CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-21-2005, 10:54 AM   #1
Mike Ryan

Profile:
Hi all,

Over the weekend I dumped the bar a few times while trying to do the HSC. My floor and my wife's nerves can't take that too often so I think that I need some help. I think I have a good pull and can do power cleans with a good deal more weight than I can with the squat variety. I can also easily squat the kind of weight I am trying to clean. What would you recommend for building this skill?

Thanks, Mike.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:56 AM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Bumper plates.

Also, practice doing the squat versions by starting from the high hang position with just the bar. Concentrate more on getting under the bar than moving the bar up. From the high hang position - hips, knees, and ankles extended, shoulders shrugged - the bar only has to move 4" up, but your body has to move several feet down. Speed, speed, and more speed.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:15 AM   #3
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Here's a quick list of suggestions:

Use a broomstick, then an empty bar. Do lots of warmups with no or very little weight.

3x slow with the bar practicing the form then 1x fast and explosive.

Do some tabata squats and learn to squat really fast (with exceptional form, obviously!).

Do more front squats.

Do a power clean then a front squat then a squat clean.

Do lots of small sets: triples, doubles and singles.

I think it's muscle memory more than anything. It's training your body to pull itself into the low front squat position with certainty and stability. I find the more I warm up with a broomstick the more comfortable I feel with weight on the bar.

Also training with the bar teaches you to relax. Everything works better when you are relaxed.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:18 AM   #4
Scott Arnold

Profile:
Ditto what Lincoln and Keith said. Chris Muscarella posted a link in another thread "O-lifts: the scoop" that speaks to the importance of eliminating unnecessary tension. The link opens to an article in the Russian Weightlifting Library (Sportivny Press) called "Essential Components of Weightlifting Technique". There's 3 parts and they're lengthy but worth reading. In a nutshell, think of a sprinter preparing to explode out the blocks. Relaxation is the key to speed. Get the bar moving as quickly as possible. Don't try to "think" through all the stages of the lift, just jump and land. When I find myself getting too "psyched up" for a lift, I have to stop and shake it off. I relax and the bar just seems to pop right up and I can land in the squat position. Heres's the link: http://www.dynamic-eleiko.com/sporti...ticles011.html
Old 02-25-2005, 03:26 PM   #5
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Just a few more suggestions, better late than never:

Squat cleans: In addition to what lincoln posted, be sure you are racking the bar high on your clavicle, elbows high. Practice squat cleans with lighter weights and get your body used the idea of catching the weight. As the weight increases, the depth at which you have to 'catch' the bar is lower, so 'be quick under the bar.'

Snatch: practice drop snatches. Stand with the bar behind the neck on your shoulders with a snatch grip. The poundages here are pretty light relative to your snatch (around 60%.) Quickly drop into a squat position at the same time push the bar into a lockout postition. With lighter weights you should be able to do this with NO knee bend at the start. As it gets heavier it's ok to hunch it up before dropping under. These and belt snatches will increase your confidence in dropping under the bar.

Have fun!
Old 02-25-2005, 04:20 PM   #6
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Hey Veronica,
Welcome aboard! What are belt snatches?
Thanks,
Old 02-25-2005, 06:18 PM   #7
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Hi Lynne, thanks for the welcome.

To perform belt snatches, first strap on a weightbelt. Using the bar or light weight, support the bar on the belt. You should be standing almost erect with the knees only slightly bent, with just a slight lean forward (the position you should be in just as you transition into the second pull) Now working quickly, jump and shrug the bar up and drop down into a squat, locking out your arms overhead.

I hope this gives a clear enough picture.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:02 AM   #8
Mike Ryan

Profile:
Thanks, Veronica and welcome. I'll give these things a try and let you know how they work for me.

Mike.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:54 AM   #9
John Phipps

Profile:
Veronica, I really liked your instructions "quickly, jump and shrug the bar up and drop down into a squat, locking out your arms overhead". You make it sound so easy.

I have done traditional weight lifting for years and the jumping with the bar and then diving underneath is scary and thrilling. Dropping the bar or dumping the weights was always forbidden. But now I just purchased a new bar and rubber bumper plates so I can do just that in my garage. They don't allow Olympic lifting in the YMCA. It is like a whole new world. Thanks for posting.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:17 AM   #10
Mike Ryan

Profile:
I just noticed that I failed to post message that I had composed thanking everyone else for their input.:blush: Sorry about that. Bumpers are definitely next on the list. Are the BFS bumpers adequate? If so, could I get A pair of say 45lbs and add steel weight after that without damaging the bumper if I drop it? My intent would be to get a whole set of bumpers, but unless there is a great savings buying the set, I might buy them a pair at a time.

Thanks again,

Mike.