CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-20-2009, 07:19 PM   #1
Jim Lorenz

Profile:
USDA 2010 Dietary Guidelines in Development

Here is a starting point for exploring the government's take on how Americans should be eating:

http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/dietaryguidelines.htm

Hum! At least their food pyramid has lost the horizontal stripes w/ grain on the bottom.

Note also that you can post comments here for consideration by the committee that is developing the 2010 version of the guidelines

I noticed one comment with a Paleo title, and another comment in support of high nutrition low calorie diets.

The government is still under heavy influence from big-agriculture (ie. the corn, grain and dairy industries),

CrossFit as an organization may want to consider posting and/or some other way of participation in the 2010 Dietary Guideline process. ??

Coach? Rob?
Old 04-20-2009, 07:23 PM   #2
Charles Bennington

Profile:
Re: USDA 2010 Dietary Guidelines in Development

Not a fight worth taking on. People need to be responsible and educate themselves on proper nutrition. If people don't care enough to find out what they should be eating, what makes you think they will eat properly even when told?
Old 04-20-2009, 08:31 PM   #3
Jim Lorenz

Profile:

I agree with you that people have to take personal responsibility for their nutrition, and need to do their own research. Absolutely brother.

But on the other hand though, many people look to the government for their information, and/or justify their advice and opinions based on government recommendations and publications.

And finally - with the socialization of health care on the horizon - I'm a little bit p*ss*d off that my tax dollars are going to be paying for drugs and medical procedures for overweight inactive people with complications from Syndrome X.

And our country suffers because our government tells us to stuff face with simple carbs and then take pills when we get high cholesterol, diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease. And no man is an island. My well being is tied to the well being of the collective.

So I do care about this as we all should. Our country is 66% SICK - 66% overweight. An Alzheimer and type II diabetes pandemic waiting to happen. And the healthy among us will have to work harder to support all these sick people.

It doesn't have to be a fight. The updating of the USDA guidelines is a bureaucratic government process. And if you know about bureaucratic processes - you just have to accept that change happens slowly over time.

So armed with that knowledge that it will take time, you set your expectations appropriately, participate as one voice among many, keep participating year after year, backup the suggestions with credible research, and believe that change can happen.

We once were a great country and we can be great again. But it isn't going to happen if we don't contribute to the common good.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:25 PM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

The site Jim linked is worth a visit, if only to see how broken the dietary guideline process is. The minutes of the last meeting read like a directory of the processed food industry.

However, the last meeting also includes a fair number of comments from private citizens, doctors, and others with no obvious commercial agenda. Average citizens may not get into the smoke-filled room, but they do at least get to chip away at the edifice.

Katherine
Old 04-20-2009, 10:38 PM   #5
Harley Jennings

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lorenz View Post
We once were a great country and we can be great again. But it isn't going to happen if we don't contribute to the common good.
Jim,

We are currently a great country and always will be. Just a bit overweight and sleep deprived at the moment.

Big government will always back its heavy hitters in the nutrition department when it is directly connected to its pocket book. This will change one day far from now when the right people acknowledge that processed foods and chemicals like HFCS are killing the U.S. slowly.

Got to keep faith.
M/27/5'10''/200lbs/13%BF BS 365#/ SP 205#/ DL 425#/ BP 345#/ PC 235#/ FS 265#/ CJ 225#/ THR 225#/ Liz 6:11/ Murph 39:00My Log
Old 04-20-2009, 11:03 PM   #6
Jim Lorenz

Profile:

Hey Harley - no offense meant and thanks for your service. There is a lot that is right with the US that is for sure and I didn't mean to start a political debate. Props on the comment on processed foods and HFCS.

And Katherine - thanks. "chip away at the edifice" is a good way to put it.

Last edited by Jim Lorenz : 04-20-2009 at 11:08 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:05 PM   #7
Harley Jennings

Profile:

Right on man
M/27/5'10''/200lbs/13%BF BS 365#/ SP 205#/ DL 425#/ BP 345#/ PC 235#/ FS 265#/ CJ 225#/ THR 225#/ Liz 6:11/ Murph 39:00My Log
Old 04-21-2009, 03:57 AM   #8
Tom Jones Jr

Profile:

The guidlines here in england have 90g of sugar as our reccomended daily allowance. I feel sorry for those who believe this but can you blame them?
Old 04-21-2009, 08:02 PM   #9
Charles Bennington

Profile:

Jim, I honestly hadn't though about it from the perspective of my tax dollars getting thrown at the ridiculous people that eat according to USDA Certified BS. Thanks for giving me a different perspective.

Do you really think that it would make much of a difference? I don't think there would be much that would. What is cheap, readily available, and tasty? ****ty food. The average person is looking for cheap convenience.

Look at how much work has been done to get the message out about the dangers of smoking? There is lots of conflicting advice about nutrition, I can see how it could be confusing. Smoking is cut and dry, information is plenty and everywhere...Yet millions of people smoke daily.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:18 AM   #10
Sydney Everhart

Profile:
Smile Re: USDA 2010 Dietary Guidelines in Development

It seems like the big agricultural businesses would have more to gain from partnering with fast food joints like McDonalds than they would by partnering with the USDA and their food pyramid. How many people actually pay attention to the food pyramid anyway? They just eat fast, easy, convenient, processed foods... which include mostly foods that are to be limited according to the food pyramid.

Personally, I prefer the Mayo Clinic's healthy weight pyramid instead, which has exercise right in the middle of the pyramid and fruits/veggies as the base.

Good to see there's interest in public health and politics here.