CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-28-2005, 05:40 PM   #1
Jeffrey Marshburn

Profile:  
I just started CrossFit with the WOD on 19 February and I have been able to stay on the 3/1 since. On today's WOD I could not even do one single pull-up due to what feels like muscle fatigue. My regular set of pull-ups is 10-12 dead-hangs. This has been getting progressively worse since the WOD on 20 Feb (Tabata Something Else) really put a smokin' on me and I haven't really recovered (I think). My question is... should I continue to train the muscle group? Like today I substituted lat pull-downs (with a whopping 60lbs - all I could manage)for pull-ups. Or should I lay completely off the whole pull-up muscle group until I get nearly back to normal. My concern is that now that I have gotten into the rhythm of doing the WOD's I don't want to break that. I absolutely love CrossFit and only wish that up here in Alaska there were working this. Someone please!! :-) I appreciate any help that anyone could give me here!
Old 02-28-2005, 06:11 PM   #2
Rick Burgess

Profile:
Jeffrey,
Did you injure yourself or do you just feel tired? If it's injury, you should lay off it for a while. If it's fatigue, you might try some massage to loosen the muscles up and work out the tight spots. If the rest of you feels fine, I would stay in the WOD groove and modify as you need to.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:28 PM   #3
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Jeffrey,

Take an extra rest day or modify the wod or scale it back. If you look at http://crossfit.com/cf-info/start-how.html you will see the following paragraph:

"In any case it must be understood that the CrossFit workouts are extremely demanding and will tax the capacities of even the world's best athletes. You would be well advised to take on the WOD carefully, cautiously, and work first towards completing the workouts comfortably and consistently before "throwing" yourself at them 100%. The best results have come for those who've "gone through the motions" of the WOD by reducing recommended loads, reps, and sets while not endeavoring towards impressive times for a month before turning up the heat. We counsel you to establish consistency with the WOD before maximizing intensity."
Old 02-28-2005, 08:34 PM   #4
Michael Keller

Profile:
Jeffrey, Beth's right. Don't try to do too much, to quickly. Modify the workout to train different areas until your body recovers.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:46 AM   #5
Michael Street

Profile:
Thanks for sharing your experience – welcome to a top-level community of supportive individuals. We all wish you great success.

Keep in mind that our programming is designed to challenge (if not crush) the fittest men on earth. Proceed with caution.
One of the common occurring themes we see (aside for people not ramping up to the stimulus properly) is poor or un-calculated diet. AYITZ (Are you in the Zone?)

Ask yourself – “are my inputs (diet/sleep) supporting my desired output (exercise) levels?”

I offer you this as an example.

Case Study - Adolescent Malnu:
Malnu was crying to the community about not having desired outputs during his WOD. After exhaustive investigation (and time investment) on part of many individuals, it boiled down to crappy diet.
Basically Malnu was living off wonder bread, tea and pixie sticks, expecting to put out like an elite level athlete – I know it sounds funny, but it is true. What do you expect from a poor guided, misinformed teenager – right? Inputs not matching outputs…

Suggestion - read, even post to the nutrition forum - get your diet dialed in. Throttle the intensity level for a few weeks. Once you feel that you can confidently execute during the WOD. Crank up the intensity a notch – reach threshold (play with it, love it), rinse and repeat.

Keep us posted!
Old 03-01-2005, 03:19 AM   #6
Graham Hayes

Profile:
If ever there was a legendary figure who was CrossFit...Pai Mei is it!

You crashed and burned buddy! I did that too when I started. The link Beth posted is the "secret to success" that no one reads. I read it properly, 4 months after starting and crashing...then I started again at low low volume. It's took me from June 04 - Jan 05 to be doing this as prescribed. Don't worry about not getting as great a stimulus as everyone, at the pace you can move from a diluted WOD you would be getting a far better workout than plugging away for ages at the prescribed workouts.

It's my experience and I'm certain that of many others that this approach will develop the greatest fitness gains and adaptions.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:45 AM   #7
Jeffrey Marshburn

Profile:  
Thanks all.

Diet? I am near the Zone... getting there day by day. This has required a fundamental chang in the way I eat, while my family continues to plug away at 10,000 bad carbs a day (I am working on the rest of them daily).

Intensity? Yeah, I probably have not been scaling nearly enough, still trying to fight the whole "ego" thing. So many years in ego intensive jobs (Special Forces, LAPD, etc...) it is tough to put behind and just do the right thing. As far as intensity goes, I am on my back to Iraq and/or Afghanistan this summer and I just want to get the most out of everything I do between now and then.

I NEED TO TAKE A MORE LONG TERM APPROACH AND VIEW.

Again, thanks to everyone in the CrossFit world for the great system and community that this is.

Jeff
Old 03-01-2005, 11:20 AM   #8
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Jeffrey

A couple more ideas for you.

If your arms/lats are totally fried from pullups, consider looking through the archives for a more leg or ab oriented WOD and substituting it. I think each WOD is a gem so occassionally mixing up the order to suit you is fine.

Although there is a lot to be said for sticking to the program as written, you will find smart subsititutions and personalization will help you avoid burn out.

Also keep reading the comments and boards for sub ideas and learning how to scale down the workouts while still keeping them intense.

Best of luck.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:44 PM   #9
Mike Ryan

Profile:
Jeffrey,

I started doing the WOD at the beginning of January. There are thing that I can do and things that I can't (yet). I try to stick with the exercises as Rx'd, but I know myself well enough to know what I have to scale. With this, I have been able to do almost every WOD since I started. After the initial soreness wore off, I began pushing myself as hard as I could, particularly on strength excercises. Even where I scale things, pull-ups for example (I use a green jump stretch band), I go as hard as I can. Another example, knees to elbows. Not a chance! I sub sit ups and leg raises. I try to push my limits as often as I can, but I balance that with the benefits of doing the WOD consistently 3 on 1 off.

The other thing to consider is nutrition. Make sure you are getting the proper amount of each macronutrient at each meal and eating the correct number of meals. I am a zone guy (as are many others on this board) and I believe it works. I rarely get tired anymore and I recover well from most workouts. This may be something you want to consider. Keep at it. It's worth the effort.

Mike.