CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-04-2009, 09:07 PM   #1
Preston Newman

Profile:
overhead squat and snatch

I have trouble with flexibility and technique with the overhead squat and snatch. It feels like my flexibility is limitting me from placing the bar far enough behine my head and it pushes me forward at the bottom of the squat. I have always had problems with flexibility of my arms. Has anyone else had this problem or any advice on how to increase my felxibility and technique for those two lifts. Any advice would be great. Thanks!
Old 06-04-2009, 09:58 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: overhead squat and snatch

Searching for those two would give you like 20+ threads on each (which I strongly advise you do next time).

But to get you started...

1. stretch hamstrings and calves
2. foam roll thoracic spine, and focus on putting it in extension like the lumbar vertebrae
3. make sure lumbar spine is in correct lordic arch
4. stretch lats and chest
5. do some band dislocates and focus on retracting and elevating the scapula
Old 06-04-2009, 11:47 PM   #3
Adam Auerbach

Profile:
Re: overhead squat and snatch

Tight shoulders and non hyperextensive elbows can make the overhead squat somewhat problematic. Although you can't do anything about your joint range of motion, you can work on your scapular retraction to assist you with keeping your arms as locked out or as straight as possible. It is very important to keep your arms locked out at all cost or else you lose the ability to drive out of the bottom position in balance without the weight wanting to collapse forward.

To work on your scapular retraction, place a small rubber ball on the ground and lay down with your upper back on the ball so your shoulder blades are cradling the ball. Place a couple of lightweight dumbbells say 2-3 lbs in your hands to counteract the tendency for your hands to lift off the floor. With your knuckles facing the floor, palms facing upward do snow angel movements for high repetitions, keeping the backside of your hand brushing the floor as you make your semicircular motion.

Also, when you set up for the overhead squat make sure you drive the barbell to arms length and keeping your upper back muscles and triceps tight so your arms do not bend. You might also experiment with your grip width. A wider grip will make the lockout easier, but the trade-off is more stress on the wrists and requires more strength to hold the position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston Newman View Post
I have trouble with flexibility and technique with the overhead squat and snatch. It feels like my flexibility is limitting me from placing the bar far enough behine my head and it pushes me forward at the bottom of the squat. I have always had problems with flexibility of my arms. Has anyone else had this problem or any advice on how to increase my felxibility and technique for those two lifts. Any advice would be great. Thanks!