it's incompatible with the Crossfit concepts. As a straight-up challenge, sure, why not. All challenges are inherently stupid, but sometimes the stupider they are, the more fun the are
Old 08-12-2009, 08:50 PM   #9
Steven Low

Profile:

It's easy to throw stuff together to make you tired, but it takes good programming to make good improvements.

I hope we're all here to make improvements... even if it is aesthetics or just weight loss or whatever else you can think of.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:05 PM   #10
Mike Mallory

Profile:

personally, I think the 3000 situps alone sounds idiotic.

One of the reasons why crossfit is such good programming is becuase you won't suffer from pattern overload.

doing 3000 situps in a month is a good way to throw a wrench into the postural wheels. hunchbacks are sexy though right?