CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-02-2003, 04:25 PM   #1
Justin Jacobsen

Profile:

I was having problems with my flexibility trying to learn O lifting techniques. I got some great advice from Lincoln (http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/1467.html), but was still experiencing problems getting "down there". Then I started using the best tool for developing this kind of flexibility (IMO): the box squat. It turns out that I wasn't inflexible; my mind just wasn't letting my muscles travel their full range of motion. Those of you that have read Pavel's Relax into Stretch will know exactly what I am talking about. Use the box as a crutch until you are comfortable with the range of motion and balance. You will see almost instant improvement.

From this experience I came upon this observation. The triumph of Crossfit over bodybuilding is that it trains the CNS as well as the muscles. One cannot argue that bodybuilders don't know how to train muscles, well some of them anyway. It is just that those muscles are not very effective to use, because the CNS training is not there. What makes strength functional is that your mind knows how to call it up when it is needed. Muscle fiber recruitment and all that.

Just my $0.02

Oh, btw...keep those abs tight on all of those compound lifts! It helps a lot!
Old 12-02-2003, 09:53 PM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Justin-

Great observation. I have bben working the same stuff with knee and hip replacement patients.
Frequently the person has adequate strength and flexability but lacks proper neural recruitment and biomechanics. Muted hip function strikes yet again.
Robb
Old 12-02-2003, 11:26 PM   #3
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
I think you've discovered the most powerful yet elusive tool ever: finding the exercise variation, among hundreds of good-to-excellent exercise variations, that gets YOUR head in the right spot and fixes YOUR problem.