CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 11:21 AM   #31
Michael Buzny

Profile:
Re: Military leaning away from CrossFit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Vessey View Post
Coach,

Again, excellent to see you weigh in on this. This is excellent material, along with your comments about Mr. Wing (?) from the National War College lectures. Makes me want to push even more for "combat fitness program" workouts from PSP staff. Maybe I'll have a chat with Maj Rutland.
You can also try suggesting that CFSU (O) PSP staff, have a little brain storming session with the PSP staff at that little farm on the corner of Franktown and Dwyer Hill Rd's.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:25 AM   #32
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Luby View Post
I don't really think it's cool how things went down here. Coach, with all due respect you didn't have to divulge these people's identities and insult him like that.

I understand you're ****ed, but...
I disagree. If someone is going to talk trash behind your back the absoulte best thing you can do is air it out. If there are legitimate criticisms they can stand on their merit. If they are not then they can fall on their lack of merit.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:50 AM   #33
Tim Luby

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Cummings View Post
I disagree. If someone is going to talk trash behind your back the absoulte best thing you can do is air it out. If there are legitimate criticisms they can stand on their merit. If they are not then they can fall on their lack of merit.
Depends. There's a difference between the misinformed and the malicious. People who intentionally cause harm deserve a smackdown no doubt. But the misinformed need to be won over by the facts. After that, If they're too stupid or ignorant to acknowledge the truth, well that's a different story.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:56 AM   #34
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Let's not turn this into a thread about Coach's diplomacy.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:41 PM   #35
Lara Lewis

Profile:

Has anyone thought about sending these folks (the AF civilians and the MSgt writing the emails) to a Level 1 cert, free of charge? Seriously! I think if they went to one, they would have a much better idea of what CrossFit is all about. They would see that it can be scaled to meet anyone's needs, that form is emphasized to the participants, and that the certs are conducted in a very professional manner.

I went to the Level 1 cert at Ft. Dix in November and was pleasantly surprised to find out that it was Ft. Dix MWR that brought the cert there, and one of the trainers from the gym was there. No idea what kind of long term effect it will have, but it certainly seems like a positive thing to me. One of the emails mentioned that they didn't want PT leaders to lead CrossFit PT until they were certified. Then why not bring a cert to your post/base and get people certified!

Old 02-04-2009, 12:43 PM   #36
William Hunter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
Let's not turn this into a thread about Coach's diplomacy.
I'm not sure diplomacy is the correct term

I've had the great pleasure of hanging out around here for over 4 years, soaking up the CF culture and always learning. Coach does not post often, but when he does it's well worth the read. He doesn't type words, he LOBS CANNONBALLS!

If you call him out (or call CF out) you better duck!

Being a tax paying civilian I want our troops to have access to WHATEVER will have them the most physically and mentally prepared.

Sorry for the hijack.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:44 PM   #37
Ganine Vanalst

