CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:24 PM   #1
Nabil Langkilde

Profile:
CrossFit Business Plan?

I'm in the process of finding a space and have had to draft a business plan to show to potential landlords. Does anyone have any tips for things to definitely include or definitely leave out when drafting a business plan for a CrossFit location?

Thanks!
Old 12-21-2008, 09:18 AM   #2
Dean Bozzano

Profile:
Re: CrossFit Business Plan?

I have been in business for over 25 years and have leased many locations and never had to present a landlord with a full business plan. They would not read it anyway. Prepare a summary business plan, of 1-2 pages discussing who you are, what your concept is and a few details on your customer base... they may ask for financials which could be part of the lease requirements. In that case make it simple and high level, no great details and make sure it is conservative. You don't want to show losses as they may wonder how you will pay the rent but you don't want to show great profits either. The less information you give out the better, they can always ask for more details if they want them.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:32 PM   #3
Brian Wilson

Profile:

Listen to Dean.

We submitted a Biz Plan to our landlord, it was completely worthless with respect to trying to predict reality. We had budgeted for 30 members by December, we're at 120.

Make something look presentable that makes some kind of sense, use it to at least narrow down what you think your operating expenses will be. Then throw it out the day you sign the lease, because you'll either make your business a success or you won't, but it will have nothing to do with your business plan.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:56 PM   #4
Dean Bozzano

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Wilson View Post
... because you'll either make your business a success or you won't, but it will have nothing to do with your business plan.
Amen brother, that is as much truth as you will ever hear.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:36 PM   #5
John Seiler

Profile:

Nabil,

Shoot me a PM. I have (or at least had; I'm at work) a quick and dirty cash flow spreadsheet you can use. Like prior posters mentioned it doesn't always matter to a potential landlord. Still, some like to see it and so it won't hurt to have one. What if you find your dream spot and the landlord is the one guy in ten that wants to see something on paper?

If you really want a business plan I recommend BusinessPlan Pro. It's about $100. The program formats everything and asks you questions. You answer the questions and voila! If you've never opened a business before I think it's a good idea. Because the program asks you all sorts of questions it really helps you solidify your thinking. That alone is worth $100.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:54 AM   #6
Leanne Andali

Profile:

I am in the process of looking for a building to open a crossfit facility. We are working on a business plan right now, anyone has any information or feedback, please let me know. Thanks
Old 07-28-2009, 07:33 PM   #7
Stuart Brauer

Profile:

I would strongly recommend Business Plan Pro. Definitely worth the $100. It will help spell everything out for you, create professional graphs and charts and allow you acceess to thousands of sample business plans for you to use as a reference.

Also, if you email John Seiler (posted above) he will share with you his plans for GatewayCF. Great guy with some great info to share! Thanks again John!
Old 07-28-2009, 11:01 PM   #8
James lee

Profile:

+ 1 for Business plan pro. worth the money if you've never created a biz plan before.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:48 AM   #9
Leanne Andali

Profile:

Thankyou for the feedback, greatly appreciated.