CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-19-2009, 12:04 PM   #1
Ahmad Muhammad

Profile:
difference between Rogue bar and Men's 20KG - 28.5MM Training Bar

What are the differences between these bars?
http://www.roguefitness.com/store/rogue_bar.php
http://www.roguefitness.com/store/pendlaybars.php

Is there a benefit of the Rogue bar over the Training bar?

Last edited by Ahmad Muhammad : 07-19-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:13 AM   #2
Sean Kufel

Profile:
Re: difference between Rogue bar and Men's 20KG - 28.5MM Training Bar

Ahmad,

When choosing my equipment, I initially chose the Pendlay Econ bar. Rogue's customer service advised me as follows:

"I would also suggest upgrading the Men's econo bar to the Rogue bar. The Rogue bar utilizes a higher tensile strength steel and will not end up bent like the econ bar."

I ended up buying the Rogue bar and am very happy with it. The knurling and finish feel great and it's held up quite well to both heavy loading and to being dropped.

I hope that helps.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:20 AM   #3
William Henniger

Profile:

Ahmad,

1) The 28.5MM Training Bar has a multi-purpose knurl and olympic knurl mark - It is a solid piece of steel, much better than the Econ version that we do not advertise on our site anymore. We only sell the Econ in the SoCal sets for those that insist on that bar.

The Men's Econ bar was great when CrossFit started and the working weight was around 75-95lbs but things have evolved. Now Powerlifting and Olympic lifting are staples in most everyone's training and that bar is not as strong as the 28.5MM Training bar.

2) The Rogue bar is our work horse, dual knurling marks. We have replaced 2 of thousands, if you bend it we replace it. All bars can be bent if subjected to a real bad slam into a power rack, we just know that 99.9% of them are going to stay straight. The Rogue bar is on every USMC base in the world, we were more than confident that this was the right bar to send them.

I hope that answered your questions, if not shoot me an email: bill@roguefitness.com

We were holding a Level 1 cert this weekend, sorry I didn't give my input sooner. If any of you are ever in Columbus, OH we carry the majority of our bars in stock for you to test out! You can load them up and throw them off the M35 Deuce is you would like!

Thanks,

Bill
Old 07-20-2009, 09:39 AM   #4
Ahmad Muhammad

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Henniger View Post
Ahmad,

1) The 28.5MM Training Bar has a multi-purpose knurl and olympic knurl mark - It is a solid piece of steel, much better than the Econ version that we do not advertise on our site anymore. We only sell the Econ in the SoCal sets for those that insist on that bar.

The Men's Econ bar was great when CrossFit started and the working weight was around 75-95lbs but things have evolved. Now Powerlifting and Olympic lifting are staples in most everyone's training and that bar is not as strong as the 28.5MM Training bar.

2) The Rogue bar is our work horse, dual knurling marks. We have replaced 2 of thousands, if you bend it we replace it. All bars can be bent if subjected to a real bad slam into a power rack, we just know that 99.9% of them are going to stay straight. The Rogue bar is on every USMC base in the world, we were more than confident that this was the right bar to send them.

I hope that answered your questions, if not shoot me an email: bill@roguefitness.com

We were holding a Level 1 cert this weekend, sorry I didn't give my input sooner. If any of you are ever in Columbus, OH we carry the majority of our bars in stock for you to test out! You can load them up and throw them off the M35 Deuce is you would like!

Thanks,

Bill
Thanks Bill that does pretty much answer my question. One last question does the 28.5MM Training Bar also have warranty against bending\breaking?
Old 07-20-2009, 10:20 AM   #5
William Henniger

Profile:

The 28.5MM Bar is guaranteed for one year vs the Rogue is for life.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 07-20-2009, 02:32 PM   #6
Ahmad Muhammad

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Henniger View Post
The 28.5MM Bar is guaranteed for one year vs the Rogue is for life.

Thanks,

Bill
Thanks that's what I needed to know, just placed order for the Rogue bar.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:59 PM   #7
William Henniger

Profile:

The bar and bumpers will go out tomorrow!
Old 07-24-2009, 11:09 PM   #8
Christian Salas

Profile:

Wow I feel like a dupe buying the Pendlay Econ bar last year. It's still going strong though. I thought the "crossfit" bar was the bottom of the line. So the economy bar is only meant for 75-95 lb. loads?
Old 07-25-2009, 07:02 AM   #9
William Henniger

Profile:

Christian,

When I started CrossFit Columbus my first two bars were Pendlay Econ bars. I still have them, there is some sentimental value there as well. Much has changed since those days but the need for the best value on a bar has not!

The Econ was designed for much heavier loads than 75-95 however the steel is not the same tensile strength as the HD or Rogue. When the loads are low the issue never rears its head. The Econ tends to bend more often when dropped in a rack and/or put under heavy dynamic load. Any bar can bend if stressed the right way, however that can be offset by the following:

1) Tensile Strength

2) Yield Strength

3) Diameter

The components of the steel will drive the first two.

Once everyone started cranking out heavy clean and jerks and/or deadlifts the bar has had some issues. The rate at which there has been issue is around 1/500 bars out there so there is a good chance you won't have any problem. I wanted a bar that was closer to 1/10000.

In order to move to a better bar all together we have just put out a new bar called the Burner bar that is approx 35K PSI higher in tensile strength. That bar is going to be the same price. In order to do that I had to pull the zinc coating off of it. The steel is very expensive and that is the most important part.

If I didn't answer your questions about the steel or the bar, please hit me up again and I will do my best to answer.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 07-25-2009, 07:50 PM   #10
Christian Salas

Profile:

Thanks Bill. Honestly the most I'll be putting over my head, then dropping it, will be maybe 250 lbs. I assume the Econ. Bar is good for that sort of load, in a home gym environment? I was just under the impression, from Glenn and his site, and threads on this forum, that the Econ. bar was good for affiliate use at say 250 lb. weight, or maybe say 300 lb. in a home gym (lighter usage) environment. Does that sound about right? I was under the impression the Econ. bar was a pretty high quality bar, at least for my (light) needs.