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Luby View Post
Depends. There's a difference between the misinformed and the malicious. People who intentionally cause harm deserve a smackdown no doubt. But the misinformed need to be won over by the facts. After that, If they're too stupid or ignorant to acknowledge the truth, well that's a different story.
Willful ignorance and disregard for facts is an insidious form of malice that is rampant in society today. Not knowing/being misinformed is in and of itself ok. However, not knowing/being misinformed ceases to be an acceptable excuse if you don't attempt to educate yourself PRIOR to taking actions that can have potentially negative consequences. Making statements of fact on matters that you don't have a full understanding of and spreading fear-based misinformation that can be potentially damaging is, in my opinion, a hostile act.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:47 PM   #38
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles Clarke View Post
This is not even remotely true. Quite the contrary, the Marine Corps is actually moving closer to CrossFit every day.
I just spent the past 3 years as a Series and Company Commander in the Recruit Training Regiment at Marine Corps Recruit Depot, Parris Island. During that time, we restructured the recruits’ physical training regimen to bring it much closer in line with CrossFit doctrine.
Long, slow distance runs were replaced by shorter, high intensity workouts. Thrusters, air squats, KB swings and burpees were all added into the mix.
This resulted in far fewer lower extremity injuries (shin splints, sprains, etc) over the course of a training cycle and increased performance across our measured spectrum.
I’m speaking anecdotally, but there is quantifiable evidence to back it up. Every training cycle is monitored closely by civilian athletic trainers who capture all data beginning with the recruits’ Initial Strength Test all the way through their final Physical Fitness Test (PFT). The numbers do not lie; CrossFit works.
I challenge anyone to take a walk through Camp Lejeune, Camp Pendleton, 29 Palms or any other Marine Corps installation between the hours of 1100-1300 or after 1700. You will, undoubtedly, find scores of Marines swinging kettle bells, thrusting barbells, or sprinting along the road. During working hours, abandoned gymnastics rings dangling from pull-up bars are the tell-tale signs that CrossFit is in practice.
Just this past year, the Marine Corps instituted the Combat Fitness Test (CFT) to supplement our current PFT. Where the PFT measures standard fitness via pull-ups, sit-ups and a 3 mile run, the CFT measures functional fitness via a series of timed combat- related events. Each of these events is rooted firmly in the same functional physical training that CrossFit teaches.
If not for the Marine Corps, I never would have known about CrossFit. If not for CrossFit, I would not currently be in the best shape of my life.

I wish this was the case when I went through Boot Camp in 2002 or during my enlistment during the sequential years. When I finally picked up SGT. and had lead over PT sessions, I worked in a lot of crossfit ideals But up until that point it was the typical, 5 mile run, static stretches and pushups. I am glad that our military is finally training the way they should have been all along. To be one of the elite fighting forces in the world the Marines were not training to support the rigorous duties they delegate to our troops. Next up, step up the training for MCMAP and make it much more real world applicable. There are good things in there but also a lot of watered down filler as well and not nearly enough training to maintain any kind of working knowledge of the skills you tested for.
I am also proud of Coach for defending himself but also the whole community. I deal with misinformed people every day that do not have a basic understanding of crossfit, yet, openly dismiss and criticize it.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:03 PM   #39
Barry Cooper

Profile:

I sell things for a living, and have for quite some time. PROFESSIONAL salespeople take the time to understand their competition, and if they have anything to say about it, they are informed, and give credit where it is due. Personally, I have reason to believe I understand my competitor's products better than most of them do, so given the opportunity, I always distinguish myself. I don't get every sale (although I do get most of them), but I like to think I always earn respect.

This, again, is what PROFESSIONALS do. Amateurs, of course, by contrast, say what sounds good, and make things up as they go along, assuming that if they keep smiling the person in front of them will never wise up.

The thing that sticks in my craw--and I'm sure Coach is the same way--is the IGNORANCE parading as knowledge out there. These people have literally not risen to the level of knowing what they don't know. They not only can't describe CrossFit accurately, they don't even know that what they are castigating bears no resemblance to the actual article. This is the lowest circle of ignorance: confidence combined with intellectual darkness.

In my own formulations, I would equate that with moral darkness, since those who are trying to do the right thing will generally find their way, whereas those who don't want to know the right way, will of course never find it.

The NSCA--at least as represented by this individual, in this email--is not trying to do the right thing. They are trying to scare people, and using dishonesty to do it. People like that, in my profession, don't last long. They can usually build up a few buddy-buddy relationships here and there, but since they aren't actually trying to solve real problems, their actual value is low, and so is their income and career potential.

If you want to make a living, be useful. That is, I think, the shortest summation of my philosophy of work. CrossFit is useful.

That's enough for now.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:15 PM   #40
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Well said, Barry.

I once had a boss who named the state of consciousness you are describing: "Aggressively Stupid."

The way you say it sounds more artful and menacing.

Closed Thread