CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-17-2004, 04:21 PM   #1
Andrew Cattermole

Profile:
Hello People
I read the link with a description on the comments but this seems to be Power Snatch.
Could someone give me a clear description of Squat Snatch or any vid links?
A gent I train with felt Squat snatch is from front squat,I was under the impression its from Back squat?
Thanks
Old 05-17-2004, 06:03 PM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Not quite, in either case.

A snatch is taking the barbell from the floor and lifting it overhead in one motion. In the power snatch, the lifter catches the barbell with the knees slightly bent and then finishes standing. In the squat snatch, the lifter receives the bar overhead in the full squat position and then stands.

Squat snatch video:
http://www.accottawa.com/2002/images/avi/OSS96229.AVI
Old 05-17-2004, 06:14 PM   #3
Mike Minium

Profile:
Lincoln's link is awesome.

Here's another link, though, if you like to see the individual components of the squat snatch:

http://www.slidetour.com/sample1/dis...ch/snatch.html

Hope this helps,

Mike
Old 05-18-2004, 02:09 AM   #4
Andrew Cattermole

Profile:
Cheer Guys,great links
So Squat Snatch is a proper Snatch(as I had been shown),I thought it was a break down of snatch?
Apart from Overhead Squat any other good excerises for improving Snatch?I find it the hardest to get right even with a empty bar.
Old 05-18-2004, 04:50 AM   #5
Matt Toupalik

Profile:
Drop snatches(I think they are also known as quick drops?) may be valuable in learning to get into the squat position.I'm working on them now and they seem to help a bit.
Old 05-18-2004, 05:30 AM   #6
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
CF seems to work a progression in the WOD. If you look carefully you will see prep work leading up to the squat snatch (this is my opinion, I may be wrong!). I believe this is one of the reasons to follow the WOD as written in order, elegant would be a word to describe the programing,
Old 05-18-2004, 05:35 AM   #7
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Keep in mind too that Squat Snatches with heavy weights are arguably one of the most athletic feats in sports. It still seems miraculous to me that people can pull up 300-400+ pounds and have it land in exactly the right spot, and then stand up with it. If you're a little to far forward or too far back, the whole thing falls, so it has to be just right.

I think Sunday's WOD is a beautiful practice session for the Squat Snatch.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:20 AM   #8
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
While were on the subject, I have a question regarding the heels in this movement. I think in the WCC videos they endorse remaining on the heel throughout the entire movement, arguing that if the lifter rises on his toes and/or jumps he is effectively lifting his own bodyweight in addition to what's already on the bar. I was under the impression that the heels-down was the version taught at Crossfit. However, in today's photo and in the slideshow example, both Matt Mast's and David Ley's heels rise off the ground. Has there been a change in what is generally considered optimal technique (and, if so, why?) or was my initial assumption wrong?

Thanks for any help,

Ryan
Old 05-18-2004, 08:48 AM   #9
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Matt,
Can you describe the quick drop movement?
Thanks,
Old 05-18-2004, 08:52 AM   #10
Dan John

Profile:

I just left a message with Gregg discussing this...you are looking at the "REACTION," not the Action.

Heels...heels...heels. But, when you hit it, the action of the "BOW," the *** back and chin forward and the biomechanical advantages, combined with the "Arrow," the explosive nature of the hips, legs, lower back, following the upper body strike, snap you off the ground.

It is the same as watching American football. Most people watch the Running Back dance in the endzone, but without the lineman opening the hole...no dance.

So, yes, you will end up on your toes, but don't worry about it, your body will figure it out. In all explosive sports (Highland Games, throwing, O lifting) to the casual observer, it is these moments that we focus on: the great extension or finish. But, they are built by forces gathered before...in the discus, only 7% of horizonatal forces (what really makes the discus fly) are made in the throwing position...93% come from the turn (sure, you can throw from a stand far, but you throw much farther from a turn). To the untrained eye, you look at the throwing position...but the throw is made before that...in the same way, the O lifts are "done" when you hit the toes...you are now using the traps to pull under the bar.